Megasquirt 2, Fan Control, Boost Control, EDIS-6 Coil

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Megasquirt 2, Fan Control, Boost Control, EDIS-6 Coil

Post by jacob80 »

Hello,

I am a long time megasquirt user and have recently upgraded from Megasquirt 1 and dropped in a Megasquirt 2 daughter board. I figured it would be wise to update the ECU while I reconfigured my entire engine. I have a few questions that I would like to start off with as I begin my journey through the wiring process. Also, will I need to run a power lead from one of the processor pins to power the stepper motor? I won't be running any kind of IAC or fast idle valve, FYI.

1. I have installed the daughter board and upon going through the manuals and such, it is apparant that multiple sources claim that only Tuner Studio is supported. Being a Megaquirt 1 user, I had always used Megatune. Will someone confirm this? If this is true, as far as all the documentation being based off a lot of Megatune menus, is Tuner Studio compatible with all functions of Megatune?

2. I will be controlling a fan, a triple coil pack (6 cylinder engine, one coil for every two cylinders), hopefully tach output, and boost control using DIYAutoTune's boost controller solenoid. My only worry is that I won't have enough output using the relay board and DIYAutoTune wiring harness for all of these peripherals. Can someone confirm this? I am still researching this subject, but a quick answer would be complementary.

That is what I will start off with today. Hopefully, as this thread progresses, I will be able to learn about all forementioned topics and have the wiring done in the next week or two.

I appreciate the assistance.

Thank you.
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Megasquirt 2, Fan Control, Boost Control, EDIS-6 Coil

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

jacob80 wrote:1. I have installed the daughter board and upon going through the manuals and such, it is apparant that multiple sources claim that only Tuner Studio is supported. Being a Megaquirt 1 user, I had always used Megatune. Will someone confirm this?

MegaTune does not support any of the MS2/Extra 3.x.x firmware versions, nor does it support the MS3 firmware.
jacob80 wrote:If this is true, as far as all the documentation being based off a lot of Megatune menus, is Tuner Studio compatible with all functions of Megatune?
Most of the pertinent menus and windows are the same. Of course, there are differences between firmware versions. In general, TunerStudio is much more user friendly than MegaTune, though.
jacob80 wrote:2. I will be controlling a fan, a triple coil pack (6 cylinder engine, one coil for every two cylinders), hopefully tach output, and boost control using DIYAutoTune's boost controller solenoid. My only worry is that I won't have enough output using the relay board and DIYAutoTune wiring harness for all of these peripherals. Can someone confirm this? I am still researching this subject, but a quick answer would be complementary.
You didn't mention which board you're using, but if it's the v3.0 board, you will have enough pins.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

My mistake. Yes, it is indeed a V3.0 board, so that is good news.

As far as Tuner Studio is concerned, it sounds like it is a more mature software. Is this the software everyone is using nowadays?
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

jacob80 wrote:As far as Tuner Studio is concerned, it sounds like it is a more mature software. Is this the software everyone is using nowadays?
Most users are using TunerStudio now.
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Working on my wiring diagram and I have a question regarding outputs.

What outputs would you recommend I use to drive a fan, Ford EDIS-6 coil pack and boost control solenoid? This is what I have so far, but there may be better options.

Coil 1: Spark A = IGN = DB37 Pin 36 = Relay Board Pin 11
Coil 2: Spark B = IAC2B = DB37 Pin 31 = Relay Board Pin 10
Coil 3: Spark C = IAC2A = DB37 Pin 29 = Relay Board Pin 9
Fan: ?
Boost Control Solenoid: Fast Idle = DB37 Pin 30 = Relay Board Pin 6

Thanks!
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

jacob80 wrote:Coil 1: Spark A = IGN = DB37 Pin 36 = Relay Board Pin 11
Coil 2: Spark B = IAC2B = DB37 Pin 31 = Relay Board Pin 10
Coil 3: Spark C = IAC2A = DB37 Pin 29 = Relay Board Pin 9
Fan: ?
Boost Control Solenoid: Fast Idle = DB37 Pin 30 = Relay Board Pin 6
We would recommend using IAC1A and IAC1B for the fan relay and boost control solenoid. If your boost control solenoid doesn't draw much current (under 800mA), you can use the FIDLE driver and bypass the relay board. Otherwise, it's best that you build this circuit and use one of the IAC1 pins:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... .htm#boost

The FIDLE signal goes through a relay on the relay board, so it's not suited for PWM.
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Ok, I took your advice and put together this spreadsheet for confirmation that all looks well.

Using the IACxx outputs, I should be able to drive these accessories directly, correct?

Obviously the fan will draw a good amount of current. Will the IAC1A be able to handle this by itself without the use of a relay? I may be missing some detail here.

Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... lpLb19iNlE
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

jacob80 wrote:Ok, I took your advice and put together this spreadsheet for confirmation that all looks well.

Using the IACxx outputs, I should be able to drive these accessories directly, correct?

Obviously the fan will draw a good amount of current. Will the IAC1A be able to handle this by itself without the use of a relay? I may be missing some detail here.

Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... lpLb19iNlE
Everything looks good, but you're correct that you can't drive the fan directly. You can, however, use the FIDLE output since the relay board has a suitable relay.
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Ok, so I've went ahead and made changes to my spreadsheet and will use the Fast Idle output since it already has a relay incorporated on the relay board.

If you could just confirm all my numbers look good, I'll proceed with wiring diagrams and schematics.

Thanks!

Spreadsheet (revised):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... iNlE#gid=0
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

jacob80 wrote:Ok, so I've went ahead and made changes to my spreadsheet and will use the Fast Idle output since it already has a relay incorporated on the relay board.

If you could just confirm all my numbers look good, I'll proceed with wiring diagrams and schematics.

Thanks!

Spreadsheet (revised):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... iNlE#gid=0
Everything looks good, but the CPU pin number column is a little confusing. The spark outputs should come from the signals for the three LED's, which are connected to U1 pin numbers 7, 8, and 9. The signal for the boost control circuit can come from JS0, JS2, or JS11, U1 pin numbers 18, 36, or 38.
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

I'll be honest, I am very unfamiliar with the Megasquirt CPU pinout. Does U1 represent a bus of pins? I can see the ports (A, B, C, etc) coming out of the CPU, but how do those translate to "U1"?

Thanks!
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

jacob80 wrote:I'll be honest, I am very unfamiliar with the Megasquirt CPU pinout. Does U1 represent a bus of pins? I can see the ports (A, B, C, etc) coming out of the CPU, but how do those translate to "U1"?

Thanks!
U1 originally referred to the MS1 chip, but now it signifies the socket used to hold either the MS1 chip, or MS2 or MS3 daughterboards. It's not really a bus, but you can think of it that way if you like.

These links may help you understand the signals from the processor:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... htm#layout
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... ms2options
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Ok, here is what I have come up with so far:

As you can see, I still need grounds for my boost solenoid, fan, and dizzy. Where is the best place to ground these items, and should they be grounded separately, or can they go to the same location?

Also, the last time I wired my megasquirt, my coil positive lead branched off from the fuel pump positive lead. Will this be something I probably need to do this time, as well? I believe it is some form of safety approach?

Thanks!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Do not ground the the boost control at "proto ground". Connect it to your power ground. You've specified that as right of R37. I favour a connection R43 as it is immediately adjacent to the ground connections in the DB37 connector.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Can I ground my distributor, fan, and boost control solenoid locally (chassis, engine, etc) instead of running a lead all the way back through the harness and to the terminating block where I will be grounding my megasquirt and such?

Here is my latest rendition of the diagrams.

Once again, if someone could please check these out and give me the thumbs up, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

If someone could confirm this, I would really appreciate the assistance. I've begun wiring procedures and want to make sure everything looks good.

Thanks again guys!
hamish_18
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hamish_18 »

jsmcortina wrote:Do not ground the the boost control at "proto ground". Connect it to your power ground. You've specified that as right of R37. I favour a connection R43 as it is immediately adjacent to the ground connections in the DB37 connector.

James

Sorry to hijack a little, but what do you mean don't ground the boost control circuit to proto ground? I thought that MS will control the ground side of the EBC? and that the other side you hook up to a switched 12 volt source?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

hamish_18 wrote:
jsmcortina wrote:Do not ground the the boost control at "proto ground". Connect it to your power ground. You've specified that as right of R37. I favour a connection R43 as it is immediately adjacent to the ground connections in the DB37 connector.

James

Sorry to hijack a little, but what do you mean don't ground the boost control circuit to proto ground? I thought that MS will control the ground side of the EBC? and that the other side you hook up to a switched 12 volt source?
Read the rest of that paragraph.
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jacob80
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacob80 »

Understood. You're simply referencing WHERE to ground the transistor, favoring one location over the other.

Once again, if someone could confirm all my diagrams and give me the green light, it would really help me out.

I still need to confirm my ground on the dizzy, fan, and boost control solenoid. I need to know if grounding them locally to a nut or frame nearby is OK.

Thanks!
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

jacob80 wrote:Once again, if someone could confirm all my diagrams and give me the green light, it would really help me out.
Everything looks good, but if we had built the ECU, we would have installed one BIP373 in the Q16 location, so it would have been grounded there. The other two BIP373's would have been grounded at the right legs of R37 and R38, and the boost control MOSFET would have been grounded at the bottom leg of R43.
jacob80 wrote:I still need to confirm my ground on the dizzy, fan, and boost control solenoid. I need to know if grounding them locally to a nut or frame nearby is OK.
It's okay to ground the boost control solenoid and fan on the chassis, but you should probably ground your distributor pickup at pins 14, 17, or 19 on the relay board.