Setting fall-back values for sensors

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Setting fall-back values for sensors

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

Is there some way of setting the limits of the expected sensor values to trigger fall back, especially for the CLT?

Running current version of Ms2Extra. If I disconnect my (calibrated) CLT sensor to simulate a cable break, the MS calculates -18°C (0°F). This is potentially dangerous for the engine regarding cold advance of the ignition.
As I don't intend to ever have coolant temps that low (motorcycle), I would like to set my lower limit accordingly.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Setting fall-back values for sensors

Post by benckj »

I wondered the same thing myself. OEM computers have a default value should the sensor either short or open circuit. Would certainly think the MS products would have same.

On a similar question, does the MS throw a code to tell you a sensor has failed? Not all of us run products which display real time sensor data like Shadow Dash.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

ms3 has a 'check engine light' function with limp mode strategy's
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

There is a fall-back implemented I think, as the value is 82°C when no sensor is configured. But it doesn't work for me anymore after calibrating my sensor via the 3 point method. I assume the calculated resistance at that point is so high, that it's indistinguishable from a broken cable to the MS.
My project: Link
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Dennis_Zx7r wrote:Is there some way of setting the limits of the expected sensor values to trigger fall back, especially for the CLT?

Running current version of Ms2Extra. If I disconnect my (calibrated) CLT sensor to simulate a cable break, the MS calculates -18°C (0°F). This is potentially dangerous for the engine regarding cold advance of the ignition.
As I don't intend to ever have coolant temps that low (motorcycle), I would like to set my lower limit accordingly.
You could limit the effect in software settings? No fuelling etc correction outside your temperature range?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Dennis_Zx7r wrote:Running current version of Ms2Extra. If I disconnect my (calibrated) CLT sensor to simulate a cable break, the MS calculates -18°C (0°F). This is potentially dangerous for the engine regarding cold advance of the ignition.
This doesn't sound normal? That out-of-range value is set when you calibrate the sensor through TunerStudio.

Technically, when you perform the 3-point sensor calibration, TunerStudio creates the lookup table that the firmware uses to convert voltage/ADC values into real-world temperatures. It then sends this lookup table to the firmware. When your sensor is unplugged, the ECU will see approx 5V on the input, this should land in a fallback part of the lookup table.

Did you calibrate the sensor through TunerStudio? What 3-point values?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

2°C, 5700 ohm
28°C, 1780 ohm
92°C, 225 ohm

BiasResistorValue 2490ohm
Last edited by Dennis_Zx7r on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

jsmcortina wrote: This doesn't sound normal? That out-of-range value is set when you calibrate the sensor through TunerStudio.
i have had my microsquirt powered up on the bench in the past without the mat and clt sensor connected and they both show -18
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

I just measured the voltage on the IAT and CLT pins. Both 5v, as expected. IAT falls back to a reasonable value (21°C), CLT falls back to -18°C.

Have removed cold advance in the (not used) lower regions as suggested, so I guess that's a workaround.

The problem definately is the calibrated value! If i use 5429 (2°C) or above, fall back goes to -18°C. At 5428 and below, it falls back to 82°C!