USB-serial adapter compatability list

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Pan Dodo
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: USB-serial adapter compatability list

Post by Pan Dodo »

Cheapest ebay usb-serial adapter. Uses CH304 drivers.
Works with tuner studio, but cant upload firmware - error 0xe1.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Pan Dodo wrote:Cheapest ebay usb-serial adapter. Uses CH304 drivers.
The one I had worked fine with a V3.0 main board but did not work at all with a Microsquirt module.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
yhspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yhspeed »

Pan Dodo wrote:Cheapest ebay usb-serial adapter. Uses CH304 drivers.

hey guys can someone help me?
in trying to connect to microsquirt ms2/extra using the same usb serial adapter ch340

but i cant connect to micro . has someone been able to connect using this adapter? thanks!!!

but i cant connect to micro . has someone able to connect using this adapter?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As per Facebook, the CH340 I tested does not conform to RS232 specifications.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
yhspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by yhspeed »

jsmcortina wrote:As per Facebook, the CH340 I tested does not conform to RS232 specifications.

James
thanks men
Wolfman11
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Wolfman11 »

I have bought 6 (six) USB/serial adapters / wires so far.

The two with FTDI chips worked with W7 and W10. Plug and Play, just adjust the speed in device manager to 115000.

Prolific is a pain in the nose, as there is a 95% chance you get a 1/2 or not working, cheap copy, independent of how much you pay. In Germany I was not able to get only one that works with Windos 10 and I bought 4 (four). Two worked with W7.

To make it even more complicated, Prolific sells 3 different versions, while one does not work on Win 7 or higher, the second works on W7, but not W10 and the newest one should run on W10. But this is only the "real Prolific" chips, that you probably will not be able to buy, because copies are everywhere.

The fraud, illegal Prolific copies, that are the majority on the market, are even worse, as there is one Prolific driver that activly kills them. So you might have one that works with W7, then you plug it in a W10 system, install the Prolific driver and "bang" it will never work again. Even as Prolific has replaced the destructive driver, you might still download it somewhere.

So basicaly, never buy a Prolific adapter, get a FTDI based one, it should work.
I would suggest, go to a computer shop, bring your charged Laptop with you. Buy one, (if the let not try it), plug it into the Win 10 system and try it. Best, for Prolific, download the new driver pack, it contains a test. So you can see what you get. So you can complain directly and dont have to return to the shop multiple times. Your Windows hardware is not the problem with Prolific stuff!

I have wasted so much time with this stupid theme, I hope I can save someone from falling for the same trap.
Best whishes to our Chinese friends, thanks for the cheap copies!
Steffo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Steffo »

Hi everyone,

I'm from Sweden, new to this forum and what could be a better first comment than one about my connection problems?

I have a TVR Griffith 500 and when I rebuilt the engine I got rid of the Lucas ECU and installed MS2. The engine runs OK (mostly) but since day 1 I've had this annoying "not connected" issue. Sometimes the connection works fine for say 5-10 minutes but then it starts going offline, more frequently the longer I try to stay connected. It tends to be worse when engine is running. More than once it has gone offline the second I'm about to burn new values to the ECU. Very annoying.

This seems to be a common problem, correct? This thread implies that a quick fix could be to simply get hold of the right adapter. Don't know the spec of the two adapters I've been testing, but please tell me that all will be fine if I just come by a FTDI version ...

Thanks
808hyperstang93
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 808hyperstang93 »

hey guys..

I have MSPNP2 for my 1993 Mustang. I am using the RS232 to USB adapter for my laptop, but I connect only 1 out of 10 times and that's even with the software disk in the computer and I run it everytime I try to connect my RS232 to my USB. I have only been able to connect like 3 times and I used those times to upload new tunes.

Is there another connector I could use to make the connection more consistant?

Thanks
JMcD
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JMcD »

MS2 w/ v3.0 board using the Insignia NS-PU99501 adapter (likely purchased from best buy) I ran into the following problem:

Serial Comm tests A and C pass. B is a mixed bag (more below).

Using a MegaStim v2.1, providing it with 14.6v (supply is rated for 1A at 12v).

First Serial Comm Test B after power up: returns all or part of the existing firmware - ex: "%%²É.33Embedded Code by B&G **"
Subsequent check of the firmware version: no response

Right when I request the firmware version, the previously bright LEDs (all 3 on megastim, 2 closest to the DB9 port on MS) turn dim and stay dim until power is removed, then re-applied.

My search of these types of symptoms (and the LED dimming) lead me to some threads where it was recommended by Matt Cramer to check voltage at several locations on the board. Here's what I found:

12v circuits:
Before and after serial comm tests - 14.6v on S12, Q9 center, Q12 center, D3 left (non-banded). 13.8v on U5 left, D9 left (banded)

5v circuits:
Before serial comm tests - 5.0v or 4.8v on proto1/2, S5, D9 right (non-banded), U5 right, D19 (banded), CPU pins 1, 20, and 31
After serial comm tests - 5.0v on D9 right (non-banded) and U5 right. 1.8v on proto1/2, S5, D19 (banded), CPU pins 1, 20, 31

Root cause (courtesy of James - jsmcortina):
Well, I'm going to offer a third possibility...

On the V3 mainboard, pin 9 of the serial plug is connected to 5V. This is by design to supply power to external bluetooth devices or similar. However, some USB-serial adapters have a problem with this. The symptoms you describe where you get an overload only after serial comms makes this sound possible.

A few solutions
- make a new serial cable with just TX, RX and GND.
- try a different USB-serial adapter
- cut off pin 9 of the serial plug.

James
This was the problem. I did ABA testing with a new serial cable with pin 9 disconnected to confirm. Was able to successfully connect, check firmware version, and flash updated firmware with pin 9 removed.

Original thread here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 61#p534861
-Josh McDonough
boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by boosteds12 »

Hello, i know this has been mentioned before but i never saw a definitive answer. i am wanting to know if replacing the db9 connector with one of the DB9-USB setups would work and if so which one, i am not to savvy on the whole rs232 and ftdi or uart setups. i currently use bt for connecting to my tuning laptop, that i bought from a ms supporter that sells the bt module for inside the case use on ebay and gives directions on how to install it, and want to continue to use that option and use the DB9-USB to connect to my raspberry pi dash, even if i need to power down or disconnect the usb to the pi when i need to tune i am ok with that. one of these is what im looking at but want to make sure i am getting the correct version. i hear the ftdi is the best,

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=DB9-USB

There are seemingly 6 versions there, but don't know which one to use in my ms2 v3 setup.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Thank you
j-d0gg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by j-d0gg »

I would like to add one to the list, verified worked in WinXP to Win10. Paid 5 bucks from it from the local surplus warehouse, tested on two different machines, Win10 Dell LAtitude E6520 and a super-old school IBM T30 Pentium 4-era machine.

http://www.usconverters.com/usb-rs232-adapter-xs8801

It even has data transmission LEDs in it to let you know it's working and it is fully FTDI spec. I have it running my Innovate LC2 but it does work on MS
93' Probe GT Fully built 12:1 KLZE w/supporting mods, full King6Fab engine suite, MS2PNP, wasted spark conversion, ACT Stage 2 w/Fidanza fw, AWR coilovers, Corksport 13" BBK, NOS nitrous oxide 100 wet shot kit w/bottle warmer

"When in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
drscottsmith
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by drscottsmith »

Any good updates to this list for 2023? In particular a Microsquirt connection to a MacBook Air?
GoinManta
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GoinManta »

I bought this one..

FTDI FT232RL USB RS232 Serial Adapter Cable to Mini 2.5mm Audio Jack for Windows FTDI Chip USB-RS232-AJ - https://amzn.to/3JsocYf

But when it hooked up to the Microsquirt V3 it saw the unit but couldnt decipher it.

After finding this page : https://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/s ... di-drivers I loaded the drivers. ( Why that info isnt on the Microquirt manual I will attribute to it hasnt been updated in a while ). I would like to know WHY they still sell with the 2.5 to DB9 connector. None of the tablets come with DB9, and most laptops haven't had a serial port in a decade. Save money and don't even ship with that cable its useless. They should ship with a FTDI USB cable from the start.

FWIW - I am running this on a Surface tablet ( V1 Pro ) that I got for $50 on ebay and have updated to Windows 10 to tune with.

Only issue so far ( other than the goofy Serial port ) has been the ancient GUI of Tunerstudio not liking to work well with the touch screen. Because I have one one USB port.. I have to get an adapter to expand the USB ports hopefully that doesn't affect the ability to use the FTDI cable.
Last edited by GoinManta on Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I like this adapter.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/usb ... nerstudio/

The USB cable can be a noise source, this adapter can be used with no cable to eliminate this issue.

The RS232 cable is much less sensitive to noise due to the 12v signal level, over the USB millivolt signal level.

I use an old Dell Latitude D630 (eBay 100$) for tuning as it has a native RS232 port.
Max out the memory and install a SSD. :yeah!:
I think I'm on my 3rd battery now in ~10 years, rock solid other than that.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
GoinManta
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GoinManta »

I may go with an early laptop if this doesn't work out.

Although I like the Surface, as it is small and compact.

Although all the stuff on Tunerstudios' website, etc.. says it should. Find out this evening.
cordes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cordes »

GoinManta wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:30 am I bought this one..

FTDI FT232RL USB RS232 Serial Adapter Cable to Mini 2.5mm Audio Jack for Windows FTDI Chip USB-RS232-AJ - https://amzn.to/3JsocYf

But when it hooked up to the Microsquirt V3 it saw the unit but couldnt decipher it.

After finding this page : https://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/s ... di-drivers I loaded the drivers. ( Why that info isnt on the Microquirt manual I will attribute to it hasnt been updated in a while ). I would like to know WHY they still sell with the 2.5 to DB9 connector. None of the tablets come with DB9, and most laptops haven't had a serial port in a decade. Save money and don't even ship with that cable its useless. They should ship with a FTDI USB cable from the start.

FWIW - I am running this on a Surface tablet ( V1 Pro ) that I got for $50 on ebay and have updated to Windows 10 to tune with.

Only issue so far ( other than the goofy Serial port ) has been the ancient GUI of Tunerstudio not liking to work well with the touch screen. Because I have one one USB port.. I have to get an adapter to expand the USB ports hopefully that doesn't affect the ability to use the FTDI cable.
I purchased that cable, and followed all of the instructions regarding the drivers. I believe I have the correct drivers installed, and TunerStudio can't connect to it. I'm guessing I have a bad cable. I'll probably stick with the DB9 to USB adapters if that's what's more reliable.

ETA: I tried the following cable and it works very well. The other cable is clearly bad. Here is a link to the one which worked: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759HSLP1?ps ... ct_details
GoinManta
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GoinManta »

I was the cable. It wasnt RS232 the copy cat FDTI Chip wasn't reliable. I got a certified FTDFI RS323 adapter and it works now.
triumphtr4
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by triumphtr4 »

Hello, I would like to share an experience I have had with you regarding the compatibility of USB to Serial 232 adapters. I tried to connect my MS2 with such a profilic USB to RS232 cable but was unsuccessful.
Tried through all settings and ports, but to no avail
I didn't want to have it because when I was assembling it and then testing the serial communication, I got an echo signal back via the hyperterminal using, among other things, this USB cable.
Well I can't guarantee it for every cable but I think the problem is on pin9 of the RS232 connector, as there is a +5v voltage there, for example. to supply a BT modem with power.
I simply interrupted this pin, and lo and behold, it worked. So if you don't plan to install a BT module in the future, you can cut the cable directly on the MS motherboard, otherwise just cut pin9 on the USB cable