USB-serial adapter compatability list

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Re: USB-serial adapter compatability list

Postby Pan Dodo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:53 am

Cheapest ebay usb-serial adapter. Uses CH304 drivers.
Works with tuner studio, but cant upload firmware - error 0xe1.
Attachments
usb.JPG
usb serial adapter
usb.JPG (27.36 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Pan Dodo
MS/Extra Newbie

Postby racingmini_mtl » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:55 am

Pan Dodo wrote:Cheapest ebay usb-serial adapter. Uses CH304 drivers.

The one I had worked fine with a V3.0 main board but did not work at all with a Microsquirt module.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Postby yhspeed » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 am

Pan Dodo wrote:Cheapest ebay usb-serial adapter. Uses CH304 drivers.

hey guys can someone help me?
in trying to connect to microsquirt ms2/extra using the same usb serial adapter ch340

but i cant connect to micro . has someone been able to connect using this adapter? thanks!!!

but i cant connect to micro . has someone able to connect using this adapter?
yhspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Postby jsmcortina » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:01 am

As per Facebook, the CH340 I tested does not conform to RS232 specifications.

James
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Postby yhspeed » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 am

jsmcortina wrote:As per Facebook, the CH340 I tested does not conform to RS232 specifications.

James

thanks men
yhspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Postby Wolfman11 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 am

I have bought 6 (six) USB/serial adapters / wires so far.

The two with FTDI chips worked with W7 and W10. Plug and Play, just adjust the speed in device manager to 115000.

Prolific is a pain in the nose, as there is a 95% chance you get a 1/2 or not working, cheap copy, independent of how much you pay. In Germany I was not able to get only one that works with Windos 10 and I bought 4 (four). Two worked with W7.

To make it even more complicated, Prolific sells 3 different versions, while one does not work on Win 7 or higher, the second works on W7, but not W10 and the newest one should run on W10. But this is only the "real Prolific" chips, that you probably will not be able to buy, because copies are everywhere.

The fraud, illegal Prolific copies, that are the majority on the market, are even worse, as there is one Prolific driver that activly kills them. So you might have one that works with W7, then you plug it in a W10 system, install the Prolific driver and "bang" it will never work again. Even as Prolific has replaced the destructive driver, you might still download it somewhere.

So basicaly, never buy a Prolific adapter, get a FTDI based one, it should work.
I would suggest, go to a computer shop, bring your charged Laptop with you. Buy one, (if the let not try it), plug it into the Win 10 system and try it. Best, for Prolific, download the new driver pack, it contains a test. So you can see what you get. So you can complain directly and dont have to return to the shop multiple times. Your Windows hardware is not the problem with Prolific stuff!

I have wasted so much time with this stupid theme, I hope I can save someone from falling for the same trap.
Best whishes to our Chinese friends, thanks for the cheap copies!
Wolfman11
MS/Extra Newbie

Postby Steffo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm from Sweden, new to this forum and what could be a better first comment than one about my connection problems?

I have a TVR Griffith 500 and when I rebuilt the engine I got rid of the Lucas ECU and installed MS2. The engine runs OK (mostly) but since day 1 I've had this annoying "not connected" issue. Sometimes the connection works fine for say 5-10 minutes but then it starts going offline, more frequently the longer I try to stay connected. It tends to be worse when engine is running. More than once it has gone offline the second I'm about to burn new values to the ECU. Very annoying.

This seems to be a common problem, correct? This thread implies that a quick fix could be to simply get hold of the right adapter. Don't know the spec of the two adapters I've been testing, but please tell me that all will be fine if I just come by a FTDI version ...

Thanks
Steffo
MS/Extra Newbie

Previous

Return to MS2/Extra, MS2, Microsquirt and Microsquirt module support