Cleaned up Voltage, still getting secL

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Cleaned up Voltage, still getting secL

Post by piledriver »

Just follow the recommended install, and I'd bet you have much "louder" noise sources.

Don't forget the battery terminals. All squeaky Clean and slathered in vaseline...
Good name for a band? :lol:

2/0 welding cable makes for great battery cables and ground straps.
Check & clean and replace all of them if dubious, esp any flat braided junk.
The flat braid can fail miserably and still look perfect.

But: Resistor plug wires and plugs first, work from easy>hard rather than the reverse.
Last edited by piledriver on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

piledriver wrote: Don't forget the battery terminals. All squeaky Clean and slathered in vaseline...
Good name for a band? :lol:
Lol
Last edited by jsdevel on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Sync loss 17 = didn't receive the second trigger when expected in wheel mode

Might this shed some light on the problem?

You have not desribed your install or provided a MSQ.
Although it appears you are playing with an LS motor, 24x or 52x?
bad cam sensor? Im not sure how the LS decoder works.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

rickb794 wrote:Sync loss 17 = didn't receive the second trigger when expected in wheel mode

Might this shed some light on the problem?
The sync loss almost always occurs just after secL resets to 0. Would ill configured trigger wheel settings cause a reset?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I'm pretty sure there are pre-programmed LS modes rather than choosing a toothed wheel setup. You will have to determine if you have 24x or 52x.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

rickb794 wrote:I'm pretty sure there are pre-programmed LS modes rather than choosing a toothed wheel setup. You will have to determine if you have 24x or 52x.
Here's my disk setup http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=64939
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Have you tried turning on the noise filter?
Don't mess with the defaults, just enable it.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Not yet. I've re routed my sensor wires away from the power feeds, and mounted the lc2 controller away from the MS. I'm still getting crazy interference on the power feeds from the lc2. I have some split ferrites coming from mouser. Hoping those will fix that.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

jsdevel wrote:
rickb794 wrote:I'm pretty sure there are pre-programmed LS modes rather than choosing a toothed wheel setup. You will have to determine if you have 24x or 52x.
Here's my disk setup http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=64939
My comments about LS trigger modes was an assumption, I see now that you are running a CAS, so that would not apply.

Have you ruled out a bad CAS sensor? I would think that if you have a noise problem you would have problems with more than just the cam signal.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

rickb794 wrote:Have you ruled out a bad CAS sensor? I would think that if you have a noise problem you would have problems with more than just the cam signal.
Since re-routing my sensor wires away from the power feeds, I've lost both my cam and crank signal. I'll be troubleshooting the CAS in the next few days. I don't really understand why I've suddenly lost both signals, but it probably has something to do with re-routing the wires. I'll report back.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Moving the controller didn't help the noise (see http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 96#p497576). Going to follow the suggestions of piledriver in that thread.

I think my CAM/CK signals were swapped when I re-routed the wires. Going to swap them back tonight.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Any joy?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

This may have no effect, but can you upgrade to the current firmware. There was a bug in 3.4.1 that caused a reset (SecL=0) with EDIS. I don't think there is anything that will impact your install, but using the current 3.4.2 brings you up to date regardless. All settings will carry over, but be sure to SaveAs your MSQ first!!

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

SOLVED: Cleaned up Voltage, still getting secL

Post by jsdevel »

piledriver wrote:Any joy?
Thanks for following up!

The latest update is that I successfully figured out how to test my CAS http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 83#p498224. Much appreciation for those who were able to help in that topic.

As far as secL randomly resetting, here's where I'm at:
  • I re-routed my signal wires away from power wires.
  • Used a different USB cable (brand new one with built in USB to serial converter from EFI).
  • Mounted the LC2 Wideband Controller in the engine bay, moved the relay for it in the engine bay as well. Now I only have the signal wire and relay power wire going from the megasquirt area to the controller.
Sadly though, after doing this I'm no longer receiving any Tach signal in the Composite Logger. Hence the post on testing my CAS (I ruled out a bad sensor).

My wideband controller is still outputting noise like crazy. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a bad controller given how much noise it's putting out. I was thinking of performing my CAS test next to the ECU to see if the signal still comes through despite the wideband noise. I'm also wondering if perhaps the exhaust needs to have a proper grounding. It's a bit rusted and it wouldn't surprise me; although, the O2 sensor does have 4 wires going to it which I believe includes a ground.

I also purchased a JimStim (finally), and plan on testing the RPM signal of the MS on the bench to see if perhaps there's something internal that is broken.
Last edited by jsdevel on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

jsmcortina wrote:This may have no effect, but can you upgrade to the current firmware. There was a bug in 3.4.1 that caused a reset (SecL=0) with EDIS. I don't think there is anything that will impact your install, but using the current 3.4.2 brings you up to date regardless. All settings will carry over, but be sure to SaveAs your MSQ first!!

James
Thanks James! I suppose I have neglected to upload my tune and state that I've been using the 3.4.2 firmware. Given my situation I wish I was on 3.4.1 though because the EDIS fix sounds like it could be promising.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Can you see anything in the wheel//composite loggers??
Seems kinda... weird it would die just from moving some wires, does the CAS use Hall or vr sensors?
they are still getting the vref or 12v or whatever the cas runs on?
If hall, a decent dvm or perhaps even audio "Oscilloscope probe" should be able to see the signals in real time.
(I keep thinking I should build a high z front end for that)

You might consider temporarily pulling the WB just to see if its actually causing grief.
(pull and plug the sensor too, old ford spark plugs are cheap and available, don't forget the Milk of Magnesia)
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

OK. So after 6 months (we moved, and yata yata), I'm back at it!

I ended up having a few fried TIP122s for my injector drivers. Fixed that. Bench tested with the JimStim and everything is good.

Mounted it back in my car, rotated crank to TDC, set timing with a light, verified plugs and injectors are working, fuel pump is working, good pressure at the rail...

Car won't start!

MSQ and Logs attached.

Also, I had a TIP42C's heat sink mounted to the MS2 case before. This time I installed a MICA insulator. Seems to have made a difference with the noise.

Any help troubleshooting my tune would be greatly appreciated. It seems to want to try, but it just isn't getting there. Could sitting for 6 months have soured the gas?
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Well, put new gas in the car, but my issue was that my timing was way off. I fixed that. It's dead on the money now.

Upgraded all my grounds, grounding everything at the battery. Still getting resets like crazy.

Here's my new theory: Invalid Closed Loop Idle Settings.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Ended up being that I wasn't running resistor spark plugs. I could've swore that I was. Moral of the story is to always double check.