Megasquirt 2, Fan Control, Boost Control, EDIS-6 Coil

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Megasquirt 2, Fan Control, Boost Control, EDIS-6 Coil

Post by jacob80 »

Actually, there is a BIP373 in the Q16 position, so that one is taken care of.

So I will ground the second BIP373 (Spark B) at the right leg of R37 and the third BIP373 (Spark C) at the right leg of R38.

Instead of grounding the boost control MOSFET at the top leg of R43, I'll ground it at the bottom instead.

If these alterations sounds accurate to you, I will go ahead and start wiring everything into place.

Thanks again!
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

jacob80 wrote:Actually, there is a BIP373 in the Q16 position, so that one is taken care of.

So I will ground the second BIP373 (Spark B) at the right leg of R37 and the third BIP373 (Spark C) at the right leg of R38.

Instead of grounding the boost control MOSFET at the top leg of R43, I'll ground it at the bottom instead.

If these alterations sounds accurate to you, I will go ahead and start wiring everything into place.

Thanks again!
This all sounds good.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Great! One last item.

I will be utilizing an EDIS-6 coil pack, so I need to clear up something on the wiring and firing order.

As you can see in the diagram below, based on information scattered throughout the internet, I've determined which pins on the coil pack go where. There are three pins for coil pack grounding (these will go to the BIP373s) and one for a switched 12v source.

My question is, referencing the photo, which coil goes to which BIP? Is it simply the first firing cylinder coil goes to Spark A, the second to Spark B, and the third to Spark C? If that is the case, would it be:

Spark A -> Coil A
Spark B -> Coil C
Spark C -> Coil B

rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Given a firing order of 153624

Coil A = cyl 1 - 6 First in firing order
Coil B = cyl 5 - 2 Second in firing order
Coil C = cyl 3 - 4 Third in firing order

Paired cylinder is on exhaust stroke.

Ignore those numbers and arrows in that pic

If you have misfire problems close the plug gap down to .035 since wasted spark fires both plugs at the same time the gaps are combined .035 + .035 = .070" gap.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Looking at the coil image I posted, I'll want to have my Coil A hooked up to plug wires 1 and 6, Coil B hooked up to plug wires 5 and 2, and Coil C hooked to wires 3 and 4 assuming the coils will fire in the order A then B then C?

Once again, do the Spark A, Spark B, and Spark B outputs fire the coils in that order (A > B > C)? Therefore, would I want to hook Coil A to Spark A, Coil B to Spark B, and Coil C to Spark C?

Thanks!
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Upon doing some reading, I've discovered that the relay board traces may not be able to handle the current of my fan. So, considering this, can I simply use the fast idle circuit that is already built to switch on/off my fan relay without performing any kind of modification to the PCB/making any kind of jumper wires? I'm also assuming that to tell megasquirt this won't be used for a fast idle valve but rather a fan, there is simply a setting is Tuner Studio that I can change and then set my on/off values as well?

Thanks!
Beau M
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Beau M »

I'm having the same question as this last post, how to use the FIDLE output to trigger my fan.

According to this: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm

You do this:

Another example is electric electric cooling fan control. We will turn it on 180°F and off at 170°F, using the relay board FIdle output to control a separate cooling fan relay (the traces on the relay board may not have enough current capacity to control your fan directly):

FIdle (PM2)
Port PM2, FIdle enabled
variable = coolant > threshold = 180, hysteresis = 10,
AND
variable = rpm > threshold = 450, hysteresis = 10, (fan will not run while cranking - you can add any second condition that works for you, of course)
Power-on value = 0
Trigger value = 1
Of course you can change the conditions to suit your vehicle.

Note that changing the FIdle port settings (PM2) does not affect the operation of the stepper IAC settings and ports. You can still use the IAC stepper functions for controlling idle speed during warm-up (just select one of the stepper options for idle control).

Note that the settings will depend on whether you have an NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open) relay, so you must check that the fan works as you think it should.

I have mine set up just as it says, but the fan does not kick on. I am using a second relay for the fan, that relay is wired so that +12 will trip it. Does the FIDLE port provide +12 when on, or pull to ground like it does the injectors?

-Beau
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

jacob80 wrote:So, considering this, can I simply use the fast idle circuit that is already built to switch on/off my fan relay without performing any kind of modification to the PCB/making any kind of jumper wires? I'm also assuming that to tell megasquirt this won't be used for a fast idle valve but rather a fan, there is simply a setting is Tuner Studio that I can change and then set my on/off values as well?
You can certainly use the FIDLE output if you're not using it for idle control. Just make sure the idle control scheme is set of "off" or set to one of the stepper motor IAC schemes. Then navigate to "Extended" > "Output Port Settings" to enable the FIDLE output as a generic programmable output.
Beau M wrote:I have mine set up just as it says, but the fan does not kick on. I am using a second relay for the fan, that relay is wired so that +12 will trip it. Does the FIDLE port provide +12 when on, or pull to ground like it does the injectors?
Most all "outputs" in your MegaSquirt ECU switch the path to ground, including the FIDLE output. Connect the other side of the relay to +12V, instead of ground, and it should work.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
Benski105
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Benski105 »

Hi, I have also been trying to configure my MS 2 V3 to use the F idle control to run a cooling fan.
I have it set up to trigger the negative on a relay coil supplied with 12v supply. When I test the circuit the relay doesn't trip and when I test the circuit with a test light the light doesn't go. However, when I hook a continuity tester to the F idle output and test it, I get a closed circuit and it goes to ground on the engine and the chassis.
I have also tested the relay supply and do have a 12v source that when earthed switches on the fan.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Ben