D14 not flashing.

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

D14 not flashing.

Post by 107merc »

On the JimStim, ign1 and ign2 LED's alternate and flash in synch with the RPM set by the pot. and signal shows in Tuner Studio
on pulse width gauges. However D14 on the M/S does not flash which according to the manual it should.
T/S is set for alternating. Any info appreciated.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: D14 not flashing.

Post by slow_hemi6 »

How did you build it? or get it set up? if it was logic outputs then you could have a faulty or incorrectly installed component in the led circuit and the spark out still function. It is just a led, resistor and transistor to check. Schematics are in the manuals.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
elmanre
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by elmanre »

Bro same thing happened to me, check Q6, is very tricky to solder those transistors, they are really small, check that there is not a short and that they have good contact with the PCB, also try to go un tuner studio and test the LED and check the voltage at the output of D14 ( I guess you have wasted spark or 2 logic outputs)
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

There is 5V on one side of the LED, it is looking for the same ground that turns on the ign lamps on the J/S.
Hoped I had just missed a jumper requirement.
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

So after further checking, we have ascertained that pin 39 and 40 of the U1, inj1 and inj2 leads, are going on/off
ground but pin 7, the "squirt" lead to the D14 circuit not only does not alternate voltage but my multi-meter
only shows .003V, not enough, I don't think, to switch Q6 on that controls D14. Hopefully someone
will come up with something I forgot or I'm in big trouble. Any info appreciated.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you tried using the test mode to see if that voltage changes when you change the output from off to on?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

I thought that's what the JimStim was doing, alternating the pulses to inj1 and inj2
through pins 39 and 40 of U1 and D14 through pin7 or am I misreading the manual??
Thanks.
elmanre
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by elmanre »

Try to check it without jimstim first.

Go to tunerstudio, test mode I/O and start checking your ignition outputs, and check the voltage at the pins and LED.
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

OK, I'll leave the J/S turned off and connect 12V to pin 28 of the M/S. Should I use sensor or block ground pin for the other side??
Should state the M/S is on a test stand not in the car.
elmanre
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by elmanre »

107merc wrote:OK, I'll leave the J/S turned off and connect 12V to pin 28 of the M/S. Should I use sensor or block ground pin for the other side??
Should state the M/S is on a test stand not in the car.
You can use PIN 19 for ground. :D
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The issue is not the JimStim connection. If you have power with the JimStim, you're fine for now as it has nothing to do with the LED14 working or not. So power your unit, set the RPM to 0 and use the I/O test to check that the LED14 output works or not: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... 4-172.html

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

Thanks Jean that was the answer. Was thrown off by the statement in the manual that "The Megasquirt controller LED will flash synchronously
with the Stimulator Injector LED's" Quick question, D14 is much brighter than D15 or 16, is that significant?? Thanks again.

ADD: just realized that the manual section I quoted was NOT for the JimStim but V2.1 stimulator. Sorry to take up everyone' :( s time.
elmanre
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by elmanre »

107merc wrote:Thanks Jean that was the answer. Was thrown off by the statement in the manual that "The Megasquirt controller LED will flash synchronously
with the Stimulator Injector LED's" Quick question, D14 is much brighter than D15 or 16, is that significant?? Thanks again.

ADD: just realized that the manual section I quoted was NOT for the JimStim but V2.1 stimulator. Sorry to take up everyone' :( s time.
You should check voltages with a tester on the LED's