Bmw M50 new crank sensor

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Bmw M50 new crank sensor

Post by djsteffen86 »

Hi all,

I'm new at the forum, but I've been looking time time for a while now.

I need some help to finish my bmw m50 project, more precisely i need a new crank/cam positions sensors, since the types I have now is the Siemens edition. And according to this forum, the Siemens types is neither VR og Hall, can anybody confirm this? The type of DME is a Siemens MS40.1 if that would help confirming... :)

If i can't use the sensors I have now, could I just buy some new Hall types and install them, or would I have to change the trigger wheel also? That goes also for the cam trigger wheel, do I need to change something here, when I swap a new Hall sensor....?

Best regards from Denmark :D
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Bmw M50 new crank sensor

Post by grom_e30 »

i thought it was the newer engines m54 that used the weird sensors there is a way to use the though if yours is the same see here
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 71&t=55751
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by djsteffen86 »

I have to confess, i'm little confused now :cry:

I thought when it was a Siemens DME and the sensors itself is a Siemens, its written on it, it has to be some of the odd sensors I have been reading about...

The sensors have 3 wire, like the hall types, but the vr types also have 3 wires but one of the are shield... very confusing... :o

Is there any way to determine what type the sensors really are?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=43908 see that post apparently its the m52 onward engines. is your crank sensor in the block or on the front pulley??
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by djsteffen86 »

Yes, i was reading this post a while ago, but i rather be sure what type of sensor I have, and apparently there could be some difference in the american and European market..

My sensor is located same way as the picture:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... ic1-01.jpg
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you have a scope check the output from the sensor.
EspeNS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by EspeNS »

Have used a hall sensor from DIYautotune on a mates M50 engine with great sucess. We have been using the threaded type, but wil change to the type that is more similar to the originaly VR sensor when the engine is finished from rebuilding, and have found itself a car to be put into.
The engine originaly had Bosch DME and sensors.
-84 Ford Sierra 2,0ohc GL, soon to be MS'd, NA tuned with rallyecam and TBI.
-98 Mustang Cobra, track car.
djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by djsteffen86 »

I appreciate the answers, guys :D

I'm still a little confused, about the sensor types though..

What i'm reading from the links you sent, the sensor could easily also be a Hall type already, but would Siemens also makes these Hall types?
I don't have access to a Scope...could one use the part number on the sensors to determine which type it is? I've already tried the part number on realoem.com, but it's doesn't say which type it is, just that its a pulse generator... :(

Lets say that the sensor is a odd Siemens type - would my currently trigger wheel work with a new sensor such as a Hall type, or do I need to change the trigger wheel also?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the 60-2 on the crank will work fine with either a standard hall sensor or a vr sensor, if you do have un-compatible sensor you should be able to easily swap it for the sensor from the m50 engines that used the bosch management and that should play nice with your megasquirt. do you know what trigger you have on the cam whether its a single tooth or a half moon 50/50 setup?
djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by djsteffen86 »

Ok that sounds good! I will order a Hall sensor, because I've been looking for a VR sensor, but I only could find the hall types :)

I'm actually not sure, how the trigger on the cam looks - its been a while since i was assembling the car. But out of my memory I think i looks like this one:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=11&fg=25

But again, I can remember how it actually look... :oops:

Would it be a big difference between theese two types of camshafts trigger, sinces your a asking? :?: :)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if its the single tooth hall or vr will work if its the 50/50 half moon hall is needed for the cam. what ecu are you going to run?? and will it be a wasted spark or full sequential?
djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by djsteffen86 »

Ok that was good to know. I think i will ordre two Hall types, just too be sure :D

I will be using af MS2. I bought it from DIYautotune a little while ago as a DIY self kit :mrgreen:

To start with the plan is to run wasted spark, so I don't need the cam at this moment. But later on i will try to run full sequential, so therefor i could just order two new Hall sensor at one time...
djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by djsteffen86 »

I was looking for two new Hall types sensors, but I think i'm getting myself confused. Do you maybe know, BMW parts number for these two sensors? Both for the crank and cam... :D
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i think this is the cam sensor 12 14 1 740 959, And 12141703277 but im not 100% sure on those.
djsteffen86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by djsteffen86 »

I think I've had a little brain fart... :D

I had forgotten that I have installed TecDoc a while ago, therefor I just could lookup my sensor types...

I've tried to lookup your sensor, and yes they are both Hall types, so your were correct :mrgreen:

Links to the datasheet on these to sensors: (It's on danish, but I think you get it!)
Crankshaft:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=084 ... 2168293935

Camshaft:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=681 ... 9195062498

Now I have to do the same thing for my Siemens sensors, but it have to wait because i will first be back from work next week sometime...

But thank you for your time and help! :yeah!: