Just Purchased a used MS2

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MegaSlant6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Just Purchased a used MS2

Post by MegaSlant6 »

Hello

I have just purchased a 'used MS2' box and harness, Got it for 225.00 shipped,,
good or tough luck don't know,,and that is what I am asking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13718356@ ... 0904875071

1) the previous owner said it had not been updated in some time, is that an issue?
2) do I need a serial number or some user ID to get it updated ?
3) do I need a serial number or some ID as part of the install ?
3) I have limited experience with a MS3 Pro, I have a MS3 Pro installed and running fuel only on a drag race only mopar slant six in a 68 Barracuda, I plan to install the MS2 on a mopar slant six D150 that will be the tow vehicle,,is there much that overlaps from the MS 3 to the MS 2, or is doing the set up a different experience? I plan to use very similar throttle body, rail and injectors on the D150 that I currently have on the 68 Barracuda.
4) I am using a lap top to interface with the MS 3 Pro, can I use the same lap top to interface with the MS 2? I did not see a connection on the MS 2 harness for laptop, maybe I just messed it.
5) any other advice or lessons learned, more than welcome.

thanks
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Just Purchased a used MS2

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

MegaSlant6 wrote:Hello

I have just purchased a 'used MS2' box and harness, Got it for 225.00 shipped,,
good or tough luck don't know,,and that is what I am asking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13718356@ ... 0904875071

1) the previous owner said it had not been updated in some time, is that an issue?
2) do I need a serial number or some user ID to get it updated ?
3) do I need a serial number or some ID as part of the install ?
3) I have limited experience with a MS3 Pro, I have a MS3 Pro installed and running fuel only on a drag race only mopar slant six in a 68 Barracuda, I plan to install the MS2 on a mopar slant six D150 that will be the tow vehicle,,is there much that overlaps from the MS 3 to the MS 2, or is doing the set up a different experience? I plan to use very similar throttle body, rail and injectors on the D150 that I currently have on the 68 Barracuda.
4) I am using a lap top to interface with the MS 3 Pro, can I use the same lap top to interface with the MS 2? I did not see a connection on the MS 2 harness for laptop, maybe I just messed it.
5) any other advice or lessons learned, more than welcome.

thanks
1: Download the latets MSExtra Firmware and install. Should be no issues.
2: Nope
3A: Nope
3B: Tables and configurations are very similar. MS3 just has more options. Tuner Studio will automatically display the additional Options. I'm assuming you have the latest version of TS and the registered version?
4: MS2 and MS3 should use the same DB9 serial connector on the end of the box. You should be able to use the same Laptop interface. I looked at the picture of the unit you bought and the DB9 connector is there.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

You can connect to as many MS ECUs as you need to from the same laptop. You will just set up different projects for each ECU.

The MS2 will require an RS232 to USB adapter. Do yourself a favour here and get one based on an FTDI cable, they are the only ones that I have found that work reliably.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

For hardware questions see http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V357_Hardware-3.4.pdf

Don't know what you are using to access the MS3 but the less USB cable there is the better.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/usb ... nerstudio/
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

A nice used Laptop with a serial Port can be picked up for peanuts. I use a Dell-630 with XP pro . It's actually a very nice machine. And it was free. Bonus!! When tuning with older Laptops, always run an AV program, but turn it off when tuning. AV programs are the biggest users of background resources and aren't needed when tuning. Plus thye suck the battery life down quicker.

I used to use Avira for a free AV, but thye dropped support for XP. Panda is a good alternative and it's light on resources. So you can use it for surfing the Internet.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

You can't say old laptop and battery life in the same sentence without Groucho eyebrows!

The same laptop you are using to access your MS3 will work fine.
Just make a new project for the MS2. TS will need a network connection or you will need to point it at the proper .ini file for the MS2 firmware.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
MegaSlant6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaSlant6 »

Much Thanks,

good info
turbogrill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by turbogrill »

And if your laptop doesn't have USB search for USB-2920 on Amazon. Costs nothing and seems to work great.
MegaSlant6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Just Purchased a used MS2 and a couple more questions

Post by MegaSlant6 »

and actually I have a few more questions

comparing what I found on the MS site:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13718356@ ... 3002155186

1) where the pencil points, what is that plug in module
2) where the ball point pen points, why no white connectors
3) where the sharpie points, what is that screw in connector

4) and lastly,, I bought this MS2 from a guy that I have bought from before, however he is in another state a couple hundred miles away, and I probably won't install this MS2 till next winter,, How do I know it is good? I trust the seller but I would also know going into an install using used electronics, the ECU functions,, is there a way to test prior to install?

thanks
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Pencil points to MS2 processor daughter card.
I think the connector you are talking about would be on the V3.0 board and this is a v3.57. Unless you are talking about the nylon bolts for the MAP sensor. You would have to look on the other side to see that.
The sharpie is pointing to a BIP373 ignition coil driver.
A stim is the normal bench test device. You could power it and connect to tuner studio but you will not get much without sensors or an rpm signal.
The MS2 V3.57 hardware manual is here http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... e-3.4.html
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke