Looking to upload my own CAN database for log

For discussion of other tuning and logging softwares

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

cwdodson88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Looking to upload my own CAN database for log

Post by cwdodson88 »

Well, not sure it this is the appropriate place to post this. I work with EV powertrains, and our inverters are supplied by Rinehart Motion Systems. It seems that there isn't any good CAN message decoding software with graphical analysis out there that speaks car talk. I've got a project going on that would be helped out a whole lot if I could log or even just view the logs of both a gas engine and an EV inverter. Problem is that all the logging from the inverter is done over CAN and for the life of me I can't find a single, stand alone software, that will interpret the inverter CAN database side by side with the Megasquirt ECU of the gas engine.

In a perfect world, I would be able to take a software that is able to log the gas engine, and upload my database side by side with the existing megasquirt database. Basically, I need to be able to tune an AC electric motor around a 4 cylinder gas engine and at this point its all guess and check.

Anyone know of any CAN software that can lay out a decent looking graph (like MLV) using two different databases? I have software that I can view in real time, but the logging really lacks when it comes to viewing stored csv log files. For the most part its all just raw CAN messages, and boy does it take a ton of time to decipher.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Looking to upload my own CAN database for log

Post by Manu »

Hi,

Did you look at this ?
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 33&t=67858

Regards,
Manu
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
cwdodson88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cwdodson88 »

That looks exactly like what I am wanting, but when loading it into say MLV, will the log show the new fields? Some of my main monitoring parameters are things like pack voltage, input currents, rpm/second, etc. Will those fields be viewable after the conversion?
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

If they are in .dbc file and selected for conversion, anything is OK with MLV. I have to say that I use MLV HD.

Ha, while i read your first post again, you have to merge your 2 databases in one. CANconverter can open only one database.

cwdodson88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cwdodson88 »

Thats fine, I could combine my database in order to run with MLV, or even run dual instances one with the gas engine and one with the electric. As long as I can get the timestamps matched up and my commands for datalogging synced I should be able to accomplish my goal.

Ideally, being able to overlay the two logs, and databases would be what I want, but anything is better than what I have.

If I sent you a sample log of the EV side along with the DBC, could you give me a glimpse of what it would look like? I just want to see before I buy, but I also need my bosses approval on the CC charge.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hi,

I don't think I can use your log file for demonstration because the software is designed to operate with CSS log format. I don't know the format of your LOG files.

Anyway you can send a log to me and I'll tell you if it's compatible.

Also, I have an excel macro that merge many DBCs in one. If you send me your 2 DBC, I can easily merge them.

BR,
Manu