MAP vs MAF

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Hardwyre
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MAP vs MAF

Post by Hardwyre »

My neighbor has a Ford MAF sensor he just wants to get rid of. Says it was virtually new off of a wrecked car (it looks pretty clean itself). I noticed that we have MAF functionality. I'm curious what the benefits of this might be. One forum said that with the MAF you don't actually need a VE table. Is this true? If it was, I'd expect more people would have gone this route.
My Datsun is powered by: Pick'N'Pull, Cadillac, BMW, Ford, HomeDepot, Volvo, etc, etc.
A MSExtra success story! http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=40364
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MAP vs MAF

Post by elaw »

Well, people will have a lot of differing opinions on that, but let me give you my perspective...

I switched my car from MAP-based to MAF-based operation a couple of months ago and have been very happy with the results. I think the best way to sum it up is that it makes tuning *much* easier. I had been dealing with a lot of the issues you see on the forums here like IAT heat soak and AE/EAE tuning difficulty, switching to MAF basically made those issues go away. I'm actually not running any AE at all (regular or enhanced) and the car drives wonderfully. I also was having a bear of a time getting the mixture right around idle, especially as the engine warmed up, and with the MAF sensor those issues disappeared.

Downsides are that it takes some messing around with .ini files to make it work, especially with VEAL. You probably can avoid some of that since the data for the Ford MAF sensor is already in the system, unlike that for the Bosch one I'm using. The MAF sensor does create a small restriction in the intake which could make a difference if you're trying to wring the very last horsepower out of the engine (also using a large sensor helps). And while theoretically you don't need a VE table, in practice you probably will. When I made the switch I started out with an "empty" table (all values set to 100), and it ran reasonably well... after half an hour with VEAL it ran *really* well.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

The other thing you really need to be carefull of using MAF is that you have absolutley no vacum leaks. A vacum leak ever so small can really disrupt MAF as it does not get counted in to the fueling equation.
Kurt
Rotax 912 turbo'd under construction MS2 Extra
2005 Mustang GT, turbo'd, aluminum heads, MS2 Extra
1928 Ford Coupe, 545BBF,671 blower, Squirted by MS2 extra 3.1.0, V3.0 Board
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Good point!

Also air/fumes coming in via the crankcase ventilation system (if fed in after the MAF sensor) can make things interesting, usually at idle. Canister purge too.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Hardwyre
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Hardwyre »

Interesting, excellent thank you! I think I'll grab the sensor from him since he's just going to throw it in a box of parts to give to the local Pick'n'Pull otherwise. I'm getting the Z dyno'd tomorrow so I'll see how it runs then, but it'll be good to have on hand incase I ever feel the itch. Actually I've got her running what I feel is fairly decent after a couple rounds of the VEAL (VE AnaLyzer right?). Before I did the first round she would stumble without AE, now, hardly.
My Datsun is powered by: Pick'N'Pull, Cadillac, BMW, Ford, HomeDepot, Volvo, etc, etc.
A MSExtra success story! http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=40364