Two weird issues with recent MLV

Questions specific to Megalogviewer

Moderator: LT401Vette

elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Two weird issues with recent MLV

Post by elaw »

I've got two strange things going on... I know I'm probably not providing enough information (because I don't have much) but maybe you can suggest some troubleshooting steps?

First in the few most recent versions of MLV (I'm on 4.0.19 now but this has been happening sporadically for a few months) sometimes when I double-click a log file, MLV will launch but not display the file, and is completely frozen. It doesn't respond to any inputs or clicking the "x" to close the window or the "close window" command from the taskbar. I have to go into task manager and kill the javaw process. It happens pretty unpredictably, and only on my home computer (I have MLV installed both at home and work). 99% of the time when it happens, if I double-click the same file again, another copy of MLV will launch and work correctly.

The second one is even weirder. When I updated recently to the latest version of MLV on my work computer, it seemed to corrupt TunerStudio! No matter what I did the program would not launch... double-clicking a tune file, double-clicking the shortcut on the desktop or start menu, or double-clicking the executable itself. There would be no sign it ever started - in task manager there would be no javaw processes shown. I eventually fixed it by reinstalling TS. Edit: I forgot to mention this behavior did not seem to depend on whether MLV was actually running at the time - it would happen regardless.

On my home computer there's a similar but different problem. Double-clicking a tune file does nothing - TS does not launch like it has for years. But if I open TS by clicking the desktop icon, it launches fine and I can open a tune and work with it. I suspect reinstalling TS would fix the problem, but I'll hold off doing that if you want me to for troubleshooting.

Both machines are Windows 7 with pretty much all recent updates. Work machine OS is 64-bit, home is 32-bit.

Any thoughts?
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Brian H EFI
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Two weird issues with recent MLV

Post by Brian H EFI »

Could you please post the appDebug files for each installation of TunerStudio and MLV so I can take a look.
Please label which PC they came from Work / Home.

It sounds like MLV is picking up the installed JRE the first time you click the file rather then using the included
JRE, that can definitely cause some issues like you are describing.

Have you recently updated the JRE on either of your PC ?