Injector driver?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Injector driver?

Post by Blown88GT »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Given 2 different issues have been found with it, I think at the least, 4 and 8 squirts should not be allowed to be selected with sequenced batch and a config error raised. Fixing it would be better, but there seems to be no interest.
Seems like a bug to me. 3.4.3 has been in Beta for a long time, don't know why the reluctance to fix this?
Post the above right here where it can't be missed:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=64451

All this occurred when seijirou changed from Basic Trigger (Dizzy) to Toothed wheel.
Otherwise, it's fixed at Untimed injection (greyed out) & Sequential injection is not allowed.

Don't think seijirou has Microsquirt Module which is not capable of Sequential or semi-Sequential, unless you add this kit:
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/diy ... ction-kit/

I found the thread on the Corral where I asked this question:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/megasqu ... n-kit.html

The Squirts per Engine Cycle is the only setting with no Tool Tip.
Sequential Injection Tool Tip:
Untimed injection = batch fire injection non sequential
Sequential/Semi-sequential = Injection is timed to specific crank angle, either once per rev (semi) or once per cycle (sequential)
Semi-sequential Siamese = For siamese port engines
Sequential Siamese = for siamese port engines.

James only comment on the other thread was:
The tooltip says:
"Sequenced batch fire can be useful to give more repeatable engine operation. On every startup the batch firing is aligned to the same ignition event (cylinder). Without this feature the alignment is random."
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Sequenced batch has nothing to do with sequential injection. It's only applicable to Untimed/Batch.
The tooltip says:
"Sequenced batch fire can be useful to give more repeatable engine operation. On every startup the batch firing is aligned to the same ignition event (cylinder). Without this feature the alignment is random."
James's quote is absolutely correct for 1 or 2 squirts, however 4 or more squirts breaks the feature. For 4 or more squirts you get 1. with Simultaneous the second bank squirting at an irregular separation (not even close to 180 deg) in the cycle which causes me fuel distribution issues and 2. On Alternating the second squirt has a different pulse width.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Blown88GT wrote:
slow_hemi6 wrote:Given 2 different issues have been found with it, I think at the least, 4 and 8 squirts should not be allowed to be selected with sequenced batch and a config error raised. Fixing it would be better, but there seems to be no interest.
Seems like a bug to me. 3.4.3 has been in Beta for a long time, don't know why the reluctance to fix this?
I have no plans to change the operation of "Sequenced Batch"

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

How about disallowing 4 or more squirts cause it's getting a bit old having to tell people not to use sequenced with 4 or more squirts.
Cheers Luke
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

jsmcortina wrote:
Blown88GT wrote:

James
Hmm. Because you don't believe there's a problem? Or just no time?
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

jsmcortina wrote:
Blown88GT wrote:

James
Bump. I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm genuinely interested in helping. I'm just an amateur so if my diagnostics aren't conclusive I just need some guidance on how to sufficiently prove there is or isn't an issue. If it's an matter of time, I believe I can have a developer buddy take a look at it who was interested in the issue but I told him to put the breaks on trying to fix it until I got some feedback here. If it's just a "don't care" situation then so be it, just need to know.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Most code changes or additions are based on demand, there needs to be a sufficient demand to generate interest.

There are other considerations that come into play as well like processor time and memory footprint.

The resources available to a MS2 processor are finite and I believe it is becoming problematic to add stuff as there is limited space.

I am pretty sure this is why most of the development has moved over to the MS3 platform.

If you can't change the squirts to something that works in the code, perhaps you could move to a MS3 to solve this?

That would also open the door to a lot of other features.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

Well this is an existing feature so I wouldn't think there's a resource question, but I'm not expert.

There are configurations that work, most of them work actually, it was only 4 or 8 squirts, alternating, with sequencing enabled that showed issues with regards to pulsewidth (hemi saw timing issues which my test cannot reveal).

I don't have a requirement to use either of those arrangements. I can ignore the problem by simply not selecting those, which is what I'm currently doing.

Simple, sure. But here's the thing, I did have configured 4 squirts - alternating - sequenced and had issues and I had no reason to believe it was firmware related. Running on the assumption that megasquirt was working the only logical conclusion for my AFR to be massively richer (this was a change to richness, not leanness which could have been explained by a blockage) on one side of the engine vs. the other is a massive difference in airflow and the only cause for such a large difference is a wiped out cam lobe, bent valve, bent pushrod, or broken rocker.

So I tore the top half of my engine down to find that there's no problem.

Lesson learned on my part, I'll check for bugs in megasquirt before I pull my engine apart again.

Now that I know such a problem exists, the polite thing to do for the community is to either fix it or at least block the problem configuration from being selected because it's going to keep "biting" people the same way until it's addressed. I would do it myself if I could, but I'm in no position to do that, so I'm doing what I can which is bring it up here and offer to help how I can.

I'm not at all annoyed about the situation because nobody knew, but I would be annoyed if I went through the hassle and $100 in gaskets and fluids and then learned that the problem was known a year ago and nobody fixed it, blocked it, or at the very very least documented it as a known issue in the firmware release notes.
Last edited by seijirou on Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

rickb794 wrote:Most code changes or additions are based on demand, there needs to be a sufficient demand to generate interest.

There are other considerations that come into play as well like processor time and memory footprint.

The resources available to a MS2 processor are finite and I believe it is becoming problematic to add stuff as there is limited space.

I am pretty sure this is why most of the development has moved over to the MS3 platform.

If you can't change the squirts to something that works in the code, perhaps you could move to a MS3 to solve this?

That would also open the door to a lot of other features.
The only problem is that this feature exists in MS3 and I haven't seen anybody test to see the issue is not present there as well. Sometimes code just gets ported across platforms.....
I started looking at the code but I have to be honest the commenting is not great and the specific variables that are used is also hard to work out. You can search for terms like sequenced batch etc and work back but it quickly gets convoluted and you are searching for ghosts. It seems to exist inside other routines/subroutines and I ended up packing it in one late night and just letting it be.
Cheers Luke
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

The other side of the issue is why would one want 4 or 8 squirts on timed injection?
I thought multiple squirts were to sort of band aid un-timed injection?

It seems like that would be defeating the purpose of timed injection.

I think it came up once in another thread that whenever you select timed injection it defaults to (or you should configure) 1 squirt?
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

Not timed/sequential, sequenced.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It is a Batch fire feature. I want to use it for my V8, TBI injected, common plenum, wet flow manifold application.
4 squirts by itself makes a big difference to the stability of AFR compared to lower numbers of squirts. If I can take out the randomness of when it squirts and keep the separation of pulses at 180 degrees then It would be about as good as it can be, given the limitations of TBI.
I have actually run the TBI on semi sequential and it was the best idle and most stable AFR it's ever had. The big but here is that it has to be run as 8squirts/cycle. This produces an audible howling from the injector drivers at idle. It's probably there at higher rpms with 4 squirts, but I can't hear it over the exhaust by then.
seijirou has a different issue with it in which it is causing one bank to have a different PW compared to the other.
Cheers Luke
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Ah! Throttle body injection. You need big giant bandaids for that. There is a reason none of the oem's use that anymore...
I was thinking from a port injection point of view.
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

Blown88GT wrote: All this occurred when seijirou changed from Basic Trigger (Dizzy) to Toothed wheel.
Otherwise, it's fixed at Untimed injection (greyed out) & Sequential injection is not allowed.
Read this before but just noticed the confusion which seems to be causing a misunderstanding from several readers. This isn't regarding timed / sequential injection. The problem does exist with Basic Trigger, in fact I can't test it on the bench with Toothed wheel because I don't have a jimstim, just a vanilla stimulator. I do see the problem on the car with toothed wheel configured (only a crank wheel for now, so still batch fire) and then I pulled the ECU out and hooked it up to my stimulator on the bench reconfigured for basic trigger to measure the different values between bank1 and bank2. So I am seeing the problem in both conditions toothed wheel and basic trigger.

This is an issue with Sequenced which the eyes can easily miss-read as sequential but this is *not* a sequential problem. This is a problem with sequenced batch fire.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I tried looking in the manual to find an explanation about this feature. If its not timed injection (which of course would need a cam signal) and it is batch fire what the heck does it do? Besides wreck your afr on 4 and 8 squirts.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

seijirou wrote:
Blown88GT wrote: All this occurred when seijirou changed from Basic Trigger (Dizzy) to Toothed wheel.
Read this before but just noticed the confusion which seems to be causing a misunderstanding from several readers. This isn't regarding timed / sequential injection. The problem does exist with Basic Trigger, in fact I can't test it on the bench with Toothed wheel because I don't have a jimstim, just a vanilla stimulator. I do see the problem on the car with toothed wheel configured (only a crank wheel for now, so still batch fire) and then I pulled the ECU out and hooked it up to my stimulator on the bench reconfigured for basic trigger to measure the different values between bank1 and bank2. So I am seeing the problem in both conditions toothed wheel and basic trigger.

This is an issue with Sequenced which the eyes can easily miss-read as sequential but this is *not* a sequential problem. This is a problem with sequenced batch fire.
So...Sequenced = Injector Staging
Help Note: Sets injector staging in non-sequential modes. For Sequential set 2 Squirts/Alternating or 1 Squirt/Simultaneous.
For 8 cyl, 1 Squirt is not allowed.
I've always been Basic Trigger, 4 squirts/Engine Cycle & Alternating Injection Staging but would never see a difference with only one wideband.
slow_hemi6 wrote:How about disallowing 4 or more squirts cause it's getting a bit old having to tell people not to use sequenced with 4 or more squirts.
Are you saying it should be changed to 2 Squirts?
I've never seen it mentioned until this thread & I've been on this Forum for over 3 years. You've been here for 13 years & should be getting tired of repeating it!
I think it gets lost because Sequenced is called Injector Staging.
rickb794 wrote:...I think it came up once in another thread that whenever you select timed injection it defaults to (or you should configure) 1 squirt?
Tried it, doesn't default to anything. Still can't select 1 squirt for 8 cyl, unless you set Injector Staging to Simultaneous

Found this table:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/tes ... 2-027.html
The table below shows the number of injection pulses per engine cycle computed by the code.
Engine = 8 cyl with no cam trigger
Without Staging/# Injection Pulses/engine cycle = 2
Without Staging/# Squirts/720 deg = 4
OR
Without Staging/# Injection Pulses/engine cycle = 4
Without Staging/# Squirts/720 deg = 2
Last edited by Blown88GT on Wed May 03, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

Blown88GT wrote:
seijirou wrote:

So...Sequenced = Injector Staging
Help Note: Sets injector staging in non-sequential modes. For Sequential set 2 Squirts/Alternating or 1 Squirt/Simultaneous.

I've always been Basic Trigger, 4 squirts/Engine Cycle & Alternating Injection Staging but would never see a difference with only one wideband.
Are you saying it should be changed to 2 Squirts?

For 8 cyl, 1 Squirt is not allowed.
Alternating effectively cuts the # of squirts per bank in half. You can have 1 squirt simultaneous, but you need 2 squirts for alternating which gives you 1 squirt per bank but not at the same time.

4 squirts per cycle alternating is 2 squirts per bank per cycle and the events are staggered bank to bank.

What's interesting about sequenced batch is that you can enable it at all with basic trigger. The tool tip mentions "same alignment with ignition event (cylinder)" but specific cylinder knowledge is not possible with basic trigger.

It is possible to know piston position on a profiled crank trigger, even if you don't know which exact cycle of the stroke you're on. If you use 1 squirt then it's useless because you still don't know if the squirt is happening on, for example, the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke both of which happen on the same ignition event so it's still random in that regard.

This is not a problem if you're going to use more than 1 squirt because there's then no distinction between the "leading" and "trailing" squirt.. you will always have one on each cycle for the same piston position. I.E. you'll get half your fuel on the compression and the other half on the exhaust stroke so it's irrelevant which of these is technically leading vs trailing.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you configure 4 squirts alternating, to give you 2 squirts per bank per cycle so that sequenced has the opportunity to actually matter then you end up with bad pulsewidth on Bank2 because there's a bug.

Without sequenced, especially on a V8, the timing of the squirts is somewhat random. Every time you start the engine it may align with the compression stroke of 1, 3, 7, or 2 (for our small block fords) which means for any one cylinder the degree of atomization vs pooling on the valve has a 75% chance of being different every time you start the engine. I should note that between these 4 cylinders even with sequenced the degree of atomization will be different between them, however whatever it is it will be fixed for that cylinder and won't change (and even though it isn't ideal, which is the job of "full sequential", consistent is still a lot better than inconsistent).

Sequenced batch is a cool idea and I'd like to take advantage of it but there appears to be 2 problems. 1. hemi discovered that with simultaneous injection and 4+ squirts the staggering has problems with regards to timing such that the separation is irregular and the distribution of pulsewidth from event event is irregular. 2. I discovered that with alternating and 4+ squirts the total pulsewidth for bank2 is being calculated incorrectly. At low commanded pw the real pw is far too high, and at high command pw the real pw is far too low.

So simultaneous 1 or 2 squirts for sequencing are the only options without bugs. 1 squirt sequenced is the same difference as 1 squirt not-sequenced as I explained above, so the only viable configuration where it could both matter and work is 2 squirts simultaneous using a profiled crank trigger.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

seijirou wrote:...
1. What's interesting about sequenced batch is that you can enable it at all with basic trigger.
2. The tool tip mentions "same alignment with ignition event (cylinder)" but specific cylinder knowledge is not possible with basic trigger.
3. ...if you configure 4 squirts alternating, to give you 2 squirts per bank per cycle so that sequenced has the opportunity to actually matter then you end up with bad pulsewidth on Bank2 because there's a bug.
4. So simultaneous 1 or 2 squirts for sequencing are the only options without bugs. 1 squirt sequenced is the same difference as 1 squirt not-sequenced as I explained above,
5. so the only viable configuration where it could both matter and work is 2 squirts simultaneous using a profiled crank trigger.
1. I see that. Shouldn't be allowed.
2. I'm having trouble finding the Tool Tip.
3. Got it.
4. Global Fuel Constant changes, if that matters.
5. or 2 squirts simultaneous using Basic Trigger?

Doesn't 4 & 5 affect the injector pulse width & injector dead time has a greater effect when there are more squirts per engine cycle.

4 alternating or 2 simultaneous gives the same Global Fuel Constant
Tool Tip: Use the ReqFuel calculator. (Technically related to a pulsewidth at 100%VE)

I will be testing 2 squirts simultaneous using Basic Trigger.
BTW, I actually found the published injector dead time for my Ford Motorsport (FRPP) 30lb injectors.
There are 2 variations of the FRPP 30 lb. Who knew that there are B302's & BB302's.
Older are "fat" EV1's, newer are "skinny" EV6's, both are Jetronic connector compatible.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=63795
Last edited by Blown88GT on Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I've updated the tooltip for the next beta to recommend that this feature is not used.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

jsmcortina wrote:I've updated the tooltip for the next beta to recommend that this feature is not used...
I think that's wise. These other members are very knowledgeable, look at all the testing they've done to prove it.
The Tool Tip would be under Squirts per Engine Cycle or Injector Staging?
Probably better under Squirts per Engine Cycle, since it now has no Tool Tip.
jsmcortina wrote:The tooltip says:
"Sequenced batch fire can be useful to give more repeatable engine operation. On every startup the batch firing is aligned to the same ignition event (cylinder). Without this feature the alignment is random."..
This is under Fuel Settings---Sequenced Batch Fire
Can it be used with Basic Trigger? The Help would indicate the answer is No.
Enable Sequenced Batch Fire
Sequenced batch fire can be useful to give more repeatable engine operation without sequential fuel. On every startup the batch firing is aligned to the same ignition event (cylinder) when a suitable tach-in signal is available (such as a toothed wheel.) Without this feature the alignment is random.