Microsquirt and bluetooth module HC-05

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Microsquirt and bluetooth module HC-05

Post by old guy »

On my Microsquirt I put a DB9 socket in the end plate and hooked up a 7805 regulator for the 5V. Would probably have been better to use a DC to DC module, but I didn't have one at the time. I also put a switch to turn off the 5v if I wanted to use a serial cable.
I found that the HC-05 modules with the DB9 at both end were the easiest ones to work with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-DB9-RS2 ... xydl5SHvIn
Plug one end into your Pc serial port to program and the other end plugs into your MS. Digi-Key also sells a plastic cover that fits this unit.
If you look in the $7 bluetooth thread I posted a link and a picture.
It's been a while, but if I recall all you had to do was plug in the module and it would accept AT commands. No jumpers or resistors.
A lot of people don"t know is that there are two different modes of AT commands on these modules depending on how they are jumpered.
olafesq
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by olafesq »

I want to point out, that the bare-bone BT module works on 3.3V TTL, but tolerates 5V TTL too, so I'm tapping the BT TX/RX straight on the MS chip TX/RX, ie before the Max 3221 RS232 serial converter on the MS board. The bare-bone BT module needs 3.3V to power and the module I'm using has a regulator 5V to 3.3V on the module board (blue board under the green BT board), that takes care of it.

Doing it that way avoids the signal converting from MS TTL -> RS232 -> back to TTL for BT.

Cheers,
Olaf
gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gui67 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:I have this one. It has everything on board as opposed to just the bare module.
Would this work if I wire a dB9 connector with txnrx gnd and 5v from the microsquirt?

What are the other possibilities ?
Hc05 inside the case connected directly to the cpu

And for a ms3pro? Is it the same?
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

gui67 wrote:
slow_hemi6 wrote:I have this one. It has everything on board as opposed to just the bare module.
Would this work if I wire a dB9 connector with txnrx gnd and 5v from the microsquirt?

What are the other possibilities ?
Hc05 inside the case connected directly to the cpu

And for a ms3pro? Is it the same?
this did not play nice with my microsquirt. it worked ok with my ms3.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
revan_bolo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by revan_bolo »

hi I wasn't sure if I should make a new post, but my question is will a kindle hd fire 8 work with the blue tooth connection for ms3?
kikkegek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kikkegek »

I have gone through the DIY and I just dont trust myself soldering the Tx and Rx wires. man, those pads are small.

I wondered if its just not a lot safer and easier to just solder the Tx and Rx wires to pin 13 and 14 on the back of the board?
pin13_-14.jpg
pin13_-14.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 658 times
my project page, BBC 454 with LPG vapour injection:
my BBC 454 LPG vapour injection tuning story 8)

my Facebook projectpage:
My 1977 GMC C15 Suburban "Storm" 8)
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

grom_e30 wrote:this did not play nice with my microsquirt. it worked ok with my ms3.
Possibly not true RS232. I've seen that with a USB-serial adapter. They cheaped out and only had 0-5V outputs instead of -7V/+7V.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Dave-db100
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dave-db100 »

i use the HC-05 configuration software, i have attached it as a file to this post, its not my work but does the job.
Attachments
HC 05 Configurator.zip
(439.52 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
kikkegek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kikkegek »

kikkegek wrote:I have gone through the DIY and I just dont trust myself soldering the Tx and Rx wires. man, those pads are small.

I wondered if its just not a lot safer and easier to just solder the Tx and Rx wires to pin 13 and 14 on the back of the board?
The attachment pin13_-14.jpg is no longer available
I solved this myself. My bt board had an onboard RS232 converter. So I could solder my wires to these pins.

this is what mine looked like:
arduino_HC-06_RS232_bluetooth_module.jpg
arduino_HC-06_RS232_bluetooth_module.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 633 times
I took the DB9 connectors of and placed is inside the case. Works great now
my project page, BBC 454 with LPG vapour injection:
my BBC 454 LPG vapour injection tuning story 8)

my Facebook projectpage:
My 1977 GMC C15 Suburban "Storm" 8)