V3.57 ignition output

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

V3.57 ignition output

Post by Baggedgoods »

Does the pre assembled DIY 3.57 board use JS10 as a 5 volt ignition output to pin 36? If so, pin 36 could be connected to the signal wire of an external ignitor/power transistor correct?

Now if I connect a BIP373 to Q16, that would act as an ignitor and so pin 36 would then be connected to the negative side of the coil right? Just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I ruin anything
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: V3.57 ignition output

Post by dontz125 »

Preassembled and configured are two different things; depending on how it's ordered, there may or may not be a jumper there. The answer to your other questions is, "Yes." You can run a jumper from JS10 to Pin 3 of the Q16 (whether a BIP is installed or not); I would suggest including a 1N4148 diode (band toward the Q16) in the jumper to protect the processor pin from the Great Outdoors (tm). You could also run a jumper from JS10 to IgbtIn; in this case, include a 330 Ohm resistor as part of the jumper.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

I'm a little lost as to how to wire up the BIP373 on the 3.57 board. DIY says to jumper js10 from the center hole of q16 to IGBT IN. Other sources say to connect pin1 on the bip to the spark a output on pin 7 of the u1 circuit. And the 3rd pin to ground.

So it would go which way
BIP#1->spark a at pin7 of u1
BIP#2->center hole of q16
BIP#3->ground

Or

BIP#1->?
BIP#2->center hole q16
BIP#3->ground
JS10 jumped to IGBT IN instead of center hole to q16
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I think you've misread at least one set of instructions, and I have to confess to having made a mistake in my own post above.

If you're driving an external device that wants a weak 5v signal, be it a logic coil or an external driver, jump from JS10 or pin 7 to the center pin of Q16. This assumes there is nothing in Q16. A blocking diode and series resistor is strongly recommended as part of the jumper. Note that some logic coils need a lot more current to wake them up; more info would be required for intelligent commentary.

If you're driving an internal BIP, jump from JS10 or pin 7 to IgbtIn; a 330 Ohm resistor is needed as part of the jumper.
TTR Ignition Systems
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Now using the JS10 as the spark output (to IGBT IN). What would Pin1 and Pin3 be soldered to on the BIP373? I thought Pin1 would be the spark output (sparkA or JS10?) Pin2 would be to DB37 pin 36 and Pin 3 would be ground. I've seen some conflicting articles about how to wire it up. DIY seems to be the best to follow since it is their board.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The BIP is simply soldered into the position, with the 3 legs in the 3 holes. Pin 1 is the base, pin 2 connects to the DB37, and pin 3 is the ground. IgbtIn is simply a handy place to solder in a jumper wire, so you aren't trying to solder the wire directly to the BIP. It's easier to do, and less risk of damaging the transistor.
TTR Ignition Systems
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. So basically I can jumper JS10 or the right side of R26 to the IGBT IN?(with a 330 ohm resistor) Whether I want to use D14 or JS10 as my spark output. Would there be a way you would recommend hooking it up?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

JS10 is a holdover from the earliest days of the Extra code. With the current abilities for sequential injection and ignition, JS10 can have a lot more things to do than just be a spark output. By the same token, if you're ok with dizzy ignition and batch / semi-sequential injection, then it doesn't much matter.
TTR Ignition Systems
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Yeah, I don't plan on running sequential anything right now. I'll just hook up JS10 since there's already a jumper on the pin. Thanks a lot!
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

So I've wired everything up as it should be but I'm not getting a spark. I've got JS10 wired to IGBTin and the BIP373 soldered in. The board previously had JS10 wired into the middle hole of Q16. I'm about 90% sure that I had D14 as my spark output when I had the car running before I put the BIP in. I'm kind of confused as to how setting the spark output to D14 had the car sparking, yet JS10 was wired into the center hole of Q16. And before the bip installation, the car ran but for some reason, the MS wasn't controlling the timing. I have this board from DIY https://www.diyautotune.com/product/meg ... mbled-ecu/

I've confirmed that I'm getting 12v to the coil and every other related components.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

You fitted a mica insulation kit to the BIP373 and made sure there was no continuity from the tab to the heatsink?
What type of coil is it you have and how is it connected to the ecu?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Yes, I mounted the BIP to the heat sink with thermal compound on both sides of the mica insulator. I watched the transitor with the cover off while cranking and I didn't see any sparking from the board. Which tab are you referring to? And I'm running a stock 1985 Nissan 300zx coil. I have Pin 36 from the MS's DB37 wired to the negative side of the coil.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The BIP373's mounting tab is what I was talking about. Nylon screw or metal? Does the coil have power while cranking. Is the only thing connected to the coil's negative, pin36 from the MS? Have you got JS10 selected as sparkA output in ignition options. Are you getting rpm indicated on tunerstudio dash when cranking. Have you tried the output test mode in tuner studio? Post your MSQ tune file.
Cheers Luke
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Okay. Bip mount is a metal screw which came with the kit from diy. The coil has power while cranking. Pin36 is the only wire to the coil from MS. Js10 is the spark output. I've even tried switching to d14 and still no luck. I'm actually not sure how to run the test mode. I did check it out in Tuner studios but I wasn't sure what i was doing. I'll post up my tune later this afternoon. I'm on mobile lol
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

I have my tune prior to installing the bip373 here http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/127182- ... try1189748
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

Baggedgoods wrote:Okay. Bip mount is a metal screw which came with the kit from diy. The coil has power while cranking. Pin36 is the only wire to the coil from MS. Js10 is the spark output. I've even tried switching to d14 and still no luck. I'm actually not sure how to run the test mode. I did check it out in Tuner studios but I wasn't sure what i was doing. I'll post up my tune later this afternoon. I'm on mobile lol
With the metal Mounting screw there is a Nylon insulator that has to go under the screw head. And the Mica insulation has to go between the backside of the mounting tab and mount on enclosure. Do you have both the nylon screw insulator and the mica insulator installed properly. Metal tab on BIP373 must be fully isolated from chassis ground. Thermal paste, if used, must be non-conductive:

Picture of metal screw with nylon screw isolator and mica insulation:

Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

The screw has the nylon insulator as pictured. Everything is connected as pictured. The only thing I did not wire up was the 330 ohm resistor. DIY doesn't tell me to use it for the 3.57 board using js10. I've used cpu thermal compound which is not electrically conductive. I don't think the bip is touching the heat sink in any way. The solder on the pins are not touching one another so that's not an issue either.

The car was running and I even drove it for a minute to move it. Although, this was with the factory ecu still sort of piggybacked. I've now removed this from the car and wired up all the power wires to the components MS needs. I also have not tried starting the car since i removed my stock ecu. I only tried after i wired in the bip. So, maybe there could be some problem that the stock ecu removal caused, but i made sure when i was disconnecting everything, that i wouldnt need it.

My CAS is wired correctly. The coil has positive power while cranking and run. Pin 36 is going to the negative side of the coil. It seems this could be either an internal board problem or a tuner studios configuration problem.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Need an answer on this.
Are you getting rpm indicated on tunerstudio dash when cranking.
No rpm in signal = No spark out.
The only way to test around that is,
Have you tried the output test mode in tuner studio?
That would test the spark output, but if it tests ok, you would still need to correct any issue with not getting a rpm in signal.
Sometimes the heatsinks can have a burr on the hole that can defeat the mica, uncommon but the manual says to check for it.
Do you have any test gear like a multimeter or even a simple LED test light (not a globe type)
Cheers Luke
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Funny enough, I never watched for an rpm signal while cranking. I'll check that as soon as I get to the shop. I'm not familiar with the test mode or how it operates. I'm sure a quick Google search will shed some light on it. And yes, I've got a multimeter and a simple test light.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Cheers Luke