MS2 new documentation discussion

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

yzn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 new documentation discussion

Post by yzn »

Why there is no mentioning of setting up 3 wire idle valve in the hardware manual?
Also in setting manual page 55 point 4 a ms3-pro is mentioned instead of ms2?
I think it's a good idea to add a table of pin usage similar to the old manual
*Also the manual idea is great keep it up guys
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
juansh2385
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by juansh2385 »

Hi james,

I think it would be a good addition to clarify even more the outputs that fuel trims tables are affecting.

Right now the manual says fuel trim table 2 adjust injector #2. I think it would be good if it said fuel trim table 2 adjust injector #2(assuming wired to injection output B) or something similar to be extra clear in what cylinder is the trim table affecting firing order of the engine.

Edited*** fixing mistake pointed by Jean.
Juan
Last edited by juansh2385 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

MS2 has no concept of firing order so the trim tables go with the injector channels, not the cylinders. Do not confuse what the MS3 does with what the MS2/Extra code does.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
juansh2385
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by juansh2385 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:MS2 has no concept of firing order so the trim tables go with the injector channels, not the cylinders. Do not confuse what the MS3 does with what the MS2/Extra code does.

Jean
In that case is even more important to clarify it in the manual don't you think? I personally jump a lot from ms2,microsquirt,ms3 and ms2 extra firmware lately have been change to be mimic ms3 firmware. I think it would be a good idea to make emphasis in the details that are different now that the documentation is been revised.

Juan
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I uploaded a refreshed Megasquirt2_TunerStudio reference manual.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Something to note concerning Bosch single coil ignition modules...... There are 2 flavors, the 0 227 100 124 that is already documented and a 0 227 100 137 that came on 85-92 CIS and CIS-E cars (at least in the U.S.) The 137 module uses Pin 6 NOT Pin 5 for the spark input signal. Otherwise it's the same.
Last edited by prof315 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

ANy chance of including in the docs a shift light option for one of the programmable outputs?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hi James,

In Megasquirt-2_setting_up-3.3 section 3.4.6.2 there is a reference to req_fuel % for AE instead of ms adder.

Thanx.
Manu
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

James, those docs are unreal. The other night I started reading through some of them again and I'm really impressed - well done and a BIG thanks for doing such a great job with explaining things in a clear and logical manner. The layout is great, the pictures are awesome and the diagrams are really high quality. I work with a lot of documentation on complex subjects and I know good docs when I see them :yeah!:

I saw that you started implementing a change log in one of the docs (the Microsquirt Hardware manual) - this is great as I printed them all, hole punched them and bought a large binder to put them in. Not a small task in some respects. One more suggestion?

What I was getting at, and probably wasn't clear on, when I requested a change log earlier, was a reference to the actual page that was changed. The idea being this;

A user comes in, prints the docs, and since the time of printing they get revised. To determine what has changed, and what pages should be replaced, the user just checks the title page with the revision/date and then checks that against the change log. If the change log showed what page numbers were revised then the user could just print off only the changed pages and replace only the ones that were superseded.

I don't know if that adds a lot more work on your end but it would make keeping printed docs up to date much easier. I really love the idea of proper centralized documentation - it's sorely needed. As a new user it's really tough to find information that's accurate for these products. A giant thumbs up for undertaking such a massive endeavor and for doing it well.
Thanks you;
Ernie
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

Spotted this small typo in the new manuals, from this link -

http://msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.3.pdf

They are shaping up very nicely!
Fullscreen capture 9172014 121109 PM.jpg
1967 Beetle My test mule
The Dub Shop
Facebook
Megasquirt for life!
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Revised MS2/Extra pins spreadsheet; Nitrous 1/2 pins wrong in several spots.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JoseMiguel »

Documentation is coming up nicely

A few thoughts on MS2 documentation:

I was working on a 3.57 board which I dont work too often. I was adding a few spark outputs to the board and I was not sure about where should I take the signal from. When I got to the 3.57 hardware manual, the spark output diagram is the 3.0 diagram, not the 3.57. I had to refer back to the old documentation to find this diagram:

Another thing I find a bit confusing is the following: In the programmable outputs page, the circuit is very clear, but the output table is not. There are a few pins that cant be used as programmable outputs, or not at least with software or hardware modifications. I dont really have a problem with this as im experienced in what to use for each thing but somebody not as experienced would be easily confused. It would be GREAT if below each circuit, you would include a description on what processor pins you can use for the circuit. The current description is a bit general.

Thanks for the great work. Keep it up.
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

I'm using the Megasquirt 2 Setting Up guide and in section 2.18 it relates a procedure to verify the tooth #1 angle so that the timing is exact (fix the ECU at 0 degrees and then crank the engine with a timing light to ensure TDC is really TDC - If it's not, adjust tooth #1 angle until it is)

I did that, found out I was off by 3 degrees and adjusted the Tooth #1 Angle accordingly and re-verified it was dead-on.

Just a little later, in 2.21 it says to basically do it again, this time with the engine running. Shouldn't the timing already be exact from doing the section 2.18 steps? Or does it really need to be re-visited again?
Thanks you;
Ernie
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yes do it again with the engine running. Even with the plugs out an engine on the starter is speeding up and slowing down constantly with load. Usually more noticeably the fewer pistons you have. This makes the first time less accurate.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Yes do it again with the engine running. Even with the plugs out an engine on the starter is speeding up and slowing down constantly with load. Usually more noticeably the fewer pistons you have. This makes the first time less accurate.
Crap - that's not easy/possible in my case (motorcycle). What I have is just a small plug that you remove and the only marks are for TDC and one other for valve lash (I think). It's a tiny hole and if the engine is running you get a lot of oil spraying out of it :?
Thanks you;
Ernie
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

Ernie,

What I've done before is get some clear rod, and turn a threaded portion on it, and made a window, but it's quite hard to see the mark underneath then, and the strobe reflects off the acrylic especially on smaller diameters. In the end, I gave up, and just wore a pair of clear safety specs, and spent as little time over the hole as possible, and always had some blue roll ready to wipe the glasses clean again after they got spattered! :)

Mike
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
BigLou240sx
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigLou240sx »

In the Microsquirt Module Developers Guide, the microsquirt schematic sheets end at sheet 8/10, omitting the injector driver circuits sheet and the WLED/ALED sheet.
1990 Nissan 240sx / SOHC KA-T / DIYPNP
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

Having 1 PDF is great, I have looked and couldn't find some things I needed.

No mention/wiring diagram of how to connect a BIP373. I finally found on another site that there is already a 100ohm resistor on the line and only needed an additional 220.

No good diagrams of rising/falling edge on a VR sensor.

Lack of detailed information/explanations of many tunerstudio items. With the description of "almost ever install uses this method" doesn't give me enough info on what the function actually is.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

aw113sgte wrote:Having 1 PDF is great, I have looked and couldn't find some things I needed.

No mention/wiring diagram of how to connect a BIP373. I finally found on another site that there is already a 100ohm resistor on the line and only needed an additional 220.

No good diagrams of rising/falling edge on a VR sensor.

Lack of detailed information/explanations of many tunerstudio items. With the description of "almost ever install uses this method" doesn't give me enough info on what the function actually is.
Please be more specific. Which manual and which items.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".