RPM based AE in ms2x/extra

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

leejameshunter
MS/Extra Newbie

RPM based AE in ms2x/extra

Post by leejameshunter »

Hi all.
Is there any way that rpm based accel enrich can be added as an option to the next release of ms2/extra code? I have had fantastic results with this mode of AE in ms1/extra, it's more understandable than the traditional accelaration wizard. I can realy hit a sweet spot with it & understand what the engine needs. I was using Ms2 chip & latest code in a V3 board on my latest engine but have gone back to ms1/extra as it uses rpm based AE & is so much better. I just can't hit that sweet spot with the ms2 chip/code & AE wizard.
This rpm base AE setup seems to favour my quite higly strung setup.
I havent yet tried ms2/extra code but EAE seems even more confusing! I just dont know where to start with it & any information about it is thin on the ground.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

2.1L Zetec,V3 pcb,edis input/output jumperable between MS1/MS2cpu,Alpha-n,46mm Busa ITB,294deg cams,12.5-1cr,accralite forged pistons,turbo sport rods,BVhead,est around 240bhp.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

EAE is a wall-wetting based algorithm.

The default settings should be rather close for you though, as they have been for most people. We will not be adding RPM-based AE to ms2/extra, as EAE works much better once you get it tuned.

Basically you have two main curves: the Added to walls amount, and the Sucked from walls amount... The "added to walls amount" is the percentage of each squirt that goes into the puddle on the walls port walls and such. The Sucked from walls amount is the percentage of fuel in the puddles that gets pulled out with each intake event.

Basically any time conditions change, the equilibrium between the amount going into the puddle and the amount coming out of the puddle will change as well (can be viewed as a gauge, or in the datalog as "wallfuel"). During small changes in conditions, this will result in a small amount of extra fuel being injected, and during large changes, it'll result in a large amount being injected.

You have to have your VE table dialed in before you can really use this AE method, but once you have that dialed in, it's pretty easy to tune.

For example, if removing your foot from the throttle results in a huge lean spike, that means that in the engine, there is less fuel getting pulled from the walls in low-load conditions than the table represents, so you can decrease the "sucked off the walls amount" for that part of the table.

So you just have to think about things in terms of 1) what would cause the condition you're seeing (more fuel than you have tuned getting stuck on walls or pulled off), and 2) how can you adjust one of the two main curves to make up for this.

Once you've tuned the 2 main curves, you can make adjustments to each parameter based on RPM.

Ken
leejameshunter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leejameshunter »

Hi thanks for the explanation i will give it a try on my new MS2 when it arrives (my old ms2 chip has a problem with the o2 input it just kills the pulsewidth even when given no authority) but hey thats another problem.
Just looking at my engine though it has very long inlet runners & the injector is 10 inches away from the back of the valves. Also the ID of the inlet manifold is 46mm or 1&3/4 inches & its not heated, so there is a lot of wall wetting going on. I can't quite get my head around how i will adjust for this, but i will try to work it out.
Cheers Lee.