Sending a custom output for economy gauge

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

feelingsupersonic
MS/Extra Newbie

Sending a custom output for economy gauge

Post by feelingsupersonic »

Weird question, my previously-Motronic car has an economy gauge that shows real time gas mileage by looking at road speed, RPM, and a fuel injector load signal. That injector signal was sent by the stock ECU which is gone in favor of a Microsquirt.

Is there any support in TunerStudio to broadcast a "custom" signal? I think it's similar to injector duty cycle PWM signal. However I'm using different injectors than stock, so the signal will need to be massaged in order for the economy reading to be accurate. Anyone have pointers? It's not mandatory I get it working, but I have every other gauge working except that one.

The stock signal was a square wave, much like an injector signal, so that would be the starting point. Thanks for any info!

Michael
1983 Porsche 944 - Microsquirt V3, limited by atmospheric pressure.
1986 Porsche 951 - MS3Pro and a turbo as big as my head
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Sending a custom output for economy gauge

Post by jsmcortina »

This is a firmware question. What Megasquirt ECU do you have?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i did this on a BMW E30 i was running sequentially so just connected the fuel rate signal to one of the injector out puts which worked fine until i fitted bigger injectors then the reported mpg was off. i ended up using an arduino to read the injector p/w and to calculate a scaled signal output to send off to the mpg gauge and that works well. as you have a microsquirt i don't think there is a way to do this using the ecu.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
feelingsupersonic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by feelingsupersonic »

jsmcortina wrote:This is a firmware question. What Megasquirt ECU do you have?

James
Sorry :oops: I'm running MSExtra 3.3.3 if I recall correctly - I'm a couple hours away from the car but it was up to date about a month ago when I last checked. I know 3.4.0 is out now, though. It's a Microsquirt V3
grom_e30 wrote:i did this on a BMW E30 i was running sequentially so just connected the fuel rate signal to one of the injector out puts which worked fine until i fitted bigger injectors then the reported mpg was off. i ended up using an arduino to read the injector p/w and to calculate a scaled signal output to send off to the mpg gauge and that works well. as you have a microsquirt i don't think there is a way to do this using the ecu.
Thanks for the info. I'm running 346 cc/min injectors vs the stock 258 cc/min so I'll definitely have to go that route if I pursue this further, it sounds like.
Last edited by feelingsupersonic on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Porsche 944 - Microsquirt V3, limited by atmospheric pressure.
1986 Porsche 951 - MS3Pro and a turbo as big as my head
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you do go the arduino route your injectors are roughly 35% larger so if you read the pw from the injector and times it by 1.35 should get you some where close to where it should be.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????