Turbo Harley tuning help?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Turbo Harley tuning help?

Post by mjhillen »

I have finally gotten all of the other issues worked out. Now im having an issue with my tune around 5K rpm. Can you guys look at my data log and provide me with suggestions, Please.
I have made changes to the VE table and gotten some positive results but haven't been able to resolve it completely.
I have noticed large AFR spikes. Not sure if its an EGO settings issue.
Im open to suggestions.
2004 Harley Road King TURBO 200+hp
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Turbo Harley tuning help?

Post by rickb794 »

Delphi or Magnetti throttle body?

You should not have EGO correction enabled while tuning.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mjhillen »

Delphi based system.
Ill disable the EGO correction and see how that reacts.

Anyone look at the datalog?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

The EGO isn't playing a part with the problem, I'd start looking for something wrong in your setup. Your rpm and map certainly are oscillating around along with big swings in AFR but the VE is relatively constant. The timing is oscillating as well but that normally wouldn't cause what I see, your timing table is certainly "undeveloped" so I'd take some time to smooth that out to see if it impacts the issue. That seems like a lot of timing for 7.5 lbs boost but I'm not familiar with a Harley and its needs, you might try less timing again to see if it changes the behavior.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Siamese'd intake one cylinder tends to rob the other, and this affect changes with RPM and throttle opening.
I'm pretty sure you need timed injection (& 1 squirt).
A bunch of work was done on this for the MG engines that have 5 port heads. (2 intake and 3 exhaust on a 4 cylinder head)
To get that you will need a cam sensor.

The Magnetti throttle body is individual runners and avoids this issue.

I also think the Delphi is a Speed Density/Alpha N blend, which I think you can get by using ITB mode.
But I'm not sure the timed injection works with that.
Last edited by rickb794 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

My gut feeling is that you have issues with your BOV or waste gate.

Andy
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

What Harley motor is this? The Sportys tend to send like 58% of the fuel from one injector. The Big Twins are not so bad.

Harley uses really big injectors from the factory apparently to keep pulse widths short.

Harleys need two different VE tables and two O2 sensors to sort this stuff out but turbos are hard on O2 seensors so I always thought you would need to sort out the low power stuff with two sensors and then go to one to sort out the boost fueling.

Sportys and VRods tend to be AN based fuel tables but most of the rest are SD.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Here is the fuel distribution plot on the right, from my NA Sporty.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/PctFuelFront.png

Andy
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Here is my Sporty idling in closed loop. This is ugly but that is how Harley wanted it to work.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/Spo ... edLoop.png

Andy
mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mjhillen »

whittlebeast wrote:What Harley motor is this? The Sportys tend to send like 58% of the fuel from one injector. The Big Twins are not so bad.

Harley uses really big injectors from the factory apparently to keep pulse widths short.

Harleys need two different VE tables and two O2 sensors to sort this stuff out but turbos are hard on O2 seensors so I always thought you would need to sort out the low power stuff with two sensors and then go to one to sort out the boost fueling.

Sportys and VRods tend to be AN based fuel tables but most of the rest are SD.
This is a twin cam, 98CID. I have added a polled cam sensor to allow for COP setting with dual coils(GM truck).
Im also running sequential injection. Im using the same 76# injectors as last season.
whittlebeast wrote:My gut feeling is that you have issues with your BOV or waste gate.

Andy

The waste gate and BOV are the same ones that i used last year with the stock ECM set up. I didnt have any issues with them. Im running a 23# spring and an Innovate BCS-1 controller.

One thing i have noticed in the datalog is a very lean spike on WOT. Not sure if ECM is overcompensating for the lean condition which is causing a very rich condition and vise versa?
mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mjhillen »

I have also noticed that if i pull the throttle back from WOT to about 90-95% it will gain RPM, but still doesnt completely clean up.
mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mjhillen »

elutionsdesign wrote: That seems like a lot of timing for 7.5 lbs boost but I'm not familiar with a Harley and its needs, you might try less timing again to see if it changes the behavior.
The timing may be a couple degrees advanced. I believe last season I would have been around 37-38* in those map cells. I am running VP ms109 fuel so it can take a lot but i may be off optimal at those settings.
mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mjhillen »

I pulled some timing and it seemed to make a small difference but still not there yet.
mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mjhillen »

Any ideas on an optimal INJECTION timing? and could this be a cause?
Right now, im at 90*

I found a few areas in the VE table that meed adjustments. Ill try that tonight.
Still open to other ideas.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I really need a BIG data log assuming the motor is running reasonable so we can see what the motor is doing. The log posted above does not contain enough data to see the patterns going on.

Andy
mjhillen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mjhillen »

Added data log