Spare port shift light

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Spare port shift light

Post by Kurt A »

Ok, I am confused! I am trying to get my MS2 to turn on my shift light using one of the configurable ports. As per the instructions I removed D15 and ran the ground circiut to my shift light to the D15 pad closest to the DB9 connector. I ran 12V power to my shift light. I configured the D15 Accel port for my shift light settings and found that when the eng was started that the shift light was on and would not go out no matter what setting I used. The light went out on it's own after a while and I realized that the light went out because the warm up period was done. Rechecked wiring and MS mods and instructions. All mods done correctly from what I can see. I tried setting the D16 port for my shift light and I can get the light to flash once in a while but seems to be only occuring during an accel enrichment event. What I know for sure is that I need to configure the port for D-15. Please help!
Kurt
Rotax 912 turbo'd under construction MS2 Extra
2005 Mustang GT, turbo'd, aluminum heads, MS2 Extra
1928 Ford Coupe, 545BBF,671 blower, Squirted by MS2 extra 3.1.0, V3.0 Board
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Spare port shift light

Post by kjones6039 »

Actually I think D15 is the WUE port and D16 is the AE port. Could be wrong but don't think so. :)

From your description I would have to guess that you don't have the port enabled properly in MT or TS. (which ever you are using)

Just my 2 cents worth.

If you post your msq I would be glad to help.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Instructions I used are here
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm

Says that D15 is AE port.

"To use the existing transistor: The LED(s) can be removed and the LED holes on the PCB can be connected to a spare DB37 port. If you use the LED connections, note that you will bypass the current limiting resistor. Be SURE your device limits current itself (i.e., that it has a resistance of 50 or more Ohms). If it doesn't, you will have to add a resistor in series with the device. You connect the device (relay, etc.) to the LED hole closest the DB9 connector (which you can jumper to a spare pin on the DB37 to route it externally). To use the existing transistor with a 0.5 amp current limit:
Injection LED - PM3. Supply power to your external device, and ground your external device with a wire run to the PCB spot labeled D14 (you can jumper this through an unused DB37 pin if you have a V3 PCB, see below). Remove the D14 LED, and run the device ground wire to the square hole with the small silkscreen line beside it.
Accel LED - PM4. Supply power to your external device, and ground your external device with a wire run to the PCB spot labeled D15 (you can jumper this through an unused DB37 pin if you have a V3 PCB, see below). Remove the D15 LED, and run the device ground wire to the square hole with the small silkscreen line beside it.
Warm-Up LED - PM5. Supply power to your external device, and ground your external device with a wire run to the PCB spot labeled D16 (you can jumper this through an unused DB37 pin if you have a V3 PCB, see below). Remove the D16 LED, and run the device ground wire to the square hole with the small silkscreen line beside it. "

And here is MSQ
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Hi Kurt,

Directly from the v3 assembly manual:
# D15 (in the middle) is warm-up enrichment (WUE). It will light if your in a warmup situation (i.e. if the coolant pot on the stim is set to a value where the warm-up enrichment is greater than 100%).
# D16 (furthest from the DB9 connector) is accel enrichment (AE). It will light briefly if you turn the TPS pot on the stim from idle to full throttle.
Regardless of which port you use, the on/off values along with the Output Channels for the port must be set properly for your shift light to work. I have used all the spare ports for any number of different functions, including shift lights, without any issues.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Ok, more confusion in the manuals.
Yes I am using the middle LED (D15)
I found this pic and explanation looking at the MS2Extra manual.
I also found in my research that any changes other than threshold and hysterisis require a power cycle for the changes to take effect properly. I was not performing a power cycle after my changes today so I should be able to get it tomorrow. I will be giving PM5 a try first with a power cycle after burn, it seems to make sense as the shift light was on the entire time the WUE was on this morning.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Had the same issue from time to time also. Ya gotta power cycle in most cases!

Glad you nailed it! :)

Ken
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Problem solved! D-15 is WUE LED not AE as indicated in some portions of the MS manuals.
Kurt