Using MS3X card with MS2 / sequential

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Using MS3X card with MS2 / sequential

Post by knightrous »

SymTech Laboratories wrote:
knightrous wrote:Is there any time restraints for Beta testers? I'm looking to have my V6 wired up around January and would be keen to beta the MS2X adaptor.
No, the module has been thoroughly tested at this point. We would appreciate your feedback if you come across any bugs, but we don't anticipate that happening. If you take a beta module, it's yours to keep.
I'll be in touch next week on ordering one :)
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X
daxtojeiro
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by daxtojeiro »

Hi,
I wonder if you could tell me where you get the 40pin socket from?
I'm developing an MS2X card with EGT amp, Cam input (VR and Hall) 2 more injector drivers (the same as the main board, not the surface mount transistors), a couple of digital outputs, a couple of ADC inputs and a pair of digital inputs.

I have tried several of the wrap round style, but the pins are too large to fit into the main boards socket. I dont really want to solder them to the main board, I hoped to make it a plug-n-play option, but so far the stumbling point is that socket :(
thanks
Phil
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... _Index.htm for MS1 Extra Manuals
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/ for MS2-Extra Manuals
http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm 5.0L TVR powered Cobra Replica (MSnS-E)
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

UnaClocker wrote:I didn't realize that the $1,000+ Eagle CAD was low cost.
There is a free, albeit limited, version of EAGLE. Most of the professional packages (Altium, PADS, Allegro/OrCad, etc.) cost $5,000 - $10,000+.
Not an ad, just an FYI - I don't work for Eagle! :D

Eagle Lite (1 schematic sheet, 2-layer board, 100mmx80mm routing area - board outline can be bigger; enough room and processing power to create a yet-to-be-licensed MS clone) is free for hobbyists. If you want to use these designs to make and sell product, the license is $69 (no, really!). I have one of these for my own nascent business. While I've run up against the layout limits of the board router, I haven't been able to over-fill the schematic, so "one sheet" really isn't a limitation so long as you're careful about how you place the symbols - it's really annoying when you come back a week later and can't read your own schematic ... :lol:

Eagle Standard (99 schematic sheets, 6 layers, 100x160mm routing area) is $820 for a 1-user license, including schematic, layout, and autorouter.

Eagle Pro (999 sheets, 16 layers, 4mx4m) is $1640. If you don't want the autorouter, knock off $495.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

daxtojeiro wrote:I wonder if you could tell me where you get the 40pin socket from?
If you're asking us, we're using part number 316-43-164-41-006000 from Mill-Max. You can find distributors stocking this part in the UK on their website: http://www.mill-max.com/index.cfm Good luck!
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
daxtojeiro
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by daxtojeiro »

daxtojeiro wrote:I wonder if you could tell me where you get the 40pin socket from?
If you're asking us, we're using part number 316-43-164-41-006000 from Mill-Max. You can find distributors stocking this part in the UK on their website: http://www.mill-max.com/index.cfm Good luck!
Thanks for that! Hadn't come across these,
thanks,
Phil
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... _Index.htm for MS1 Extra Manuals
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/ for MS2-Extra Manuals
http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm 5.0L TVR powered Cobra Replica (MSnS-E)
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I have been using the first gen prototype for the last two weeks after my MS3 died, plug in the MS2 to the unmodified mainboard and MS3x and fired it up once I fixed the dwell polarity (the nomenclature changed in more recent firmware)

Came in very handy.

Hardwyre has been off the board for awhile and I cannot find his email address... I have the latest Eagle files he did, plugs into an unmodified mainboard and allows full sequential fuel and spark via an MS3X.

As the intent was clealy GPL liscense I'll be releasing the latest version of the Eagle files here if (I don't hear otherwise) in a week.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Cool, I always wondered what ever happened to the open source half of this. Thanks. Glad to hear the thing worked for somebody.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
JET
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JET »

interested in a board...I guess there are none available? cheers
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I will post the eagle files when I get home.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Here you go, as promised (OK, belatedly, I was still hoping for Jasons blessing, life must have got in the way)

This was the last design he did in late 2012, it was pretty well hashed out, but I did not try every config/possible setting.

Some trace at the legs need cut to use as a plug in full sequential setup for a 4 banger.
(by design, part of this versions rework was the staggered sockets allowing this and easier assembly)

Should cost ~$15 to build in onsies.

The jumpers usage should be obvious, solder bridges should work, but made for zero ohm SMD resistors.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

"zero Ohm SMD resistors" - ok, NOW that land pattern makes sense. :D
TTR Ignition Systems
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I had a look through the files, and I've made a few (ok, several) changes. First, any pin or trace that needed to be cut is no longer connected - no cutting required. I've simplified the selection options (10 launch pads?), and used through-hole DIP switches for function selection instead of solder jumpers / SMD jumpers. If you're feeling really cheap and don't plan on changing your arrangement, you could use wire jumpers instead of the switches.

Basically, most of the various MS3X functions are each mapped to only a single MS2 pin - take a look at the schematic for more details. There are only so many output channels on the 3X board, and only so many pins capable of driving an output, and presumably most of them will be in use as ignition channels.

There are a few oddball functions; the IDLE channel is driven by the FIdle pin, but the board FIdle circuit remains functional. The same idea is used with the IAC pins; in addition to their native function which can still be used, they are also driving NITROUS1 & 2 (1A & 2A) as well as the main board injector circuits PWM0/1 (1B & 2B). Since the main injector FETs use an inverting driver, the inverted (B) IAC pins are used to drive them - when IAC1 is ON, PWM0 (Inj1) is ON.

The parts add up to about $12 from Mouser; the boards are 2.2" x 2.2", or just bigger than the really cheap Itead 5cmx5cm deal. I've included the files if anybody wants to order / make some of their own. If there is enough interest, I might get a batch the next time I order in some boards.

Edit: updated design added below
Last edited by dontz125 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTR Ignition Systems
JET
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JET »

this is all confusing ....I can't run seq. on a ms2 with a rotary as there is not enough timer channels...so I just want one for a cleaner install/functionally of the ms3x card and stop gap to go to a ms3 later on...so the board design above is opitmized for for running full seq.? Does that cut the options if one doesn't run seq.?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I'm not sure what you mean about full seq on the rotary - how many injector channels do you need?

I have updated my adaptor design to add two small jumpers under the MS2 card that will connect DIP40-21 and 22 to the main INJ drivers; two more small jumpers select whether the IAC1B and IAC2B pins connect to JS1 and JS3, or drive the main INJ drivers. This will allow the option to use the standard 2 channels and the 4 IAC pins for idle control. These jumpers are under the MS2 card on the adaptor; there wasn't any more room for switches! :)
MS2X Adaptor r1.sch.jpg
MS2X Adaptor r1.brd.jpg
TTR Ignition Systems
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I'm in for two boards of the latest design, PM me if you decide to do a run.

The pad/jumper design had one small upside--- it was easy to visualize the one function per set of pads.
The multiple choice locations for some features were due to supporting EDIS and the various other legal pin usages.

dontz125, thank you for continuing development, I suck at EAGLE so far, even with 3 monitors.
More practice required, no doubt.

I'd keep the injector drive pairs to J1 for the /6 and V8 folk.

Can't help on the rotary, anyone know what it needs to run sequential or at least use the trailing spark setup?
JET
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JET »

There's not enough hardware timers other then seq. running leading/trailing together...not such a good idea on a turbo setup.
Anybody making up these boards? pm'd dontz125 on a couple of occasions but didn't get a response..cheers
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

JET wrote:There's not enough hardware timers other then seq. running leading/trailing together...not such a good idea on a turbo setup.
Anybody making up these boards? pm'd dontz125 on a couple of occasions but didn't get a response..cheers

I'm considering ordering a few boards, should be about the same cost as the prototype runs, perhaps $15.
How many do you want? You'll have to source your own headers etc, but the redesign allows use of very common parts.
JET
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JET »

I'll take one for sure..cheers
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Hi, JET.

My apologies for the dead air; life has been quite irritating lately, and is seriously interfering with the business. I haven't ordered any of these boards, and if someone's doing a run, please don't wait on me.

Sorry for the annoyance ...
TTR Ignition Systems
JET
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JET »

no worries...hopefully piledriver can get some made...cheers