Porsche 944 msd mag wheel vr pickup help

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Porsche 944 msd mag wheel vr pickup help

Post by race2win »

elaw wrote:Yeah a regular log would not be much help. But there is a logging mechanism built into the system for just this kind of situation.

Here's what you need to do:
* Power up the car and connect to the ECU with TunerStudio.
* In TunerStudio, select the "Diagnostics & High Speed Loggers" tab (see the image below).
* Set "Logger type" to "Composite logger" and click "Start".
* Crank the car for a few seconds. Hopefully some data will appear in the graph window that's there.
* If data does appear, click the "File" button, select "Save current data to log", save to a file, and post that file here.
* If nothing appears in the graph window, let us know.
I registered tuner studio and Log viewer!! I can now log trigger data so in the morning Im going to hook back up to the car and see what get far as cranking.. I know I need to do some more soldering on this board now to get my pin#36 sending a signal out to my msd to get some spark. I will update you tomorrow see how the logger file look well Ill upload it so you can take a peek see what you think! Thanks again for following and helping
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

updated my board to the images I posted yesterday and gave it a try I still dont see any spark... It should be using pin #36 now to fire the msd but still get nothing. I can take the whire wire that #36 is going to on the msd and make the msd fire manual so I know my msd box is good. Im just not getting anything on my #36 pin out any ideas or logs I can do to help out?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

So you have IGBTIN connected to JS10 and IGBTOUT connected to IGN?

Is Q16 installed? Is R43 installed or a jumper installed in its place (either should work)?

If Q16 is a BIP373 (will have a Bosch logo on it) I think you're also supposed to omit R57.

Are you getting a steady RPM signal when cranking? Did you set basic trigger in ignition options?
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Section 5.3.5 of TFM gives specific instructions on how to install a MSD ignition output.

Neither JS10 or a BIP373 is used in the recommended scenario....
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

elaw wrote:So you have IGBTIN connected to JS10 and IGBTOUT connected to IGN?

Is Q16 installed? Is R43 installed or a jumper installed in its place (either should work)?

If Q16 is a BIP373 (will have a Bosch logo on it) I think you're also supposed to omit R57.

Are you getting a steady RPM signal when cranking? Did you set basic trigger in ignition options?
Yes igbtin to js10 igbtout to ign

Q16 is now installed
It is bip373

My r57 is blank per assembly instruction

Not sure on the r47 gotta check

Yes steady cranking rpm
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

No R43 jumper
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Pic of the board I have the r43 res .010 3w solder that in or just a str8 jumper??
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

WE HAVE SPARK!! :yeah!: :yeah!: R43 did the trick... I went into test mode it worked... cranked the car over I see spark at the plug!!

now my only concern is cranking rpm.. few days ago not sure what setting i had for ignition but was showing about 88-90 consistent.. made a change was seeing about 220-225 rpm consistent... now on basic trigger Im seeing a initial spike of 220 then its holding 110-113 rpms... Im going to check my trigger out by the flywheel its not %100 so maybe it moved a little or somthing and not seeing a perfect signal... maybe I can get some logs now and I can get them posted up!

Thanks for everything so far.
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Good spark good fuel... no fire hhmm trying to play with the timing.. Is there any kind of logs I can be taking for anybody to take a peek at see it anything seems goofed up?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Timing is one thing you can't determine from a log since it relates to what physical position the engine is in (in its cycle) vs. what the Megasquirt thinks.

Basically you have to hook up a timing light and mess with the trigger angle until it's right.

And make SURE you do it with the fuse for the fuel injectors removed! Putting fuel into an engine and firing the spark at the wrong time can cause extreme badness.
Eric Law

whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Also add to what Elaw said, when you have the motor running, use a simple (non dialback) timing light to check that the timing is what you commanded in the timing table. I like to set the timing to say fixed 25 degrees and have a 25 degree timing mark on the harmonic balancer match.

This is critical as you rev the motor that the timing is always rock solid within a degree or two.

Andy
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Plugs spark out of the car! No spark in the car!? Verifying with a timing light any ideas??
race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

Okay well scratch all that.... I got it started!!! Lol think the trigger was a hair to far away from the wheel spark is good and it fired!! Super geeked thanks for all the help!

Would it still be worth switching over to a toothed wheel or stay where I'm at with the 2 flying magnets?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

That basically depends on how much timing inaccuracy you can tolerate when RPM is changing, and how fast the RPM changes.

Your setup only lets the ECU compute RPM twice per revolution, so if the engine is accelerating or decelerating rapidly there will be some timing error. A trigger wheel with more teeth allows RPM to be computed more frequently so the error will be less.

So if your engine has a heavy flywheel and you're not running it to 99.99% of its limit, or can afford to be conservative with timing, the "two-tooth wheel" is probably okay. If you're running a turbo with lots of boost and a 6-lb. flywheel, you're gonna want all the trigger wheel teeth you can get!
Eric Law

race2win
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by race2win »

How/where do I get started switching to these toothed wheels?? Is it still a VR sensor or is it now a Hall sensor how much nodding on my board will I need to do?? Thanks link for new sensor and wheels would be greatly appreciated!
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/sensor ... er-wheels/

There is lots of OEM stuff you can retrofit.
EDIS uses a 36-1 and is hugely used. Many MFGRs have gone to internal pieces.
Some attach or are a part of the flywheel, others attach to the accy drive end of the crank.
Sensors of either hall or VR design are available in many forms.
Is there an electronic version of your motor? What does Porsche use?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

This is what I did on my Honda. This trick would work on most any motor that has a stock Dizzy. I chose this option as it was easier that mounting the 36-1 on the front of the motor.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=65477

Andy