Microsquirt for fuel only Subaru 3.0 EZ30r

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Microsquirt for fuel only Subaru 3.0 EZ30r

Post by gui67 »

Hello,
I would like to be able to convert my Subaru Legacy from 2005 with EZ30R engine to flexfuel.
Is it possible to install a microsquirt to control fuel only and let the original ECU take care of the ignition,, DBW, valve lift...
Is the crank trigger wheel of this engine compatible with Microsquirt? The engine is COP, so taking the signal from the coil is not possible. Any other possibility, maybe using the camshaft signal? I would like to avoid putting a new wheel and sensors.
Is it possible to share 5V signals from OEM ECU with Microsquirt (TPS, MAP...) I think CLT and MAT must be added
thanks for your advices.
Guillaume
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Microsquirt for fuel only Subaru 3.0 EZ30r

Post by rickb794 »

Anything is possible with the correct application of technology and money.

As noble as your quest sounds the expense does not seem worth it.

You will need larger injectors to flow enough fuel for corn squeezins so there is really no going back.

I would suggest a plug and play full control system but that may be as difficult due to other car systems integration with the OEM EMS.

I think the MS3 was recommended because it will do the VVT and some other stuff a uSquirt/MS2 will not.

The DBW may be a gotchya.
Last edited by rickb794 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I would at least go with a MS3 / MS3x setup at least for the SD card. Logging is worth every penny.
gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gui67 »

I have MS3x on my other vehicle, but I don't use Sd card logging. I take my notebook to log whzn needed. So if microsquirt is enough for my goal, i prefer not paying the MS3 price and buy new headers with the difference for example.
Would the mcrosquirt be able to run the injectors on this engine without needing to add a new wheel?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

A uSquirt has two high impedance injector channels, figuring out the flex sensor and the sensor sharing will be the difficult part.

Check the manual on the flex fuel part, the sensors will be trial by error. The uSquirt will need it's own wideband as well. The oem computer may revolt with it not having fuel control (set codes and other badness, limp mode or some such)
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gui67 »

rickb794 wrote:Anything is possible with the correct application of technology and money.

As noble as your quest sounds the expense does not seem worth it.

You will need larger injectors to flow enough fuel for corn squeezins so there is really no going back.

I would suggest a plug and play full control system but that may be as difficult due to other car systems integration with the OEM EMS.

I think the MS3 was recommended because it will do the VVT and some other stuff a uSquirt/MS2 will not.

The DBW may be a gotchya.
Full control system might be very complicated because everything is connected with CANbus.
For the price, gas is 1,55€/l, E85 is 0,70€/l it burns 11l for gas 100km so it cost now 17€ for 100km. E85 would maybe burn 15l so it would cost 10.5€. I would save 6.5€ every 100km. I make 2000km per month, this makes 130€. 1560€ per year.
So if it is possible to make it possibke with a Microsquirt, I don't need to calculate too long.
Injectors are large enough, just the fuel pump would maybe need to be upgraded
I still have a spare flex sensor and LC2 O2 sensor so this is also not the problem.
For timing, I have access to the ECU with romraider and it can also disable some codes if the ECU is not happy, I don't see why it should not, if the fuel is set correctly.
Thevonly question is if microsquirt understands the wheel from the Subaru H6. And if it is possible to share a Vr sensor between 2 Ecu.
gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gui67 »

I did not find any solution to convert the stock ECU to flexfuel except adding an other ECU.
So last question before ordering the microsquirt:
Would it be possible to use one input of the microsquirt to detect the pw of the the stock ECU and using this value, add a %age depending on flexfuel ethanol content and driving the injectors?
or do I need to use all the sensors (MAF, IAT, CLT, O2) and reproduce the stock fuel table with the flexfuel fuel multiplier?

Thanks
Guillaume
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Sharing sensors is tricky at best, this is car model specific information and you may have better luck finding answers in a Subaru forum.

Ask about piggybacking an ECU

Maybe an APEXI unit would be good for this application?
That does not appear to work, the Apexi site product finder seems to have nothing for the Legacy.