GM 4 pin HEI and dual spark.

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

techdog1
MS/Extra Newbie

GM 4 pin HEI and dual spark.

Post by techdog1 »

Hello. I am having trouble getting my Microsquirt to produce a spark output.
I am using two (2) GM 4 pin HEI modules and a 420A coil pack. The pins on HEI #1 are (W) connected to ground. (G) Connected to the Microsquirt pin 12 for cylinders 1 – 4. HEI #2 (W) to ground, and (G) connected to Microsquirt pin 11 for cylinders 2 -3. The (B) pins are connected to 12 volt switched. (C) pins are connected to the coil primaries for each side of the 2 coils. The center pin on the coil is connected to 12 volt switched.
I have read the manual pages on DIY and it is somewhat confusing. I am trying to use the dual spark option with a 36-1 wheel for the input using a ford VR sensor tied to pin 32 and 33 on the Microsquirt. When I crank the engine I get a tach reading on both Tuner Studio and my dash tach. I get 186 RPM during cranking, still no spark out from the coils. I used this HEI setup because I have several of the modules left over from my TFI to Duraspark distributor conversion on another truck. The HEI modules are only $11. The other parts were very inexpensive also. The 36-1 was $17 from Rock auto. I made a mount for the $14, VR sensor, and machined the 36-1 wheel and crankshaft pulley. The VR sensor is at tooth 9 at TDC. I know I could use an EDIS 4, but I want the Microsquirt to control the ignition fully. I am using the firmware that came on the Microsquirt, V3.83E B&G.
Any input is welcome.
Thank you
R/S
James Short
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: GM 4 pin HEI and dual spark.

Post by jsmcortina »

It is likely best to upgrade to the current MS2/Extra firmware from the Downloads page. That is well supported and has a spark output test mode so you can check things out more easily.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
techdog1
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: GM 4 pin HEI and dual spark.

Post by techdog1 »

Thanks for the reply. The good advice that you gave, to change my installed firmware to MS2/Extra solved my no spark condition. I still do not know what the original problem was using the B&G firmware that came loaded with my Microsquirt. The settings were much the same, just different screens. I am getting spark, now I can turn on the fuel pumps and continue from there. I still need to finish putting the engine belts and hoses back on. Filling the radiator and cleaning up the wiring harness and other small things that go with having the engine half apart to install new injectors and de-installing the old intake setup with the VAF meter are happening this weekend.
Thanks for your help. I will include the new msq after it is running.
R/S
James Short