Multi coil driving

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Multi coil driving

Post by Six_Shooter »

I'm not at this stage yet (going with GM DIS for initial testing and set-up), but I am interested in setting up a COP system that is triggered directly from the MS, probably Ford coils which will require their own drivers, but that's not important right now.

My question has to do with setting up the outputs.

So since I have not found a way to directly address the outputs B through F, I am assuming that once you select multi coil settings in the ignition then the D14, 15, 16, JS4, JS5 and JS11 get set for spark output without anyway to change them via software?

So as an example, if I have a 6 cylinder engine and set wasted COP then D14, D15 and D16 are then automatically set for Spark outputs A, B and C?

This means that any function that were used by these outputs previously (Such as shift light on D15) will need to be moved to a different output from the MS2 daughter card?

I would assume that the set up would only use the exact number of outputs needed, so in my example above, 6 cylinder using wasted COP would still leave JS4, JS5 and JS11 will be available for other functions?

Am I correct on my assumptions here?

If that is the case my next mission is to figure out how to set up the cam input...
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Multi coil driving

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yes you are on the right track. Unused outputs are available for other purposes.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Agreed. You are correct with the spark channel selection; Spark A can be set to different pins for different reasons, but the rest are fixed and automatic. JS11 is always Spark D, but is available for use as a prog out if you're using 3 or fewer spark channels.

If you're driving 'dumb' COPs, each coil needs its own BIP driver. The spark channel can operate two drivers in parallel, each with its own R330 base resistor.

Not sure where you're going with the cam input on a 6 cyl and an MS2. The ECU has 6 spark channels, but only 4 fuel channels (and accessing the extra two means mods to the daughter card). You can only achieve semi-sequential injection, and MS2 doesn't have per-cyl knock detection and adjusting, so full COP doesn't help much. Keep the 3 spark pins (and JS10, the cam input) for prog outs.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

I brain farted for a minute there... Thinking about both wasted COP and sequential COP as options I was thinking I'd need cam input for either, but not needed for wasted, at least not with one or both of the two trigger wheels I have available, not sure how the internal trigger wheel will work for that (similar to LS1 from what I've read). The external trigger wheel is a GM 7x type.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The MS2 can be used with either the LS-1 / 24X trigger wheel or the GM 7X (6+1). I'm not sure whether either requires the use of the cam input (I don't see why); I'll have to back off and wait for someone wiser to chime in.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Hey six, I know prof315 was working on the gm dis before, have you gotten anywhere with it or are you still in progress for getting everything setup? Im wanting to use dis with full sequential fuel and compound turbo on the 3.4.

Already working on the mods for semi sequential fuel on the ms2 board.
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection