FIDLE to run fans and IAC

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tbstr3
MS/Extra Newbie

FIDLE to run fans and IAC

Post by Tbstr3 »

Per the following link and the text from it, does this mean I can run my IAC and my fans off the same FIDLE output?

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm

Another example is electric electric cooling fan control. We will turn it on 180°F and off at 170°F, using the relay board FIdle output to control a separate cooling fan relay (the traces on the relay board may not have enough current capacity to control your fan directly)

Note that changing the FIdle port settings (PM2) does not affect the operation of the stepper IAC settings and ports. You can still use the IAC stepper functions for controlling idle speed during warm-up (just select one of the stepper options for idle control).
Note that the settings will depend on whether you have an NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open) relay, so you must check that the fan works as you think it should.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: FIDLE to run fans and IAC

Post by hybrid »

First of all, do not use that manual for MSExtra code.
Use the manual links from this website.

Secondly - no, what you are talking about is impossible.
They are talking about completely different outputs there.

The MS2 daughter card as an idle stepper controller built into it.
You also have the regular idle output transistor that can be used for on/off warmup idle (or fan control) via a relay, or the transistor can be upgraded to run a PWM idle valve directly.

So what they are saying is that you can use a stepper idle valve while also using the idle output transistor to control a fan.
In the MSExtra code, you can also run an idle valve from the IAC transistor while using the stepper controller to control a fan.

But no, you can not share the same output for idle valve and fan.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
Tbstr3
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tbstr3 »

Thanks for the reply, I'm using the microsquirt and that other add on box for the stepper IAC, running a LS engine so I'm out of outputs to run the fans unfortunately (only reason looking into what that site says) thanks for the information! Q
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

I used to run a Microsquirt on my wasted spark V8.

What about tachout?
That is what I was using to run a fan via a relay.
Tbstr3
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tbstr3 »

Running tach out for my tach unless I could run my tach off one of the coil wires? The only other wire I have left is the Flex
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Yes, my tach is coming from one of the logic coil signals. As long as your tach will trigger from 5V, this will work fine.
I'm using a multiplier box to multiply the signal to suit my tacho. In fact, I'm pretty sure the multiplier box I'm using can also output a 12V signal if the tacho won't work with 5V.

But you could also connect each of your coil logic signals to your tacho with a diode in each line (band towards tacho) so they don't interfere with each other. Then you wouldn't need a multiplier box.