No RPM Trigger Wheel Mode Stimulator

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

z-ya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No RPM Trigger Wheel Mode Stimulator

Post by z-ya »

Hi All,

I'm having an issue that I don't quite understand. I'm running MS2Extra 3,4,2 and using a stimulator. If I select basic trigger in the ignition setup, I get RPM in Tuner Studio. If I select trigger wheel, I cannot seem to get the tach gauge to move no matter what the input capture edge is set to. I am planning on running a 36-1 crank wheel with wasted cops. I am trying to verify the coil outputs on the bench with a scope, but without a tach signal, the coil outputs don't toggle.

Attached is my ignition settings.

Help appreciated.

Pete
Attachments
ms11-pete.jpg
ms11-pete.jpg (333.2 KiB) Viewed 353 times
2018-01-22_20.11.56.msq
(117.76 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No RPM Trigger Wheel Mode Stimulator

Post by kjones6039 »

Just curious.............

Are you using a basic Stim or a JimStim? JimStim is capable of emulating a number of different wheel patterns.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Yep, Ken is right.
My guess is you're using the standard stimulator.
It can't generate a toothed wheel signal - only a basic trigger signal.

You'll have to use a JimStim for toothed wheel - it can simulate different wheel configurations.

Edit: by the way, you can test the spark outputs individually using the output test mode without requiring a tach signal.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
z-ya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by z-ya »

Thanks Guys. That was it. Didn't know about the test mode. Cool feature. I confirmed all the coil outputs with the scope. I should be good to go.

Thanks
Pete
z-ya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by z-ya »

A couple more questions.

I've got it running with a stable idle. I need to calibrate the timing with a timing light. Where do you set the timing offset from TDC? Here: "Ignition Settings -> Ignition Outputs -> Tooth #1 Angle BTDC"? I'm running MS2Extra 3.4.2 with a 36-1 crank wheel with Wasted COPs. I change the value to calibrate the timing at 20deg BTDC, but then when I change the timing table to 30deg BTDC, the timing goes to 15deg BTDC when measure with a timing light.

I'm using an AEM UGEO which has an analog 0-4v output that maps to AFR. Do I have to run the ECU in narrow band mode? I remember on another project (MS1Extra) I was able to enter a voltage calibration table for the sensor. I can't seem to find it in TunerStudio.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

The "tools" drop down menu has the selections for calibrating sensors. The O2 is calibrated on the AFR selection.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.