Setting up MAF

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

techsalvager
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Setting up MAF

Post by techsalvager »

keep it at wideband but don't let it have any authority.

The load index is just that a load based of maf fueling calculations. Unfrountaly I don't have a N\A car to go off to see what happens right now, I may disconnecte the wastegate acutuator to keep it from making as much boost as possible to see what curve it may follow.
load wise it should follow the load\tq outuput of the engine. I will get a picture to show you later.

If you were running SD before using map points 0-100 in the load area, I would leave them for now but watch to see where it goes for now.

Yes even in SD mode it will datalog maf voltage and adc still with the custom.ini in place.
MS2extra
Mass Air Flow fuel and spark
Miata 1.6 turbo
TechSalvager is banned for ignoring admin warnings not to link to his childish videos.
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

Awesome. Thanks.
techsalvager
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by techsalvager »

durson any datalogs of running maf? I would like to see what the load does your N\A setup to test my theory.
MS2extra
Miata 1.6 turbo
TechSalvager is banned for ignoring admin warnings not to link to his childish videos.
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

Been getting home from work too late to run. May have to wait til Saturday, as much as it kills me not to. I'll log when I do and post em here.
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

Heres a couple of logs. The numbered log is the main one. Max volts at 4.4. ADC 904. The second log I added to show a zero flow voltage reading. around .2v. I'll have some more time with it today so I'll see what I can do with it. Let me know what you think.
techsalvager
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by techsalvager »

Looks like a good maf choice for current power level
Looks pretty stable at idle as well.
Do you have a picture of your maf setup?
I would go ahead and say use that if you plan to do run the car how it is with the power output you have now.
MS2extra
Miata 1.6 turbo
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

I'll take a post a pic in a few here. I think I must be missing something. I added my 2 known flow #'s to the mafanalyzer, being o flow at .02v, and idle at 3 gps at 1.1v. I replaced the file in my .inc folder with the new file but its like TS isn't burning the new file. I've tried 3 different files, even renamed it. Iam still about 3 times too much GPS at idle. Shows 9 gps just before it dies. Which would explain why it will idle with a correction factor of 33% at 3 GPS.
In my preojectcfg folder in the main controller I added my maf named ford1 now. In TS I click tools, calibrate maf, choose ford1, it burns, I power cycle my controller and no change. Am I doing this wrong?

I think I found the problem. Will try it now. In my maincontroller.ini I put this:

solution = "ford1", { table(adcValue, "maffactor.inc") }
I think it should be this:
solution = "ford1", { table(adcValue, "ford1.inc") }
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

That was it. It works. I am tuning. Thanks man.

Here is a pic of my setup

techsalvager
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by techsalvager »

Please check over my thread in ms2extra development on the correction table and the issue with it so you understand not to use grams a second to tune the correction table.
MS2extra
Miata 1.6 turbo
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

I notice when I shift gears some hesitation. Is AE used or needed in maf mode? I am thinking it may be overly rich when shifting.
I've read that post before and thought the same thing when attempting to use maf. I am correcting the # that is referenced for the correction. It was always very hard to understand. I have been starting with all values at 100% each time.
One of my inc files was almost right on everywhere but idle, too lean at idle. I am having trouble regenerating it with just more flow at idle. Changing those #'s down low affects the rest of the curve. I guess I could open the file in excel and change them by hand.
Also what are you using for an injector voltage correction number?

Attached log. Had to trim it down to fit, so there's just a couple of short runs in it.
Last edited by durson1 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
techsalvager
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by techsalvager »

If you are getting hesitation its more then likely from improper tune of the maf curve. Post a datalog of when it happens.
Please post in that thread so others understand the issue so it can be corrected.
.75ms @ 13.2v with rx7 460cc fuel injectors

in terms of shifting feel wise my car is fine no hesitation.
AE is still needed for quick transitions, but EAE doesn't seem to be as needed compared to speed density.
MS2extra
Miata 1.6 turbo
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

I decreased accel time. Seems to have helped. Heres another log. Maybe I'm picking the wrong data points to correct in my logs. My changes seem to make things worse, not better.I'll re read your guide again.
techsalvager
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by techsalvager »

how are you doing?
it maybe hard to get it right alone with just that maf analyzer program.
MS2extra
Miata 1.6 turbo
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

I almost pulled my maf sensor and threw it out my garage today. I have learned that maf analyzer program isn't the answer, its just a tool. I have been able to get closer by manipulating my first bin in the program. Its close. What I really need is an Excel program that generates a curve based on adc count and maf flow. I know what the flow should be at 5-7 different adc counts, probably more, but getting the program to spit that curve out isn't easy.
A while ago someone wrote an excel program that was an offset generator. You load an .inc file, and enter the % you want it offset. A non functional part of that program was a curve generator based on adc count.
I may just have to get it as close as I can, then move my target afr's to match so when ego correction is on it won't have to be over correcting.
Here's the latest .inc file that looks ok on my screen. I'll see how it is in the real world tomorrow.
techsalvager
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by techsalvager »

The problem could be the bends infront of the maf.
MS2extra
Miata 1.6 turbo
durson1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by durson1 »

I thought that may be the case. It will fit at the end with the filter on it. I thought having the filter right before it may be more disruptive. I guess that's where it goes on factory maf cars, and people remove their airbox in favor of a cone filter all the time. I'll see if there's a different way I can route it. Where is yours located, mid intake, or at the filter end?
How did you finalize your curve if not with the program? I'd rather not key in 1023 points.