Toyota 4age Coil on Plug Installation

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Toyota 4age Coil on Plug Installation

Post by Matt Cramer »

30 degrees is not a good tooth #1 angle on a low resolution wheel - try adjusting the distributor to get a 50 to 60 degree angle.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Katsu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Katsu »

I had to move the distributor one tooth over to get more adjustment and I was able to get a 60 degree angle, however, the same symptoms are present. Even at this angle when I switch back to "Use Table" the engine runs very rough and dies. This is with the timing synced at 0 degrees BTDC. Is there anything else I can try? I appreciate the suggestions.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you attach a data log of the engine running at 0 degrees and of what happens when you use the table?
Katsu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Katsu »

Here are the two data logs. They were taken one after the other, turning the car off and switching modes in between the two. Note, the tooth #1 angle was set to 65 degrees to allow enough adjustment with the distributor for this test. Hope this helps.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You appear to be losing sync - can you post a composite log of what's happening in fixed timing and with "Use table" mode?
Katsu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Katsu »

I recorded the two composite log files as requested but I'm unable to post them. When trying upload the attachment I'm prompted with "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." Is there a way to get around this?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I've let the moderators know that it's time to clean up some of the older attachments.
Katsu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Katsu »

Here are the two composite log files. Note, while recording the "Fixed Timing" log the engine stumbles similar to when in the "Use Table" mode after running for 20-30 seconds. Thought I should mention it in case it didn't show up in the log.

Thanks for resolving the attachment issue!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's not getting a good read on the cam sensor. It might be better to go to a 36-1 crank trigger with Hall sensor; this will make the cam signal less of an issue.
Katsu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Katsu »

I'm looking into the T3 crank pulley and 36-1 trigger wheel but I'm concerned it might not clear the lower timing cover which I don't want to remove because it has the timing marks on it. I just wanted to check if there is anything else I can do to get the COP to work without going with a trigger wheel? (IE: Swapping the active edge on cam trigger, shielding dist. wiring, etc?) If not then I'll start purchasing the additional components.
Katsu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Katsu »

Before installing the trigger wheel I tried changing the "Second Trigger Active On" setting from Falling Edge to Rising Edge. This seems to have solved the problems I was having. I was able to set sync the timing at a comfortable 10 degrees BTDC using a tooth #1 angle of 65. When I changed to Use Table mode everything seemed to run fine.

I've attached another Composite log and datalog, does everything look ok?
Also, should I continue to use the tooth #1 angle of 65 or adjust that and compensate with the distributor, it is currently still moved one tooth over to allow for enough advance. Thanks.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The composite log is rendering a bit strangely for me, but if it's working, it's working. I think I have a rendering error there.

I'd make sure it is adjusted for a trigger angle in the 50 to 70 degree range.
Katsu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Katsu »

Not sure if the rendering error was due to something on my end. I've taken another composite log to be sure. Note: log was taken with the engine cold, if it makes a difference. I noticed the green cam signal line looks good in 3 of 13 and 6 of 13 but in the other areas of the log there's just that yellow dot in the line where the spike would be.
I was able to do a short test drive and the car seems to behave the same as before the COP conversion. I will need to do more driving to see if any problems come out. I have rechecked the timing and tightened the distributor so the tooth #1 angle is 65. Should I be concerned about the cam signal in the composite log at this point?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It appears the "missing" cam sensor in that composite log is a logging glitch and not a real case of the sensor going away (if it were losing it for real, you'd see lost sync indicators). I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you've got it solved.
martinhoj
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by martinhoj »

Hi there..

What colour do you use for your vr sensor +
i think you have to seperate the wires from the 2 sensors..

Btw i use a 36-1 crank wheel.diypnp
run 4 toyota 1.8 cops but as wasted spark..
no problem whit that setup..

Do you have a picture of your distribuiter wheel whit wireing?