Toyota 1uzfe, stock ignition sensors, please critique

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Minor Threat
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Toyota 1uzfe, stock ignition sensors, please critique

Post by Minor Threat »

Just wanted to add this in here as this thread as been very helpful to me and is one of the first search results if you google "MS2 1UZ cam sensors" so I figure I will add to where people will see it.

I just got a 95 JDM 1UZ from a LS400/Celsior running on MS2 v3.0 last night using the exact settings provided in the first post. Base timing was basically bang on. I used the G2 cam sensor and ran both cam and crank sensor through the Zeal daughterboard. I used 4.7K ohm pull resistors going to D14 and D16 from the proto section of the board.

If you are having issues with RPMs dropping, be mindful of where you route your cam/crank sensor wiring. I had mine too close to a coil and it would drop RPM signal from the noise, however I am using the factory harness which has a subharness that connects (and therefore has no shielding) right where the coil is located. Once I moved it away from the coil (it was sitting on top of it almost for testing) it was fine.

Hopefully this helps someone else, I will likely post a success story once the car hits the dyno on friday.
stevieg
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stevieg »

Minor Threat wrote:Just wanted to add this in here as this thread as been very helpful to me and is one of the first search results if you google "MS2 1UZ cam sensors" so I figure I will add to where people will see it.

I just got a 95 JDM 1UZ from a LS400/Celsior running on MS2 v3.0 last night using the exact settings provided in the first post. Base timing was basically bang on. I used the G2 cam sensor and ran both cam and crank sensor through the Zeal daughterboard. I used 4.7K ohm pull resistors going to D14 and D16 from the proto section of the board.

If you are having issues with RPMs dropping, be mindful of where you route your cam/crank sensor wiring. I had mine too close to a coil and it would drop RPM signal from the noise, however I am using the factory harness which has a subharness that connects (and therefore has no shielding) right where the coil is located. Once I moved it away from the coil (it was sitting on top of it almost for testing) it was fine.

Hopefully this helps someone else, I will likely post a success story once the car hits the dyno on friday.

thanks man, yeah I ran this setup for almost two years problem free and now its moved on to someone elses project and theyre loving it, meanwhile ive upgraded to an ms3pro and loving every minute of it!
82v8supra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 82v8supra »

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but this is one of the only ones online I can find that deals with a 1UZ with factory ignition and an MS2 box. I am running an MS2 box with 3.57 with a zeal daughterboard for the Cam sensor. Running G2 for the cam. I have had a hell of a time trying to get anything going on this. The current problem is an inconsistent spark. I have checked that that the ignitor bodies are grounded well. The IGT wire I am showing 3 volts with key on relative to chassis ground. Should I be seeing more voltage than that? If so any ideas how to fix that?

current tune msq is attached.
Attachments
82v8supratune.msq
(117.88 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
smote
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smote »

82v8supra wrote:Sorry to bring up such an old thread but this is one of the only ones online I can find that deals with a 1UZ with factory ignition and an MS2 box. I am running an MS2 box with 3.57 with a zeal daughterboard for the Cam sensor. Running G2 for the cam. I have had a hell of a time trying to get anything going on this. The current problem is an inconsistent spark. I have checked that that the ignitor bodies are grounded well. The IGT wire I am showing 3 volts with key on relative to chassis ground. Should I be seeing more voltage than that? If so any ideas how to fix that?

current tune msq is attached.
Were you able to get it working? I'm not sure if the ignitors should see 5V or 12V, but I suspect 3V is low.
I'm still trying to get the Zeal card correctly wired to my 3.57 board. Could you share your setup?
This is the best info I could find for running a 1UZ on MS2. Hopefully we can keep the thread going and help others.
smote
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smote »

I've been able to get the engine running on the MS2 V3.57 board with the Zeal daughtercard.
Installed as specified in the first post on this thread with a couple modifications:
G2+ - pin5 (spare) which was then connected to the Zeal card
IGT2 - pin 4 which was connected to Pad2 (which is connected to the bottom of R29) for spark B
It starts and idles well when cold, but I still have some adjusting to do to the idle control to make warm starting easier. Then load tuning, of course.
smote
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smote »

Update:
It starts and runs fine, but it won't respond to ignition tuning.
I'm having a hard time getting the ignition from the driver side distributor to trigger a timing light. The right side distributor triggers a timing light just fine.
I've tried switching ignitors, replaced the coil, and checked the cap and rotor.
I get a solid sync in composite logger.
Would the tach output from the driver side ignitor somehow cause the ignitor to not work properly with the MS?
I should mention that I'm retaining the stock ECU to run the auto trans.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated as the car is due to race this weekend.
smote
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smote »

smote wrote:Update:
It starts and runs fine, but it won't respond to ignition tuning.
I'm having a hard time getting the ignition from the driver side distributor to trigger a timing light. The right side distributor triggers a timing light just fine.
I've tried switching ignitors, replaced the coil, and checked the cap and rotor.
I get a solid sync in composite logger.
Would the tach output from the driver side ignitor somehow cause the ignitor to not work properly with the MS?
I should mention that I'm retaining the stock ECU to run the auto trans.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated as the car is due to race this weekend.
Update to the update:
The ignition problem turned out to be a poor connection on the coil. Another reminder to check the hardware. Got the 25yo original crusty wiring replaced and she runs great!