what are the advantages of upgrading ms2 firmware

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

what are the advantages of upgrading ms2 firmware

Post by Supernova_6969 »

Hi.
I have a car that i bought with an msii, firmware 2.888. Im having issues with the communication and might have to reflash ( i think the firmware got corrupted at some point as i was tunning).

My question is: what are the advantages and potential disadvantages of flashing a new fw?

I am a newb when it comes to ms2 and only want to be able to re-burn my current msq and drive away with it witbout having to reprogram anything... At least not until i understand what im really doing; the car worked but was badly tuned (ve, afr and spark tables), i only played with the ve abd afr so far, and thats pretty much all im comfortable with right now....

Thanks
1983 Datsun 280zx, inline 6 2.8l, T03/04 turbo, Megasquirt II.
Bought built like that, but completely untuned. Getting better and better one VE table box at a time.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: what are the advantages of upgrading ms2 firmware

Post by kjones6039 »

There is no "upgrading to ms2 firmware" per se. Any upgrading of the firmware, would be from B&G to Extra code.

Ken

EDIT: At the risk of hurting someone's feelings, which I don't intend to do, there is an inherent risk when you acquire a used MS! You have no idea of how it may have been used, modified, or treated. I suggest that you work toward getting your comms issues ironed out first and keep seeking help on the forum. It is almost certain that you will be able to get the car running with the help available here. In the meantime, a very thorough reading of the appropriate manuals is probably in order!

All of the foregoing is just one old guy's opinion of course.
Last edited by kjones6039 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

I must be either confused or using the wrong words.

going from firmware 2.888 to the current 3.3.2.. that's what I'm talking about.

That's what I mean by upgrade. please correct me if i'm wrong about this or about to embark on something not recommended.

so, if I do that...

what are the advantages and potential disadvantages of flashing a new fw?

and

would I be able to re-burn my current msq and drive away with it without having to reprogram anything (like the injector pulse width and the cranking time and all those weird, somewhat advanced things?
Bought built like that, but completely untuned. Getting better and better one VE table box at a time.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

No, you wouldn't be able to just drive away after that upgrade. There are many advantage, but user input is required too.

You may well be advised to reload the exact same firmware version and a copy of the tune you saved.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

James, man, you just potentially saved me a heart attack.

so if i reload the 2.888, all should be just as before?

if I do choose to load 3.3.2, what should i expect to have to do? start from scratch? or just have to input things for newer options that just weren't there for 2.888? if so, where could i get info on that stuff?

thanks.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

James,

I've lost track of all the version numbers over the years! Isn't 2.888 a B&G version?

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

mmmm. so. ah. I'm lost.

I looked at http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/downloads.html, figured out which board I had, downloaded all the tools I needed and then a copy of the 3.2.2.

based on what James said, I figured i'd find 2.8.8, and simply reflash that. but I can't find it in the "old" firmware list. I believe it might be what came with the MSII when it was originally bought by the guy who built the car...

one way or another, can anyone direct me to a dl link for 2.8.8?

***edit: btw, is 2.888 being B&G a good thing? aren't they the ones who make the MSII? please humour me if this is a ridiculous question....
Last edited by Supernova_6969 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

kjones6039 wrote:Isn't 2.888 a B&G version?
Yes it is.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

Like Jean said, 2.888 is a B&G firmware. If you want help with that, you need to go to msefi.com forum. If you want to upgrade to MS2 extra firmware, you might be able to copy over your timing table, VE table, AFR table and that kind of stuff, most settings won't copy over tho.

If you want the simple route, you can find the 2.888 firmware s19 and ini here: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/revisions.htm. Save a copy of your MSQ before flashing the firmware.

On a side note, most comms issue are caused by poorly shielded USB cable and stuff like that usually, not the firmware.
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

thanks for the reply, 93white3400z. things are starting to make a little bit more sense now.

from what I understand, the firmwares found and supported here are essentially different and incompatible from what was already in the MSII when I got it..?

well, that settles that: i don't think i have the technical abilities to start over from scratch..

just in case you are curious and still willing to help, the following thread is about my problem, the one that initiated this one we're on right now.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=55945

essentially, I could connect and did so many times, then all of a sudden following a burn, I couldn't connect anymore... and as you read to the end (so far), now the car won't start cause I erased the firmware altogether.. I am not happy.

anyways I'll appreciate any help i can get. thanks for all of you who did helped.

thanks!!!

PS: so, let's say i'm curious now. why would one want to change from a B&G 2.888 to MS2 extra firmware?
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

The main reason I went to Extra firmware was to control more than one coil pack, in my case to run 4 coils in waste spark mode on a V8 engine. (Basic tune-up parts for an older Mercedes are NOT cheap! Cap, rotor, wires run around $300-600 depending on the vendor!)

There are numerous other options that are only available in the MS-extra variants as well.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Basically, the extra code is more capable - more features, more options, more toys. If the B&G code does what you need - great! It's a perfectly serviceable firmware. If you need more, upgrading is fairly straightforward. If you've already developed and tuned your fuel, spark, and AFR tables, these can be exported to your laptop, then imported back into the controller once you've loaded the extra code.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I think if you open Tuner Studio and select MS II Extra Example you can see the different options and compare it to the B&G code.

If you save your MSQ for the B&G code you can load the tables and critical values into Extra and accept the defaults and the car will drive (or very close).

Auto tune will fix and real badness.

The features and options available in Extra code far outweigh any pain incurred in switching.

The fact that you have a running car now is half the battle, you know the physical aspects are good.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.