LC2 wide-band installed - fast stall

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

LC2 wide-band installed - fast stall

Post by DonMaximo »

I had this PNP Mustang 5.0 up & running OK with the narrow-band sensors. Did some street driving while allowing autotune to function. Aside from Accel, things seemed normal for a simple plug-n-play run with little to no tuning.

Following my wide-band install, she stalls with no throttle.

I've disconnected the narrow band sensors and installed a single LC-2 controller, sensor, and gauge.
Controller Yellow Analog #1 --> Gauge
Controller Brown Analog #2 --> OPTIONS connector -back of boz- PIN#21 (defined as Oxygen Sensor Input)

I performed a fresh-air calibrate according to the Innovate directions.

I used Innovate LM programmer to set voltage outputs to be same between Analog #1 & #2 (0v=7.35 / 5v=22.39)

I next went to the Studio Tuner and selected LC-2 and the defaults matched the Programmed LC-2 settings from above.
Under "fuel Setting" I set EGO control to: Single Wide band, 1st ego port = Local (Is this correct ?)

After startup, the engine barely idles and slowly dies. If I gently stay on throttle to keep her running, the AFR stays at 7.35. Sporadically, it will jump up to 22, but immediately crashes back down.

The Innovate log works showed this very rich condition (AFR=7) as well. Basically, the TunerStudio and Innovate dashboards showed the same AFR behavior outcome.

Could someone have a look at my config and Log and suggest or tell me what I've missed. I suspect it's right under my nose, but I can't see the forest for the trees on this one.

Many thanks in advance,

-D
1992 Mustang Conv,
363" Man-o-War (8.2"Deck), Dart Pro-1,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
Innovate DLG-1 (dual WB O2)
Ignition LS2 coil on plug (Crank trigger+ Explorer cam sensor)
DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: LC2 wide-band installed - fast stall

Post by DonMaximo »

I "may" have spoke too soon. It seems I left the TB opened a little from the prior work. I suppose this could contribute to a lean condition.

I'll revisit the TB tomorrow to ensure it's closed, ever so gently. I'll then recalibrate the TPS, and have another GO at it.
1992 Mustang Conv,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
ewflyer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ewflyer »

Did you initialize the LC-2 wideband sensor in Tunerstudio? I think all sensors have to be initialized (unless the sensor is a Megasquirt/Microsquirt default setting, like the GM IAT and CLT sensors).
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DonMaximo »

I pulled front fender and disconnected MSD. Basically, put the stock ignition system back into place. Once I got the car running 'decently' with little tuning, I then moved on to replacing narrowband with wideband sensor. Once I get this in order, I'll concentrate on fuel/Accel enrichment.
Afterwards, I'll convert over to crank trigger, coil-pack, wasted gate.
Incremental changes so I don't bury myself in a variety of issues and have a reasonable means to backing out changes.

All of this is quite new to me, I'm reading Performance Fuel Injection Systems book by Cramer & Hoffman, a very good book for my level. Been traveling quite a bit, so I've not had much time on tuning, forums, etc. November-December should be better months for investing time and testing.

Thanks for asking ! I always appreciate experienced and knowledgeable assistance.

-Darryl
1992 Mustang Conv,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

only thing i really see out of place i really high kpa at idle, how big is your cam? ms vac hose pushed in enough, good placement on manifold?

a log from your pre-wideband setup would be helpful.

it is also possible th lc2 is giving you fits, i have had bad experiences with innovative stuff.
DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DonMaximo »

Cam specs: gross lift .585/.580 duration@0.05 242/248 (nothing radical) Additional canister installed for good measure/braking.
Engine Vacuum is/was acceptable. I would typically pull 19" while cruising.

I started with Base PNP tune, changed cubes 363", injector 36#, A/C off, recalibrate all devices under TS Tools.

I'll be unavailable for 8 days beginning tomorrow, so I don't expect much work can be accomplished while I'm gone.

When I return, I plan to:
1) put a vacuum gauge on the MAP line coming from engine.
It is currently plumbed between fuel pressure regulator and intake.
2) I'm going to swap in my Stock ECU W/ chip, plug narrowband back in, and confirm "IF" my new LC-2 is working correctly.

If however, someone can review the 2 datalogs and tunes and determine an obvious problem, perhaps I'll have something else to test when I return home.

Apologies for dropping this thread for the time being.

Thank again,

-Darryl
1992 Mustang Conv,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro