Sync loss reason 17 at 6000rpm

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Holmestead
MS/Extra Newbie

Sync loss reason 17 at 6000rpm

Post by Holmestead »

Hi all, hoping someone can help out with an issue that I haven't been able to work out.
I'm using a DIYPNP using firmware version 3.2.5, running a turbo 4AGE engine with nippondenso 24/1 cas.
My issue is that i am constantly encountering sync loss at approx 6000rpm, engine backfires and will not rev past.
I have tried all variations of Ignition input and second trigger capture to no avail.
I have run my VR sensor wires through a dedicated shielded cable with the shielding earthed at ms sensor earth.
Monitoring crank and cam signals using the composite logger everything appears ok until 6000 rpm where the cam signal appears to disappear causing sync loss, and other times the cam signal remains, yet the composite logger still logs a sync loss.. The cam and crank triggers actually appear to be happening at a very similar time, could that be the issue? How could that happen? The teeth passing over the crank and cam sensor, when looking at them, don't appear to be passing at the same time... I experimented with using the G1 as opposed to the G2 sensor, sync loss still occurs, but using the G1 it appears that the RPM doesnt register a drop to zero as the G2 does. I have a datalog of using the G1, but I have reached my attached file limit it seems. Also, monitoring the composite logger while using the G1 sensor, there appears to be better spacing between the cam and crank signals.
My cam and crank sensor wires are running through the same shielded wire, could they be causing interference with each other? Should I run independent shielded wires?
Also, I have the cam vr running through the lm1815 conditioner circuit.
One more thing, is there any definitive way to adjust the cam VR pot? If it is triggering at all, does that mean the pot is adjusted correctly? Or should i just install the recommended 51k resistor in the R21 slot?
Cheers, Dan.
Holmestead
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Sync loss reason 17 at 6000rpm

Post by Holmestead »

Attached is a log using the G1 sensor.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The G sensor ends up right on top of the NE signal - try changing Ignition Input Capture and/or the second trigger active edge. You will need to re-set the tooth #1 angle after changing this.

With the LM1815 circuit, no trim pot adjustment on the cam is possible or required.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
drake501
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by drake501 »

I'm having an identical issue but min looses the crank sensor at exactly 6000 rpm and will not Rev past I'm running 3.2.2 I want to say on a microsquirt.
drake501
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by drake501 »

correction i am using 3.3.2
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

So, what happened when you tried the recommended fix? Do you have a composite log that looks exactly the same and are you using the same MSQ file? If not, please post a copy of your own MSQ file and composite log.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Holmestead
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Holmestead »

Ok so I possibly may have confused myself, because I must have actually wired the crank vr through the LM1815 circuit, because the way I ended up fixing the issue ( Yeoow! ) was adjusting the cam pot while monitoring the composite logger. Something strange though, the composite logger this time, was showing the crank teeth as more of a square wave as opposed to pure vertical lines. The cam trigger initially was showing up as a vertical line, then as I was adjusting the cam pot, I managed to match the shape of the cam trigger to the crank trigger ( both appearing as square waves )..
It works perfectly now, no longer logs a sync loss, and revs amazingly...
Thoughts?
Cheers, Dan.