Porsche 944 msd mag wheel vr pickup help

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Porsche 944 msd mag wheel vr pickup help

Post by race2win »

ms2 v3.0 Ive tried doing as much research as I possible could and I cannot seem to get a rpm reading. Works with stim but not in the car so Im pretty sure I dont have something setup correctly. Using a VR msd magnetic trigger wheel on the crankshaft and have violet and green wire plugged into the megasquirt 2. I did follow all the steps for jumpers required for VR setup. Havent posted on a forum in years lol Im probably missing a bunch of information but if anybody can chime in and give me any idea Id greatly appriciate it! Thanks going to try adding a url of the trigger Im using. Was previously using with a FAST efi system.
https://images.msdperformance.com/8610.jpg

Thanks!!
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Porsche 944 msd mag wheel vr pickup help

Post by elaw »

:msq:

Specifically, along with your .msq file, take a composite log and post it here.

Have you set the VR pots inside the Megasquirt? If not, there's a great article on how to do that here: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... squirt-vr/
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

I did adjust the pods in the ms2. It was a unassebled board and I did the jumpers as well for the vr mode. I can upload the msq but not sure if a data file will do any good since I'm not running yet?? Well I should say what is a composite log file?? And how would I go about doing that? . I know nothing about these systems. I had wiring in a FAST ego in the car years ago and it seems some what similar but completely different at the same time if that makes any sense lol thank you for replying
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Yeah a regular log would not be much help. But there is a logging mechanism built into the system for just this kind of situation.

Here's what you need to do:
* Power up the car and connect to the ECU with TunerStudio.
* In TunerStudio, select the "Diagnostics & High Speed Loggers" tab (see the image below).
* Set "Logger type" to "Composite logger" and click "Start".
* Crank the car for a few seconds. Hopefully some data will appear in the graph window that's there.
* If data does appear, click the "File" button, select "Save current data to log", save to a file, and post that file here.
* If nothing appears in the graph window, let us know.
Eric Law

race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Okay going to give this a try when I get home this afternoon. I will also load the .msq.

Im not completely sure what ignition setting I need to be setup with. I did a search for msd 6a for megasquirt and found the configuration page looking like my ignition settings should be trigger wheel using rising edge.

If you have any input about this setting Id appreciate it.

I will get that log loaded up tonight. thanks again for the help
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Okay did as you said composite logger start log and I didn't get any data at all??
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Slight update... So changed spark setting and realigned my vr sensor now when cranking my rpm gauge moves.. inwent to composite logger to get some data for you but on the left hand side it just says. Empty read, no data received from controller
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

So it could be a settings issue... but it's hard to tell without being able to look at your .msq file.
Eric Law

race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

I was thinking that last night and was going to bring my laptop to work with me today and of course forgot it! I will get the msq uploaded tonight.

cranking speed shows a good 88-90rpm is typical for cranking speed? I know its going to be different motor to motor but curious thanks
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

seeing much more cranking rpm set the trigger at 20 degrees on the motor and 20 in the software

Im hooking up to a MSD 6a ignition box. Everything Im finding is telling me to use pin #36 Is this correct for msd ignition out?

Thanks
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Gah!

I just got done writing up a detailed post with some things to try then something occurred to me: I don't think that trigger wheel will work on your engine!

Assuming you've got the stock engine in the car, it's a 4-cylinder... but I bet you knew that already :lol:. A 4-cylinder engine fires once every half revolution of the crank. But your trigger wheel has 4 magnets so using only that wheel you can only fire every quarter revolution of the crank! My guess is that wheel is designed for an 8-cylinder engine.

The above is true unless you have a cam sensor. Then the ECU will have enough timing information to work with a 4-tooth wheel on the crank. Does your engine have a cam sensor?
Eric Law

race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

The magnet is designed for many applications but it setup with only 2 magnets in it 180 degrees from eachother I just seen this long write up maybe I need to take another look at my board and make sure I have these requirments

Using the MegaSquirt-II PCBv3 or V3.57

These will also work for an MS3 without the MS3X.

If you’re assembling your MegaSquirt-II from a kit (Part# MS230-K):

For the most part, stick with the standard assembly documentation and well cover any departures from that doc here.
Step 51: You’ll be installing the VR input circuit (currently all steps under 51). You do not need the components in step 50, although it’s handy to install them in case you ever use the Megasquirt on a different car (or decide to convert your Mopar to a ignition system that uses this circuit).
Step 52: Set the jumpers for VR input. That would be TachSelect to VRIN, and TSEL to VROUT.
Step 65: You will use IGBT High Current Ignition Driver Circuit. That means you complete step 65. Install everything just as this step directs you to (which does mean no R57) and install the jumpers to enable the circuit. (IGBTIN to JS10 and IGBTOUT to IGN).
That’s it!

sorry for my million post I know tuning and stuff so well but Im an idiot when it comes to these boards and this system lol, hopefully before a pro by the end of this build! lol
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Ah, okay, with two magnets you should be good.

Definitely check the hardware, but first under ignition options, set spark mode to "basic trigger" and see if that helps. RIght now you've got it set to "trigger return" which is a weird mode meant for use with a distributor. Technically basic trigger is too, but it seems more appropriate for your setup.

And definitely don't call yourself an idiot! One of Megasquirt's great strengths is the way it can be customized and configured to accommodate tons of different setups. But if you're not familiar with it, one of Megasquirt's drawbacks is the way it can be customized and configured to accommodate tons of different setups... because you have to make sure it's customized and configured correctly to work with your setup.
Eric Law

race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Boom not like engine just blew up but like check this bit of info out.

Think that will help!? Think that JS10 might be the ticket to see some spark? or am I just crazy?!
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Js10 empty... Hmmmm

I see rpm but not on that composite log any ideas??
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Mmmmmmmmmhhhmmm lol looks like more board work
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Your motor will run on Two pulses per revolution, however that is the bare minimum.

If this was my motor I would use a 36-1 toothed wheel.
Much better resolution and the MS is better able to calculate if the motor is speeding up or slowing down.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Thanks for the info I might make the switch if I continue having issues.

Do I really need to run a msd6a box or can I run ignition out pin 36 directly to the negative side of the coil?
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

race2win wrote:Thanks for the info I might make the switch if I continue having issues.

Do I really need to run a msd6a box or can I run ignition out pin 36 directly to the negative side of the coil?
nevermind just seen in the write up type of coil Im using I need a amplifier
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Keep in mind that the code can only know where the motor is in the 720 degrees of crank rotation when it sees a tooth. Between any two teeth, the the code using high speed timers and bases all calculations on how long it took between the last two teeth it saw. 12 teeth per engine revolution it just about as few teeth as I would consider. I went to lots of trouble and expense going from 12 to 20 teeth per engine revolution. 36 teeth per engine revolution is considered the standard in the MS world. You are at 4. It really is that big of deal.

Andy