Arctic Cat 1000 Pro Stock Snowmobile

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Arctic Cat 1000 Pro Stock Snowmobile

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Hello All, it has been a while since I have been posting on here, but I have a small issue with a mega squirt install I'm working on. Please find the specifics below, followed by the problem.

Arctic Cat 1000 Pro Stock Snowmobile (2-Stroke / Twin Cylinder)
36-1 toothed wheel
4 coils, two plugs per cylinder
4 BIP Coil drivers

Ok, on to the setup, I have all the coil drivers mounted to the top of the box and two are wired two output Spark A and two on Spark B. I have the ignition set to wasted spark and D14 as spark output A. The led's are indicated alternating firing sequence. A then B. I have also tried wasted spark COP. And there is no change. I feel like they should be all wired to spark output A and the Ignition setting to wasted spark. The problem lies in that I tried to drive all four coil drivers from Spark output A and didn't get anything. I don't think I can drive four coil drivers of the same output. I had 4 330ohm resisters as per the coil driver wiring. I'm wondering if there is a way to edit the code to fire both spark output A and B at the same time. I have included a datalog file from tonight and the current Tune file. Maybe I'm missing something. I have confirmed that Spark output A is firing both coils for cylinder one and that the base timing is on the money. But in my mind at this time, I think I should have both Spark outputs firing at the same time to achieve water spark on this twin cylinder engine. Or maybe I'm wrong or over thinking it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
93 Skyline GTR
2001 NUR Spec Powertrain Swap
Way to many upgrades to list.

2.0 CR/Vtec - Long Gone..... Great Learning Experience.
B20Z Block, B16a Head(Big Valves- Ported)
Supercharged
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 With 4 Bip 373s running Wasted Spark.
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Arctic Cat 1000 Pro Stock Snowmobile

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Hello all, I spoke with Matt at DIYautotune today and he confirmed that it is not possible to run 4 coil drivers from one output. So running everything from Spark output A is not possible. So I don't know much about the inner workings of the code, but it would seem to me, that if I ran it in wasted spark COP, it should fire at the appropriate times. But in this setting, it seems like the engine wants to kick back. As this isn't my engine, and am installing on a friends sled I want to be sure the code is operating correctly. I'm hoping this is the way it works, Toothed wheel event 1 - Spark output A triggered, Toothed wheel event 2 - Spark output B trigged. I have 18 skipped teeth between events. Event one is at 9 teeth past missing tooth, and event 2 is at 27 teeth. If I can confirm the code is performing properly, I can move forward trying something else. I know it is possible, because there are guys running RZ350's and snowmobiles on youtube, so I know it is possible. :) I just need some help to figure it out. :)
93 Skyline GTR

Supercharged
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

If this engine has a 180 crank you need to set the engine type to oddfire.
Then in ignition settings, set your oddfire angle to 180 deg.This will fire ignA and 180 deg later fire ignB
The skip pulses is just how many ignition pulses the MS receives before it starts the spark output. Set it to about 3.
I could be wrong on this but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.
I know a few people have done Banshee engines, so if you search the forum for Banshee you might find a msq that helps you out.
Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Thank you very much for the rely Old Guy, It is indeed a 180 crank and I did have it set to even fire, so I have made the changes and am searching for a banshee MSQ now. Thank you so much again, I totally over looked that. I'm down at the sled now. Your post was very timely. :)
93 Skyline GTR

Supercharged
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I think you're over-thinking it. You have a 2T 180* twin with a 36-1 wheel - you should be running COP. Spark A fires the 2 drivers & coils for cyl #1, Spark B fires the parts for cyl #2.

Ol boy - this is a 2-stroke; 180* crank = even fire. Agree completely with skip pulses.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Hey Dontz125, thank you for the response. I actually had it running for about 16 seconds last night, with it set to odd fire, odd fire angle offset at 180 degrees. I have the ignition coils setting on COP. It sounded bit rough, but it ran. I'll be going down again tonight and try again. I believe I have a pickup problem as it is losing sync. I have attached couple of data logs from last night. However I did leave the skip pulses at 18. I'll try again tonight adjusting the skip pulses to 3. I have attached last nights tune file as well. It improved anyway, it didn't run before, now it does, just needs refining. I also searched the forums last night for a banshee MSQ. I found lots of posts by whitbread (Banshee owner), but none with a msg attached.

Data Log:
Second Try - This was the first try with coils set to COP. Recorded multiple loses of sync. This was a primed start, so I used the throttle to keep it running. Sync and Rpm get very sporadic at the end of run. Thinking the Acrtic Cat pickup is breaking down or possible noise.
Third Try - Begins at 12 sec. Believe lose of sync at the beginning and then at the end. I tried to restart with a few pulls but no go.

I'm going to install a filter/conditioner on the main power for the ECU. Thou I do believe this ti be trigger sensor issue. I have done some high speed trigger logs, the real time displays the tooth graph looking good. But the saved data only captures two or three teeth. I'll try this again tonight.

Thanks again for all your input guys.

Please have a look at the data logs and see if you guys can find something I don't see. Second try is the one with the most data.
93 Skyline GTR

Supercharged
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Set it to even fire; that odd-fire setting may be confusing things.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Hey Guys, I went down at the sled again this evening, changed it back to even fire and changed the skip pulses to 3. I had a great success this evening, it actually fired up and ran for a few seconds. I believe I'm putting the coil drivers into protection, they are getting pretty warm, pretty fast. Again, i used the stock coils from the sled, and they are CDI Coils. So I guess I need to run to the local scrap yard tomorrow and find a set of coils. Thinking LS truck coils, but I believe these are logic level coils. I'm not much up on the GM stuff. Would you guys have a recommendation on what year of truck I should be looking for, I would like to stay away from logic level as I'm setup for inductive coils. Please find the link to a short video of it running, I would like to thank everyone for the help, I'm getting closer to getting it out and testing it.

https://youtu.be/6lKWNBvXCcs
93 Skyline GTR

Supercharged
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Had great success tonight. :) I found a few more setting I had messed up, but all in all she is coming along. :) I ended up using a 99 dodge neon coil. The four post one without a igniter module. Worked like a charm. I'll post the tune file and a data log tomorrow so that it is online for anyone else attempting something like this. Please find a link to a YouTube video from tonight. Thanks to everyone who helped out with reply's to my questions.

https://youtu.be/zkFGJCcc_Mk
93 Skyline GTR

Supercharged
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Goodmorning everyone, I spent last night at the sled again, and I'm battling two issues. The one causing me the most stress is the duty cycle and pulse widths. I have 850cc injectors and according to the formula, I'm over injected by 100cc for the expected hp. The injector duty cycle is over 100% pretty much everywhere and last night I made a effort to get it below 100%, in the data log attached I have decreased the ve table number to where I'm slightly below 100% duty cycle, and have the fuel pressure over 60 psi. I don't believe this should be, the calculation and the base fuel pressure I used is 50 for the sled. I think I have a setting wrong somewhere. Another thing I noticed in the data log is that the pulse widths don't change much from 3000 to 8000 rpm. I'm going to go to untimed injection today and see if it makes a difference. I'm sort of at a lose on this. I think the code is computing the duty cycle on the available injection time, and that is why I'm at 100%.

The other issue I'm having is it seems to have a loss of sync or something, at 8000rpm the motor will lay down, but it doesn't quit. other times it will rev, and it is screaming, but the data log shows 3000rpm and no tps at all, this is very strange, I'm going to move the ignition coil today and hope that it is noise that I can't see in the datalog. In the attached data log, at 29.421s the first pull started. I didn't let off when the log shows it. The missed power run is at the 55 second mark. It missed this all together. I feel like this might be niose inducted dropout, there isn't much space on the sled so the coil is close to the harness and measquirt. I'm going to move it as far away from everything as I can today. But I'm open to suggestions or other things to try. I'm at a loss on both of these issues.

Thank you guys for all the help. I really appreciate it.
93 Skyline GTR

Supercharged
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
Rhdhybrid
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rhdhybrid »

Hey Guys, I just noticed that the injection timing table is all 0's. Is this normal in sequential/semi-sequential mode. I believe this is not correct. Just trying to figure this out. I looked up the timing table in the mega manual, but it doesn't seem to help much with my application. Thanks again for all the help, going out to big in two EGT probe bungs and head back down at the sled.
93 Skyline GTR

Supercharged
01 CBR 929RR Coil Sticks
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Do not use megamanual for MSExtra code.

Use the manuals linked in the top of these forums.

http://www.msextra.com/manuals
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!