Which code?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Which code?

Post by BaldiGit »

hi All,

What code should I be using with a Microsquirt V3. Last time I did it I used the MS2 Extra 3.3.3. But I've found V3.380a on useasydocs.com specific to Microsquirt V3 ???

Have I done wrong :?

Also is the 'Extra' firmware someones tweak, or am I completely confused? :shock:
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Which code?

Post by grom_e30 »

V3.380a and useasydocs.com, are for the b&g code.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

Sorry not sure what that means.....

Is it a case that there's more than one place to get code then? And if so.... which is best?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

this is a forum specifically for the extra code, its a firmware to run megasquirt products that has more features than the b&g code, the forum has a lot more hits as well. http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html you can find manuals for your ecu and firmware downloads in that link that are specific to the extra code variant of the firmware.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

Ahhh. Now that makes sense.
So either is correct but the extra has more tweaks. I was worried I'd flashed the wrong one and might have done some damage.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the ecu will run with both quite happily, but as said the extra has more features and a larger user group, the thing i will point out if you go with the extra code read the instructions on installing the firmware as the zip file you down load has the firmware for the megasquirt2, microsquirt, microsquirt module & and the diypnp all bundled together. and it is possible to install the incorrect firmware for the ecu, it will not harm the ecu but can give unpredictable results on a running engine with the incorrect firmware.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Depends on which processor you are using.

MS1
MS2 or
MS3

You can use old code if you have a good reason

You can use "current stable" <<< recommended

Or if you like life on the edge Beta

http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

grom_e30 wrote:the ecu will run with both quite happily, but as said the extra has more features and a larger user group,
The vast majority of MS2 users are running MS2/Extra. The other support forums are barely active.

The configuration interface is quite different in the MS2/BG code too, so you are likely to be baffled if you've used an MSEXTRA version before.

EDIT: For info, all current Microsquirts from DIYAutoTune come pre-loaded with MS2/Extra firmware.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't realised that the literature I was reading at random was from 2 different camps. It really explains a lot, as some of it was mentioning features I did or didn't have and I wrongly assumed it was for a different
model of Megasquirt/Microsquirt....Doh..!! :o

So now I'm wondering if I have loaded the correct code in that case.

I am having a problem that randomly when cruising under 2500 rpm the car will cut out, touch the throttle and it's back. And looking back at the logs, the injector pulse width drops out. It literally drops off the bottom of the chart till the throttle is moved. Consulting my Megasquirt Guru.. he says (and I quote):

These drop outs are not normal and to be honest cannot be explained by the map or the log. It looks as though there is either an internal conflict or possibly a code error. My best suggestion would be to re-load the latest code and re-burn a new map.

So I updated from MS2 Extra 3.2.5 to 3.3.3 this morning. Upgraded the ini to 3.3.3 and re burned the map. Took the car for a spin and it's still there...!!! But as before there are times you could convince yourself it's gone..... Then it's back, really random..!!

I have the little Microsquirt V3. And from the code options of:

Megasquirt 2
Megasquirt DIYAuto
Microsquirt
Microsquirt (cased)
Megasquirt 3
(sorry if the above isn't quite correct.... I wrote it from memory)

I chose Microsquirt (cased). This seemed the most appropriate one as it is in a waterproof case.

Was this correct?
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

Post an msq and msl of the issue happening.

Does pw go to zero? Perhaps sync loss or overrun fuel cut activating when you don't want it to be.
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

I think you might have something there.

The PW does indeed drop to zero at the same time as the duty Cycle and the words "Lost Sync count" are on the log. And the fuel overrun was one of the last things tweaked...... Wheres my laptop.. :D

Where do I post msq and msl files?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

There is a link at the top of the page 'forum help page' that coveres how to save msq files an data logs and how to upload them
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

I've attached the files with a brief description of my setup.

I've had to zip the msl to get under the 1Mb limit...... Sorry. I've payed up for Megalog Viewer but haven't worked it out yet. I'm assuming I could have edit it down a bit.

Also there's a picture to demonstrate the drop out from a previous log.

Many Thanks
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

By the way.... Have I chosen the correct code (Microsquirt (cased)) for the Microsquirt V3
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

That's the correct firmware.
Your over-run fuel cut settings are all to cock. You have it set to cut fuel below 120kPa !!! Normally that should be 30-40kPa. There's also zero delay set.

I'd suggest just turning it off for now.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

Yes I was having a look and decided to turn it off for now.

I think it was turned on because I was complaining that it was popping on the overrun. But it's far from tuned at the moment and maybe that's one of the last setting that should be tweaked.

Thanks for having a look. I'd love to try it out now, but it's started raining and I've not got all the wet weather gear on it yet.

Ill let you know when I've tried it out.
BaldiGit
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BaldiGit »

Ran it today and it was smooth as silk.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Happy Xmas