Help With Ignition System

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mr.crocodile
MS/Extra Newbie

Help With Ignition System

Post by mr.crocodile »

Firmware: ms2/extra v3.4.2
Tuning Software: Tuner Studio v3

The car runs fine if I use the stock ignition system with MS controlling fuel. I'm trying to switch over to wasted spark on 4 cyl. with a crank trigger wheel and I've only got the car to catch twice and it ran horribly both times. From what I can tell from using a timing light it's only firing from one coil pack, spr4 side. I wired everything up from the directions on this site
http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout-v30.html
How can I go about checking to make sure spark a is firing correctly? Unfortunately, I don't have a datalog from when it did catch so I include one while I was cranking it.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help With Ignition System

Post by hybrid »

Please post a trigger log as well, so we can see if it's reading the crank wheel properly.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
mr.crocodile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr.crocodile »

I've never used this part of the program so I hope I did it right.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Do you know every time you open the throttle more than 70% during cranking you put the ecu into flood clear and it cuts all fuel?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
mr.crocodile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr.crocodile »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Do you know every time you open the throttle more than 70% during cranking you put the ecu into flood clear and it cuts all fuel?
Yes, last couple of times I cranked it I got a strong smell of fuel coming from the engine, so I might've been a bit more cautious these last couple of tries.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

What is the ignition setup of the car?
mr.crocodile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr.crocodile »

hybrid wrote:What is the ignition setup of the car?
Stock was a single coil with a distributor and pickup coil.

I'm trying to switch to using the IGN-4 coil pack from diyautotune that's driven by MS2.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Crank trigger now?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

how exactly is the coil wired to the ecu? first normal log shows sync is fine during cranking. do the ignition outputs work in test mode?

edit:

also your over boost settings are wrong so when you are cranking its spark cutting so fix that and get a new log
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
mr.crocodile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr.crocodile »

grom_e30 wrote:how exactly is the coil wired to the ecu? first normal log shows sync is fine during cranking. do the ignition outputs work in test mode?

edit:

also your over boost settings are wrong so when you are cranking its spark cutting so fix that and get a new log
okay, fixed the over boost setting and it started up right away. It's still not firing cylinder 1 & 4(spark a wire), but (spr4 wire) cylinder 2 & 3 are firing.

I've never used test mode, I"ll need to look into that.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

ok the rpm signal is good so far in the log that is not your spark issue. have a look at the test mode as it allows you to fire the coils without the engine running if they do not fire in test mode you need to look at the hardware, coil ignition driver ect.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
mr.crocodile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr.crocodile »

I got all four cylinders to fire. I had JS10 wired to IGBTIN to pull rpm from the distributor pickup, I think that's what it was for, so I cut it and it fired up.

However, I couldn't get cylinders 2 & 3 to fire in test mode. Is that normal?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

JS10 is the other option for sparkA. Sounds like you either had not enabled it or were trying to do both D14 and JS10 at the same time? If cylinders 2 and 3 are on different spark channels (I don't know your firing order) then that is ok. It won't spark both ends of the wasted spark coils evenly and the polarity is reversed on one end.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
mr.crocodile
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr.crocodile »

slow_hemi6 wrote:JS10 is the other option for sparkA. Sounds like you either had not enabled it or were trying to do both D14 and JS10 at the same time? If cylinders 2 and 3 are on different spark channels (I don't know your firing order) then that is ok. It won't spark both ends of the wasted spark coils evenly and the polarity is reversed on one end.
I'm not sure why it was wired that way. Maybe when I originally put it together I had something else in mind.

Where can I find info on pin out and what js10, igbtin, and the other jumper spots are for?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/ms2manuals/

It's best to not deviate from the recommended scenarios to minimize head banging

Print out the sections that apply to your hardware and follow them to avoid confusion.
TS settings and mod circuits are detailed as applicable.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.