Help me get this all sorted out. Time for MSII extra.

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

460stang
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Help me get this all sorted out. Time for MSII extra.

Post by 460stang »

Alright I am currently running 2.6 MSII beta code, on my 93 ranger Splash with a 2.3 turbo. I have custom fitted 36-1 wheel and am using EDIS right now. I am also using Ford PWM idle. I am ready for some MSII extra code.

I am currently using my spare outs for boost control (on/off), fan control, secondary fuel pump control (noisy, so I just turn it on when it is needed), and a shift light.

I want to add launch control so I am going wheel decoder and losing the EDIS module. (hopefully in time for the first race this year)

I also want knock sense in and would like to be setup for boost control when that gets done in code.

So non-basic outputs that I need to work all together, or at least have wired correctly so when the code is up I will be ready.

Boost control--------??????
Launch control ----- JS5
PWM idle-------------DB20
A and B spark out (VB921's) A=DB36 B=LED16
Fan control----------Spare port LED15
Secondary fuel pump control--Spare port LED14
Shift light------------IAC1A
Knock----------------JS4

The input/output chart is a little confusing to me so correct me if I am wrong on the above pinouts.

Am going to use the basic launch control circuit as per MSI extra.

I am going to run knock circuit in as the MSII is setup with the GM knock module.

Also looking for boost control circuit and pinout. And if there is a more logical use of the pins than above speak up.

Would also like to see if there is yet a little program for us non unix types for flashing code without pulling the MS box. (like we had with MS1extra)

I will be re doing part of the wiring harness to run the EDIS VR sensor into the MS box instead of the EDIS module right now. Any wiring tricks to get a really clean signal would be appreciated.

Also as I watch the evolution of the Code wheel support I see more and more user adjustments to filter out various un wanted signals. Any idea of a starting point for ignition settings with the 36-1 wheel would be great.

I may be asking for to much, but I am sure as these questions start to get answered there will be others outside the alpha testing circle following my lead as MSII extra will be best thing since sliced bread.

I am going to try to keep these thread updated all the way through until i get this all working. (with your help of course)
88 Stang 7.7L Twin Holset Turbos 95# injectors MS2extra
93 Ranger Splash 2.3L turbo 560 hp 33 psi MSII EXTRA 3.0.3,
81 5.0L TT mustang 440hp 10 psi MSextra,
93 Honda Civic B18 MSII Extra 2.0.
90 S10 350 twin turbo MSII
88 350 Procharged camaro MSII extra.
92 Toyota truck 5.0 swap, rear turbo. MSII
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I will answer as many of your questions as I can this evening after dark after I've had a chance to work on my own cars :D (have not really done this much in several weeks).

I'm also testing a new beta today.

Ken
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

Hi, i was looking around to figure out the bulk of what i need to change on my v3 to run cop with dual triggers and was hoping to put up my best effort like the man above before asking for any help. i havent quite got that far yet, but i did notice that the manual says this :

"Typical installs could be a non-missing wheel on the crank and a single tooth on the cam"

found here :

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/ms2ignition.html#dual

i have a 36-1 that i have mounted on my crank, and a mx5/fe3/dsm style cas with 4 slots on the outer ring (wont use those) and a single slot on the inner ring.

i was hoping to use the 36-1 wheel and the single slot to give COP control to my 4cyl engine. is this possible? it doesnt explicitly say that it wont work, just implies that non missing tooth is the way to go.

tonight when i get mt running with wine and linux, i'll upgrade to the beta or alpha (depending on which one has the finalised 2nd trigger wiring) i can look that up myself. and load the ini, and play with the settings.

then i'll post up what i think i should do, and hope for a correction/addition :-)

thanks.

fred.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

36-1 + 2nd trigger *should* work fine if you're using the single slot 2nd trigger.

Ken
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

Awesome (big grins) great to hear!! it will be very soon that i run some wires into my desk and find out what i get while cranking :-)

fred.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Help me get this all sorted out. Time for MSII extra.

Post by muythaibxr »

460stang wrote: So non-basic outputs that I need to work all together, or at least have wired correctly so when the code is up I will be ready.

Boost control--------??????
Launch control ----- JS5
PWM idle-------------DB20
A and B spark out (VB921's) A=DB36 B=LED16
Fan control----------Spare port LED15
Secondary fuel pump control--Spare port LED14
Shift light------------IAC1A
Knock----------------JS4

The input/output chart is a little confusing to me so correct me if I am wrong on the above pinouts.
That looks fine as far as I can tell
Also looking for boost control circuit and pinout. And if there is a more logical use of the pins than above speak up.
Right now, we don't support boost control, and I'm not sure what pins it'll use. I'll have to talk to James about that when he comes back.
Would also like to see if there is yet a little program for us non unix types for flashing code without pulling the MS box. (like we had with MS1extra)
Right now, there really isn't a non-commandline tool that you can use to reflash the firmware without using the jumper. We could potentially put together a batch file to do that though.
I will be re doing part of the wiring harness to run the EDIS VR sensor into the MS box instead of the EDIS module right now. Any wiring tricks to get a really clean signal would be appreciated.
Just shield the wire, and have as many ground pins from the MS to your engine ground as possible. Tinker with the hysteresis pot to get rid of some of the noise, and you can use the software noise filter feature in the firmware to handle the rest.
Also as I watch the evolution of the Code wheel support I see more and more user adjustments to filter out various un wanted signals. Any idea of a starting point for ignition settings with the 36-1 wheel would be great.
The noise filter setup is pretty simple. You use higher numbers at lower revs, and then decrease the number as the revs go up. The idea is that any pulse shorter than the pulse specified in the table will be thrown out as noise. For the rest of your settings, just enter your number of spark outputs, and the missing tooth position, and whether it's a crank wheel or cam wheel, and you should be ready to go.
I may be asking for to much, but I am sure as these questions start to get answered there will be others outside the alpha testing circle following my lead as MSII extra will be best thing since sliced bread.

I am going to try to keep these thread updated all the way through until i get this all working. (with your help of course)
Sorry it took me a while to answer, hopefully that's enough to start with. Part of my efforts once I get all the known bugs fixed will go towards documenting all the new configuration options, so setup will become much easier.

Ken
460stang
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 460stang »

Thanks.

I will keep looking for info about boost control pins and a possible bootloader program, as that comes along. My CPU is in a tight spot and I don't really want to be pulling it in and out more than I have to. Which means I would like to do the boost circuits at the same time as I have it out for the other stuff, so I will probably wait a little.
88 Stang 7.7L Twin Holset Turbos 95# injectors MS2extra
93 Ranger Splash 2.3L turbo 560 hp 33 psi MSII EXTRA 3.0.3,
81 5.0L TT mustang 440hp 10 psi MSextra,
93 Honda Civic B18 MSII Extra 2.0.
90 S10 350 twin turbo MSII
88 350 Procharged camaro MSII extra.
92 Toyota truck 5.0 swap, rear turbo. MSII