DIYPNP and TFI going out

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lwrs10
MS/Extra Newbie

DIYPNP and TFI going out

Post by lwrs10 »

I have a 93 5.0 Mustang, and since I have installed the DIYPNP it keeps eating TFI modules. They will last weeks normal driving, but as soon as I go to the track, it will eat one every pass. Seems to be above 3500 will kill it.

I have checked all my grounds for voltage drop with engine running, checked coil trigger on an oscope, coil primary and secondary resistance, shot all wires to ground for shorts, lapped the distributor mounting surface and used Artic Silver behind the TFI.

What am I doing wrong? This is driving me nuts.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: DIYPNP and TFI going out

Post by Blown88GT »

Don't really see how that could happen, unless there is something wrong with the factory harness.
Check this circuit on the DIYPNP.
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... ord-60-pin
DIYPNP Ford 60 Pin: Adapter Board Assembly – TFI Ignition Control
We’ve put a little step-up circuit on the F60 adapter board for TFI ignition control. This takes the 5 volt IGN signal, inverts it, and steps it up to 12 volts for TFI distributors. Do NOT install this circuit on EDIS-equipped cars.
TFI Ignition Control
1. Install the R1A and R2A resistors on the adapter board.
2. Install Q1A, with the curved side facing the curve on the silk screen.
3. Jumper IG1 on the main board to IGN on the adapter board. The rest of the connections are routed inside the PCB.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47