There is signal,but not spark

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

There is signal,but not spark

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Hello all,

I am new here and need your prompt help. My car Citroen Xsara VTS is running now on ITBs and middle cams.The problem is lean at high RPM and very rich on idle.The MAP sensor don't measure correct now,so I have decided to play in parallel with MS2Extra & Alpha N and my stock ECU Magneti Marelli 1ap.10(wich is control COP & injectors fully sequentially). Several months ago I bought V3.0 main board with one VB921 driver installed on it.

Because I want to use my COP running wasted spark I was order additional drivers.They have been installed on the 2nd row with additional heater.The ground was soldered to jumper R43.

Everything installed now but the car doesn't start.After some test I found sparks missing.I have installed back OEM ECU plugs and start the car.The VR signal is shared and both tuner studios and dashboards shows exact the same RPM so I believe it is not sensor issue.I remove one of coil plug during the engine idling and checked the both PINs(it is driven direct from ECU with the similar drivers as MS ones).I have +12-14V on pin 2 and Led pulse on pin 1(I don't have oscilloscope).Do you see something wrong in my setings?

This how should look like the signals,

And the what I was set to MS

Thank you very much for your time.

P.S. If Datalog is required I will appreciate if you help me to understand how to be extracted.
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: There is signal,but not spark

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Firmware is ms2extra_3.3.3_release. I found how is data log works,just tell me what exact to record.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

To get a data log, go to the Data Logging menu and click Start Logging. You will be prompted for a file name. The log starts when you save the file (this is an easy one to get tripped up on as a lot of people expect saving the file to be what you do at the end of the log). Once you have recorded what you need, go to the Data Logging Menu and click Stop.

Do not try removing any fields from the data log - you never quite can tell what might have the key information. Just post the whole log.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

I believe smth is going wrong here.In my POV I bought it with that scheme,

so I should cut the yellow jumper in order to use wasted COP from R26 & R28. Am I correct?

Tommorow I am going to rec a some datalog.
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Here it is datalog.

Thanks in advance!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are you able to get spark in output test mode?
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Yes,I will try tomorrow.Last Sunday I did real test.I had started the engine with OEM ECU,I used spare coils and spare sparks plugs to check what was going on.Unfortunately the Tuner Studio showed 850-950 RPM but no sparks at all.
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

I perform output test, same result. There is signal,but not sparks at all. Could be hardware issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ahBX40e51k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxh2CNizios
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sounds like it. VB921s are rather fragile.
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

All four? Could be earth issue?!Now is connect to R43 jumper. This car is killing me softly.
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

I have just change earth source to engine head.I will repeat the test next days,hopefully I will see sparks.
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Today I made another test and the result is very lean spark on 3rd coil,but I found that main relay of the relay board is very hot.I took coil + from the relay board. Could be low capacity of the positive?Where is the best connection of the positive coil end?

1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Smth is going wrong, I've changed positive end direct to the battery and one of VB921 exploded during the test. :roll:

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I was pretty confident the VB921s were on their way out earlier. Try replacing them with the tougher BIP373s.
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

I have a pair of Bosch ignition modules.Can I replace VB921 with them?And what resistor is supposed to be used?

1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

I removed all VB921s and conected 1 of the ignitior chanel to S5 of the relay board,but again no spark.I tried all 4 chanel but the same result.All sparks,coils and ignitiors were removed working by me.Must be set up issue.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Do you have a schematic for how you've modified the ECU to drive that module?
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

Here you are,but I've used 330 Ohm per channel and 2 COP instead of coilpack. As soon as I get a spark I will add second ignitior and other 2 coils for wasted COP.

1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

I added 680 resistors and get some sparks,but I think they are very lean.What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlxQ-JQh ... e=youtu.be
1vayl0Pavl0v
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1vayl0Pavl0v »

The car had started a few minute ago but stopped after 3-4 seconds.Attached set up and data logs.If I conect coils to OEM ECU the engine is idling and acellerate normal.DWELL is going crazy during the engine work.