MSPNP Support Help Please!

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

MSPNP Support Help Please!

Post by benckj »

Starting a new thread as I don't seem to be getting much support from a new installation on 98 MR2 running a gen 3- 3sgte. From what I've found a successful installation has not been completed on this model and since I'm a Newbie living on the edge of the Earth I have very little local help. I do have access to a Tuner who has installed MS on a number of cars and a dyno should I need. I'd rather get experienced enough to tune myself on the road using TS and VEAL. Info and latest MSL & MSQ files in this thread.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94&t=43386

Running MSPNP- TS9395
Firmware MS2 Extra release 3.2.1 20111221us
Comm 4 with baud rate 115200
using PC running windows 7 and trying to use Android tablet for Shawdow dash

Currently engine is running well and I connect to TS without an issue although sometimes it drops off while driving (not when stationary revving engine). Using the FTDL USB-serial adapter purchased from MS but have access to an older (work) lap top with true serial port if required.

Have installed Innovate MTX-L wideband O2 for tunning purposes.

My main issues I'm having which I could use some help please;
1/ TS dropping off line when driving making it hard to capture log.
2/ O2 sensor is approx. 1.5%AFR larger on MS than Innovate gauge.
3/ O2 sensor very noisy (occilates approx. 0.5%).
4/ Selection correct O2 sensor in tools/AFR cal but don't know if correct figures retained (ie 0v=7.35AFR & 5v=22.39).
5/ Can't connect Shadow dash to Android tablet.

Thinking that the 12 pair cable installed for serial connect may have some induced noise I tried a separate shielded cable for the O2 sensor. This made no difference to offset or noise. the seperate cable only has 3 pairs which I would have used for RS232 connection if I could confirm what pins used (assume TX, RX, ground & return)?

Planning a rack day on 7th May so need to get the MS sorted sooner rather than later. Really need to ensure I don't run lean during high boost sessions (18psi). My Tuner seems to think it will be OK but I have not been able to run a log with good O2 data while on load.

Any help or comments appreciated. I have been running a thread in the MR2 forum as there are several others waiting in the wings to follow my lead. Just want to work out the problems and report my findings so I can save others the hassle. Matt Cramer has been helpful but sometimes does not entirely answer all the questions raised ( ie serial cable pins used, internal jumpers, O2 noise, etc).
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSPNP Support Help Please!

Post by DaveEFI »

On my MS 2, I've extended the serial port into the glove box so I can connect to my laptop easily, as MS isn't very accessible. The serial to USB adaptor is on the end of this cable and connects to a laptop USB port. The serial cable I made using twin screened cable (same as for a VR sensor) and is about 3 ft long. Only TX, RX and ground are connected. I have no connection problems. Once I've established a connection, it stays connected.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Thanks for that. I have another cable ready to install which may help with my connection issue as its 3 pair with individual screens. I can ground DB9 plug to MS case. It doesn't help the O2 sensor offset or noise issue as I tried this already.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Erratic wideband sensor readings may be down to incorrect grounding. How have you grounded it?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

#1 is usb interference a short cable or no cable is the fix.
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/usb ... nerstudio/

#2,3 is a ground loop or O2 heater is grounded to signal return.

#4 are you clicking write after selecting O2 system calibration?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Thanks for the replies;

>All sensors and ECU is grounded to same point next to MSPNP. Ran an extra 8mm2 cable from that point to engine block with no change to offset or noise.

>Serial cable run 6' from MS to glove box and a short serial cable directly to USB-serial converter. No USB cable used.

>Have not connected the O2 heater to same ground point, only sensor output from controller. According to manual this is correct but wonder if I should connect to the MS ground to eliminate any ground possible loop?

>Yes I click write to controller after selecting Innovate default LC1-LC2 sensor. It confirms it was written and engine skips a beat so fairly certain it does happen. Trouble is when you go back into sensor selection the page is blank including all cal values. Not sure what values are actually used as can't locate anywhere in TS program.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Check for a voltage drop between the O2 controller and the input to the ecu?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Will do.
Plan to monitor the voltage levels from O2 controller for noise then compare to what I'm reading at the MSPNP input. Will also compare to alternate ground connection points for any difference as this seems to be where most problems occur. Has to be something simple that I'm missing.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Well I think I've sorted the O2 noise issue although it doesn't quite make sense. Monitored the output voltage from gauge to MSPNP using a VOM multi-meter. Noise very evident when using the sensor ground connection to engine block. Removed some of the other interconnected ground wires (MS-Options 15, IAT and firewall) without any change. Installed a jumper from the gauge ground to a local under dash bolt and the noise significantly reduced. Connected a permanent wire from this point as second ground and apart form 1%AFR offset readings are acceptable.

To deal with offset I selected a Custom WB sensor and inputed 0v=6.3; and 5v=22.39AFR. This differed from the 7.35 on 0V factory settings. TS values now agreed with the Innovate gauge across the range.

Took car for a decent run to work on the tune which included using a datalog comparison to my current tune. Accepted 17 changes and then I took another run using VEAL and had several changes to accept at end of the run.

Spoke to my Tuner today and he had only adjusted the ignition and VE tables but had not changed any AFR values as this was not selected in dropdown to be active. Believe the tuning software will use this AFR table even if not selected which is why I had so many changes. Going back in today to set the AFR table up and then re-tune on the road. Will bring car into shop at end of week to check the actual O2 data with his sensor and possibly throw on dyno.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte