USB-serial adapter compatability list

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

65looter
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: USB-serial adapter compatability list

Post by 65looter »

USB to Twin Serial Ports from Maplin (UK) works well. Using it for Logworks and Megatune at the same time. It gives you 2 serial port com.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224904
Ford 342 stroker | 4inj.TBI
MS2/Extra beta RC3 2.1.0 20090611
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

After getting tired of three different Prolific 2303 USB to serial adapters (and losing my trusty FTDI one), I purchased a PCMCIA to Twin Serial card made by Delock (delock.de). It works in at least 4 different laptops I've tried, even in one where the FTDI adapter just didn't work. Pricey at about $80 but you get two ports, and it really works.

Jim
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
pigga
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by pigga »

Hi.
Am using a China no name Adaptor with a prolific 2303 chipset.
The Disadvantage is that you have to install the driver manually (XP). But after that it works great.
Never got any issue with it. Iḿ using it on two PC both with XP and with linux, with MS1 and MS2 as well Works!
Thomas
landybehr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by landybehr »

Not sure whether it´s of importance. Maybe I´m just unlucky.

So far I haven´t had a problem with using different brand of USB-Serial adapters (other than using too high a port number; if I use one lower than 10 then all is well), BUT I have killed 3 adapters.
All died when I plugged in the 12V-charge-cable into the laptop. So I will rely onto the laptop´s accu, OR unplug the USB cable when changing the power supply.
Not a big deal, but unneccessary $$.
Range Rover Classic
jagdude
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jagdude »

Hi,
I use a usb-to-serial cable I bought at Fry's Electronics (US store). It's from a company called PPA int'l and the product number is 3312. The actual wrapper (bubble type) is labelled IdotConnect. It was less than $10.00 and so far has worked flawlessy on Windows Vista and Windows 7. (Note: For Windows 7 just reloaded the Vista driver). I've had no issues with failures even if I plug/unplug the laptop from the charger.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

landybehr wrote:Not sure whether it´s of importance. Maybe I´m just unlucky.

So far I haven´t had a problem with using different brand of USB-Serial adapters (other than using too high a port number; if I use one lower than 10 then all is well), BUT I have killed 3 adapters.
All died when I plugged in the 12V-charge-cable into the laptop. So I will rely onto the laptop´s accu, OR unplug the USB cable when changing the power supply.
Not a big deal, but unneccessary $$.
A lot of inverters tend to create a ground offset between the MS and the laptop. This causes a continuous flow of current through the USB's ground wire and can burn it out.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Safir
MS/Extra Newbie

Re:

Post by Safir »

chicksdigwagons wrote:I've been using a Radio Shack brand "USB SERIAL CABLE" with good luck and no problems on several machines and close to a dozen different megasquirts.

It was expensive, but availible.
This cable is now sold as "gigaware"

I use this adapter as well. The drivers can be found at teh following radio shack site:
http://support.radioshack.com/soft.htm

or from product support at:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... e=Gigaware
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/r ... 600949.exe

depending what part no you have. i've used both with the beige radio shack branded one and the black gigaware branded one.
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

I bought a FTDI adapter directly from FTDI's website after having lousy luck with the (VERY cheap) prolific devices that I'd gotten ahold of.

I've had no issues so far, in a year of use off and on, and had one of my IT server admin friends decide to buy two of the same adapter after having played with mine for a bit.

FTDI Chip web store ==> http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... egoryID=84

The seem to intend these as product proof devices (no labels or markings) for developers to base larger purchases on, but they work very well as they are.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
N1XRR
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by N1XRR »

Didn't see this one in any of the previous posts: http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Serial-C ... 500&sr=8-1

It uses the Prolific chip also, been using it for some time now and it works flawlessly.
a73camaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by a73camaro »

This one from Radio Shack has been working good for me on various 232 devices (including MS) and I am running XP. There is free "ship to store" and runs $19.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3584699
MSII v3.0, Extra 3.0.3s
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

I got one of those Prolific no brand ones for cheap.
I can make it kind of work in Windows XP (can't update to MSExtra fully, for example. It produces an error that cannot verify one block or something, but works perfectly is I use the Serial cable), but can't get it to work in Windows 7 64bit.
At the moment, this laptop has serial connection, but the next i'm having (company hardware) will not... So, looks like I'm fahooked. :RTFM:
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Micro Connectors Inc. dual USB<>serial #E07-162 works well.
Shows up as a "Moschip 7840/7820 USB Serial Driver converter" idVendor=9710, idProduct=7840

Not on sale, $19.98 at Frys, $49.95 at Microcenter, but they price matched. (Both are local here)
Available online in the $20-30 range from many sources.'

Y cable, each leg about 1 foot. Worked fine w/6' extension (all testing done w/extension and blinkylight diag box)

Shows up under Linux as 4 ports, ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB2 work.
Apparently has been supported from kernel 2.4 series, and is part of the std kernel since dirt was new.

Windows: Comes with drivers for win7>win98.

Tested w/TS and flashing FW, under Linux and WinXP Pro SP3 zero issues.
Played with a few of the many driver settings under XP---works best at default on MS2.
Last edited by piledriver on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

The previous cable I couldn't make it work, but I bought a new one, and IT WORKS!!!

It works on Win7 64bit, perfectly!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
And it's dirt cheap!!!

Cheers!
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
whitefinish
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by whitefinish »

I'm using a Sitecom CN 104 USB (NL) to serial cable.

Works just fine for 15euro
kubeq_sq
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kubeq_sq »

for USB adapters based on prolific 2303 chipset for windows vista and 7 You have to install drivers manually and have to chek if they are for win 7. do not let windows upgrade them, and do not let windows to connect to windows update site to install the drivers for the first time, cause there are simply broken and won't work. i have such thing with my expresscard com adapter, but it is same with these usb based... if such drivers were once installed on the system You have to format Your hard drive or restore Your system before You made the installation and pay attention with next installation.removing the drivers even hand made won't work, windows always will use these from windows update. i know it,. because i had to format my windows and make everything from the beginning, because my windows installed drivers from WU server.
BUTRE
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BUTRE »

Omron CS1W-CIF31 (original Omron not the chinese faulty copies that are beeing sold over the internet)

Works very well under win XP Pro 32bits.

150Eur or so... expensive I know.
kubeq_sq
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kubeq_sq »

now i use prolific (pl2303 based) usb adapter pluged into db9 socket... i gave 2 euro :) chinese sh*t, but works perfectly... no problem :)
cougar10ag
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cougar10ag »

+1 on the gigaware adapter. no problems on a windows 7 starter netbook.

before MS i used two adapters on a SplitSecond ECU piggyback, and an innovate LC-1. ran on a windows XP home laptop, and a Vista home laptop without issues.
fnrjb
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fnrjb »

Hey_Allen wrote:I bought a FTDI adapter directly from FTDI's website after having lousy luck with the (VERY cheap) prolific devices that I'd gotten ahold of.

I've had no issues so far, in a year of use off and on, and had one of my IT server admin friends decide to buy two of the same adapter after having played with mine for a bit.

FTDI Chip web store ==> http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... egoryID=84

The seem to intend these as product proof devices (no labels or markings) for developers to base larger purchases on, but they work very well as they are.
In my opinion this is one of the best cable you can buy, the driver creates a virtual COM port, so surely it will work with any software you may need. the ones based on FT232RL or FT232RQ chip can be configured by software (not needed here) so it will be usable on almost anything you need.
I buy one US232R-100 directly from the FTDI shop, it looks great and a good construction quality, very far from any chineese version and a good price.

This is my opinion, i have nothing to do with FTDI, just my opinion because it's a good product :-)
Gruelius
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gruelius »

Very happy with my FTDI232 unit, works in win7 x64
E30 323i 2.3lt - MS2 3.57 ms2e 3.1 w wasted spark & glens garage 3 wire ICV.