MS2 V3 Basic Trigger Tach Spike

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 V3 Basic Trigger Tach Spike

Post by rickb794 »

Is this a microSquirt?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

MS2
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Should I try the spark test mode?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Sure, Also check rotor phasing and if the coil has power when cranking.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

Just saw this but I'm also running MS2 on a TBI SBF with the MSD Billet Dizzy, firing coil directly (through MSD box). I had the same issue and got it to run, but now have a diff noise issue. I'll lay some things out below.

Are you running MSD 6AL? It has a tach output terminal on the side that is meant to drive a tachometer. I had ran this wire along my output wire from MS that drives the coil. This caused a noise issue where the car wouldn't fire, similar to yours. I disconnected the tachometer wire from the 6AL and now control it with the TACHO from MS. After this the car fired up and would idle/drive.

I noticed a problem after with random RPM spike as engine is running or cranking. I did some digging and found my VR Sensor wire is UNSHIELDED (my mistake when pinning/looming). My next plan is to remove the current VR wires and replace/repin shielded wires running to the sensor. I imagine this should solve my noise issue. The RPM spike keeps the car from using closed loop idle, interrupts VEAL momentarily, and will kill any control where there is a max rpm (I see spikes from 30-40k RPM LOL).

I get power directly from battery and ground at alternator case, which also connects to battery negative directly with a thick cable. I'm not sure if grounding ecu to battery would be any different for me at this point but it's an option in the future.
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Thanks for the reply it sounds like we are having similar issues. My initial plan was to run a MSD box, but I was having issues so I let the MS fire the coil directly without the MSD box and it worked well before I dropped my 351w in (I was also running on B&G code at that time so my motors have not yet run on extra code yet unfortunately) (only changes were the grounding points to the motor but I feel like the grounds are ok) I have the MS relay board grounded to the same point on the head as the battery (please correct me if this is wrong). I also have shielded wire that I need to incorporate with my dizzy VR sensor as I had it hooked up to a 36-1 wheel that I was not able to get signal on so I re wired for the basic trigger pickup until I can get my jimstim back to check for functionality. Here is my plan of action (I welcome opinions)
1- Check rotor phasing
2- Check if the coil has power when cranking
3- Try the spark test mode
4- Review my wiring focusing on power and grounds to make sure I haven't fudged things up. (inspect relay hearing audible clicking of relay from the MS relay box)
5- Have the battery tested to make sure its not bad (Cranking RPMs seem to be low)
6- Have the starter tested (Cranking RPMs seem to be low worried the starter is not up to the task on this solid roller motor.....maybe creating extra electronic noise)
7- New spark plugs (maybe just time to replace due to age and fouling)
8- Pull Hair out
9- Punch self in face
10- Set car on fire

Thanks again for trying to help, I welcome all advice and criticism.
Brad
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Hi 5.0 Thunder,

Quick question. Since you are running a similar ignition setup as me could you tell me how your board is jumpered for ignition output. I will check, but I am pretty sure I set my board up per DIYautotunes recommendations https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... tributors/ but I am wondering If I should just try to set up the outputs EXACTLY as the Hardware manual describes in 5.3.1.1 where the top of R26 is jumpered to IGBTin.

If the Hardware manual is the preferred way to set up the ignition outputs what do I select in Tuner Studio for Spark Output?

I may be off base here im just stumped to as why I am not getting any kind of spark output.

Thank you,
Brad R.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Section 5.3.5 of the manual is the supported method for triggering an MSD
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Hi Rick,

Im not triggering an MSD, im just using the MSD distributer. Can you confirm how I I should have the ignition output jumpered?

Jumper IGBTOUT-IGN.

- Connect a 330R 1/4W resistor between IGBTin and the top of R26.

- Ensure R57 is absent.

- Ensure R43 is fitted or jumpered

Do I still need to jumper -D14 to IGN? Without the MSD box?
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

I did the mod from the link for MS2 V3.57 (the ECU I have). This is slightly different from the V3.0 Board

If you’re modifying a DIYAutoTune.com MS2357-C MegaSquirt-II Assembled ECU:

Input Mod:
-You will be using the VR input circuit. Place the JP1 jumper in the 1-2 position, and J1 in the 3-4 position.

Output Mod:
-There will be a jumper wire from JS10 over to the center hole of Q16. Desolder and remove this from the center hole of Q16 (don’t just cut it, you’ll need the holes clear of solder).
-Install a BIP373 coil driver transistor in the Q16 slot.
-Install new jumper wires to enable the IGBT High Current Ignition Driver Circuit (IGBTIN to JS10)
-That’s it– you’ve got your Megasquirt-II Engine Management System fully prepared to wire up to the Mopar distributor pickup, and drive the stock coil directly using the BIP373.

The only difference is, I'm also driving a CDI box with the white 6AL wire instead of directly firing the coil. I'm now wondering if this is an issue since my circuit is modified to drive a coil directly. *borrowing your steps 8-10*
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

"The only difference is, I'm also driving a CDI box with the white 6AL wire instead of directly firing the coil. I'm now wondering if this is an issue since my circuit is modified to drive a coil directly."

I feel your pain, but it seems not to work very well either way firing a coil directly or thru an MSD box.
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

br1070 wrote:"The only difference is, I'm also driving a CDI box with the white 6AL wire instead of directly firing the coil. I'm now wondering if this is an issue since my circuit is modified to drive a coil directly."

I feel your pain, but it seems not to work very well either way firing a coil directly or thru an MSD box.
So you have V3.0 and did the correct mod for that board per the link? That should have done the trick for direct coil fire, and apparently it'll work with a CDI as well since mine runs. I'm thinking the modification likely isn't your issue. All the jumper plugs in the right locations? is the plug pinned correctly?
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Im going to review my jumpers this weekend, but the plug should be good as im using the relay board with diyautotunes relay cable.

I did notice in the useful tgings tho check before asking for help link it said not to isw the relay board, but for what im doing it should be ok....but theres always a but.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd unplug MS, leaving the cable from the relay board still connected to it, and check the power ground is separate from the sensor grounds.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Hi Dave,

Would i just be checking for continuity between the ground pins?

Brad
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Also make sure you have the correct end of the relay cable plugged into the ECU.

That cable is not reversible.

Please use this manual only http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V357_Hardware-3.4.pdf

or this manual for a v3.0 board http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

br1070 wrote:Hi Dave,

Would i just be checking for continuity between the ground pins?

Brad
You can do, as IIRC only one ground pin carries the sensor grounds on the relay board. Or just measure from a sensor ground to main ground on the relay board - they are marked sensor return. Or were on the very old relay board I've seen.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Hi Rick,

I will re configure my board per the hardware manual. Following the instructions in section 5.3.1 for 1 high current output the manual does not tell how to wire the spark output pin. How should i proceed? Would i set Tunerstudio up for JS10 or D14?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

br1070 wrote:Hi Rick,

I will re configure my board per the hardware manual. Following the instructions in section 5.3.1 for 1 high current output the manual does not tell how to wire the spark output pin. How should i proceed? Would i set Tunerstudio up for JS10 or D14?
If you connected the 330 resistor between IGBTin and the top of R26 you will use D14

NOTE: this should be indicated in the 5.3.1 typical settings as many may not realize the D14 R26 connection.
br1070
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by br1070 »

Ok thanks thats what i needed to know.