Graph Colours & Log Navigation

Questions specific to Megalogviewer

Moderator: LT401Vette

motthomas
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Graph Colours & Log Navigation

Post by motthomas »

I've just copped that you can specify that MLV displays data in a single graph only with up to 16 traces in that graph and to me that is brilliant because I never liked having the data in separate graphs. The only issue is that there are still only 4 colours available (white, red, green, yellow) which means you end up with 4 parameters with the same colour & style line in a 16 trace graph and that makes viewing difficult.

Have I missed a trick on this or is this just the way it is? I wonder if it may be possible to have more colours for the traces? Even if there were 8 colours which then repeat twice but then with different line styles for the second repetition of the colour (solid vs dashed line). It looks like the colours are already in the system because they are used on graphs 5-8 if you specify 8 graphs. Just that the first 4 graphs will repeat the same four colours and it looks like these are the first 16 colours picked up when you move to 1 graph with 16 traces.

On another note, I wonder if it may be possible to consider the following idea for a later release? At the moment you need to choose what the mouse wheel does when navigating graphs. i.e. either zooming in on traces or scrolling through the log. Would it be possible to fix mouse wheel to zooming in & out and have scrolling carried out by clicking the middle mouse button to activate and then moving the mouse left/right to scroll the graph? Pretty much the same way that you currently can do on any web page to scroll up and down. You could then click the middle mouse button again to deactivate scrolling if you want to look around a particular area of the graph. I think this would make navigating a large log file much easier.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Graph Colours & Log Navigation

Post by LT401Vette »

I've just copped that you can specify that MLV displays data in a single graph only with up to 16 traces in that graph and to me that is brilliant because I never liked having the data in separate graphs. The only issue is that there are still only 4 colours available (white, red, green, yellow) which means you end up with 4 parameters with the same colour & style line in a 16 trace graph and that makes viewing difficult.
Options --> Graph Trace Colors
If you want more than 16 traces on a graph, you can do that by editing the MegaLogViewer.properties/HogLogViewer.properties file. It is only limited to 16 because it is messy at that point.

If you prefer all the data in 1 graph, you may also prefer "Quick Trace Selection", that lets you select what fields are graphed by clicking on the readout. You can also right click on the readout to set it to a specific graph or a specific color.

Sounds like a reasonable idea on the mouse wheel. Perhaps leave it selectable (not to mess up anyone's world that likes one or the other), but have a wheel click toggle that setting.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
motthomas
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Graph Colours & Log Navigation

Post by motthomas »

Awesome! Thank you. I'm not sure how I missed that one when it was right there in front of me.

Having a wheel click toggle whether it zooms or scrolls would be a nice feature alright and should still make logs very quick to navigate. :)