Cannot install firmware for first time

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Oplet
MS/Extra Newbie

Cannot install firmware for first time

Post by Oplet »

Hello everyone, I've gotten extremely frustrated with my ms2 lately. I had bought a kit with the v3.0 board to assemble and everything went well (From my limited knowledge anyway).

I started to try and install the firmware for the first time but even with the boot jumper on my daughter board jumping the bootloader pins my leds are constantly on, not flashing and then turning off like the assembly guide says. I cannot get the firmware to even detect my ECU and I'm absolutely stumped. I'm gravely afraid that I have a $500 paper weight now when I thought I had done everything correctly and being as careful as I can soldering everything together.

I'm using an Insignia™ NS-PU99501 adapter and I have done the loopback test and everything seemed good, so I don't think it's the adapter since the ecu itself isn't behaving how it should to be put in bootloader mode.

I'm hoping someone on here would know exactly what's going on or be able to at least push me in the right direction. Again, I'm completely stumped and I'm about out of options.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Cannot install firmware for first time

Post by DaveEFI »

Do you know anyone with an older desktop PC you could borrow? They have usually got a proper serial port which eliminates the USB-Serial adaptor, which often seems to cause this problem.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If you got your ms2 from DIY Autotune send an email to Matt. Years ago I got a daughtercard that would bring on and keep the 3 leds illuminated. There was an issue with the serial monitor on that one so it could not boot even from the jumper. Matt said he had seen it before on rare occasion.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Oplet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Oplet »

slow_hemi6 wrote:If you got your ms2 from DIY Autotune send an email to Matt. Years ago I got a daughtercard that would bring on and keep the 3 leds illuminated. There was an issue with the serial monitor on that one so it could not boot even from the jumper. Matt said he had seen it before on rare occasion.

I actually did get it from DIY. Do you happen to know what his email is?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

websales@diyautotune.com

If they are not able to help you, I will run it on my test bench for free.
Just include return shipping postage.

This is my brain on MegaSquirt
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Oplet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Oplet »

I've tried multiple usb adapters. I even bought a PCIe serial card to try. I just now tried the adapter that DIY says definitely works and I keep getting either no response or a garbled reply.

http://imgur.com/a/En93s - This is the response I get
Oplet
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Oplet »

Double post! Sorry!

Figured out the problem. Did not have 12 volts going to the ecu because of a switch I had connected to it inline which had a small led light.

I feel pretty dumb but I'm happy that it works now. Got the firmware loaded!