ms2 v3.0

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

57 chevy
MS/Extra Newbie

ms2 v3.0

Post by 57 chevy »

i am new to this forum (new at any forum) so please excuse me if im doing something wrong. I am just looking for help.I have a ms2 v3.0 running the latest ms2 extra firm.the problem im having is it tests ok on the stim and passes inj driver tests and wiring in the car is ok but when power is turned on the injectors turn on and stay on.both inj drivers.high imped injectors.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms2 v3.0

Post by rickb794 »

If it works correctly on a stim your car wiring is borked.

Use the recommended wiring diagram in section 3 of the manual and trace your wiring to find what has gone wrong.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
57 chevy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 57 chevy »

12.2 ohm injectors.I wired them using one single length of 14 gauge wire for 12 volts and another for inj outputs. using pig tails from inj hooked the end of the wire to front inj then stripped a small area down the wire and soldered the next inj in and so on 4 injectors on each channel.one wire for 12 volt the other for inj output.the two green inj wires are tied together as one same with the blue. does anybody understand this? Its a batch fire set up.thanks for the replys
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Were do the injectors get their power from? Did you wire it to be compliant with the core wiring diagram? http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... .4-14.html It has to be as shown in the diagram, you can't just wire it any old way.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Do the injectors energize without the MS plugged in?

I have violated the recommended wiring more than once and gotten away with it, however I'll never ask someone to trouble shoot it.
For best results follow it explicitly, especially for a first timer, or someone who is not a proficient trouble shooter.
Follow the grounding recommendations TO THE LETTER.

The biggest mistake a first timer makes is to wrap up all his work before testing.
The second most common mistake is to make a number of splices in the same place and when they are wrapped they pinch together. (stagger your splices in a straight section of a run)
You need to go after your install with an Ohmeter and a test light and test test test until you are sure all the wires go to where they should and there are no cross connects. This may mean untaping all of your work but that is better than a smoking MS.....

Also pull the spark plugs and clear the fuel from the motor before trying to crank it, and change the oil before trying to tune it or drive it.
A hydrolocked motor will break pistons and bend or break rods
Fuel Contaminated oil will damage the motor and the fuel will get drawn into the intake through the PCV and make your tune rich.
Then you change the oil and the car wont run. And if you wait to change the oil it won't matter because your cam has gone flat.

This motor was hydrolocked on fuel, Beat the snot out of the head & broke the block. It all went to the scrapper except the nuts & bolts.
Thankfully I did not cause it, it came to me with a miss and overheating! The owner never 'fessed up to what happened.
The only clue I got was that it had a new injector in that cylinder "to fix the miss" but it was spraying into an empty hole because the piston was in the pan.

Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
57 chevy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 57 chevy »

power for injectors comes from megasquirt relay board.the board sends power when the key is turned on from main relay not fuel pump relay but this is how it came setup i didnt change it.I am using a pre made relay cable from diy auto tune from relay board to ecu.with ecu unplugged I get 12 volts back through the inj outputs with inj plugged in.when I plug in ecu power drops to 7 volts and the inj turn on.inj wiring is one 14 ga wire for 12 volts and one for inj outputs on each side of the engine(v8) with the ecu unplugged inj stay off.do you understand how i made my inj wires? very simple but hard to explain.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

That relay cable has different ends on it. If you plug the wrong end in bad things may happen.
57 chevy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 57 chevy »

It came with one end marked ecu so I have to trust its right I'm afraid to switch it around I'm going to plug another ecu in tomorrow
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Dont switch the ends, that might have a bad ending.

but you could inspect it to insure it is correctly labeled.