Ms2 climbing tps 4age

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ms2 climbing tps 4age

Post by Spit4ag »

OK, I'm stumped right now. I just got the ms2 v3.0 in my car which has a 4age with silvertop ITBs. I'm trying to calibrate the sensors and all of them have gone fine except the tps. It just climbs, I tried to check if I had it wired backwards, but no difference. It started raining so I didn't get further than that. It is a 4 wire tps, but only 5v, sensor ground and tps signal wires are hooked up. Wiring harness is custom made, and runs through a weatherpack 22pin bulkhead connector.

I probably missed something small, but darned if I know what. Thanks.

I might have just answered my own question. I tested the tps I have and it just acts like a switch, not linear like it should be. So I have a new tps on the way. I'll update when it gets here.
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Ms2 climbing tps 4age

Post by suberimakuri »

Hopefully just faulty TPS.
Off memory...
The IDLE pin on the TPS works like a switch, it connects to earth when TPS is near closed.
The sensor(name?) pin on the TPS is variable up to about 5k I think, when measured to earth.
If have earth and 5v backwards then TPS sensor pin reads backwards (resistance decreases with throttle opening).
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

It takes more than 2 wires to make a TPS work.

You hook 5v and ground across the resistor and the wiper is your signal (3 wires).
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Measure the resistance across all combinations of the 4 pins with the throttle around 50%. The switch is the one that has no connectivity, while the wiper will be about the same resistance to either of the other pins, and about half of what the resistance is across the end pins.

Close the throttle; the GND pin is the one with the lowest resistance to the wiper pin.

If that gives you no useful results, then yeah - you may have a busted TPS.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

It was a bad TPS and a connector with a loose wire. New TPS, and a double check of the connector and it is working now.

Next is to figure out why I am not getting RPM signal from EDIS.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Spit4ag wrote: Next is to figure out why I am not getting RPM signal from EDIS.
Check if (1) the EDIS module sparks on cranking, and (2) if you can get an RPM signal on the MS2 on a Stim.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Spit4ag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spit4ag »

I got the RPM figured out. Despite the EDIS module, coil and sensor coming off of the same car, the wire colors at the sensor were reversed to what they should have been. I had connected the blue wire to the blue wire and brown to brown. I reversed them and I now get an RPM signal in tunerstudio and spark from the coil.

Now I am working on getting fuel while cranking. The injectors work in test mode, but I get no PW while cranking. It did start with starting fluid and started showing PW when above cranking RPM, but with no power to the pump it quickly died.

I have been doing some reading and I am going to change how the injectors get power and see if that makes a difference.