Launch control wiring in 3.57 (very basics)

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mr Merkava
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Launch control wiring in 3.57 (very basics)

Post by Mr Merkava »

A bit confused about launch control wiring in 3.57.

Can I use some of the wires for Fidle-control, to switch launchcontrol on?
Do I have to make some changes on the PCB?
Which PIN I should use? Does it matter?
If i can use FIDLE, or some other similar wires that are not currently used, do I only have to setup the output port settings?

I will use clutche's pressureswitch for launchcontrol.

This may sound very simple question, but I couldn't found out by myself direct answer. Thanks.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Launch control wiring in 3.57 (very basics)

Post by Matt Cramer »

Mr Merkava wrote:A bit confused about launch control wiring in 3.57.

Can I use some of the wires for Fidle-control, to switch launchcontrol on?
Let's just say there would be nothing basic about trying that. You'd have to cut traces on the board. I would not recommend using pin 30 / FIDLE for this - go with a pin you're not using.
Do I have to make some changes on the PCB?
Yes, unless you ordered it set up for launch control.
Which PIN I should use? Does it matter?
Any pin that's not ground and not in use. The DB15 is handy for this.
If i can use FIDLE, or some other similar wires that are not currently used, do I only have to setup the output port settings?
Output port settings do not affect launch control. Launch control is set up in the launch control menu.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Mr Merkava
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mr Merkava »

Okay, I think I initially misunderstood how this should be made, but now I have clue :)

One more question:
If I want to get input directly to processor, which end I should solder this wire? In picture the green wire:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'd only add wires to the daughter card if you had no more available input pins left. JS10, JS4, JS5, JS11 all taken?
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

Bringing this back up since I'm about to wire mine.

I have looked over the Hardware Manual version 3.4 in section 3.4.9.2 (Switch Inputs) for reference.. It states "The simpler modification is for a ground switched input. (Recommended.)"

I have a brake light switch in my 1990 mustang that I can use, as well as a rocker switch in-line. The brake light switch passes power to the brake lights themselves, so not a grounding switch. If this is 12v, should I send this to MS2 V3.57 or does it need to be a grnd switch? If grnd is required, I can use the brake switch to trigger a relay and send the grnd to MS through the relay. Just wondering which will work.

Also, does DB15 connector already connect to these switched inputs to where I just have to pin a DB15 connector externally? or do I need to wire the switched inputs from the card to the connector inside the case?

I can't open my case to check it since I'm at work. I'd like to know what I need to do before I go home today so I can hit the store for any needed items on the way home.

Thanks!
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The manual covers how to make inputs for ground triggering or ones triggered by 12 volts. Neither are standard equipment - you'd have to solder them in.
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

Matt Cramer wrote:The manual covers how to make inputs for ground triggering or ones triggered by 12 volts. Neither are standard equipment - you'd have to solder them in.
So Active Low is for GRND and Active High is for +12v? If I build the Active High circuit per - http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... htm#launch - I can pass the 12v directly from switches to ecu, eliminating the relay, which is preferable. Where does this circuit get built? Proto Area? Is this available on 3.57?

If I'm understanding this correctly, I'll use JS7 jumpered to JP4, connected to that above circuit. The other side of that circuit (switched end, will jumper over to the DB37 where I can run the wire to my external switches.

Does active high require the TPS +5V if the ECU is getting that elsewhere?

Sorry for the newbishness, really trying to decipher it all.
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

Okay, using some old info I saw from Seijirou and some volkswagon thread (maybe), I came up with this diagram for my ECU.

Can you confirm this will work? It eliminates me having to solder onto the daughter board.

If I have to use JS7 for whatever reason, it'll require the jumper from Pin 10 to JP4, which is doable. Just another step.