4.9 no iac first start help

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

4.9 no iac first start help

Post by twinturbor »

I'm new to megasquirt and am having some issues getting my truck to start. its an 89 f150 with a 4.9 straight 6. i have an aftermarket tb on it without an iac. i cant get this thing to do anything more than foul out plugs and im at my whits end. it has stock injectors and im using the on board map for the ecu. i don't want an iac to fiddle with so i have opened up the tb some to get air in the motor and re calibrated the tps. any help with getting a base map so that its just getting the throttle plate dialed in would be great.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 4.9 no iac first start help

Post by rickb794 »

No msq? What is your fuel pressure? What injectors?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

I'm running ms2extra and my fuel pressure is 60 due to the fact no other fuel regulator for a ford will fit this thing. I also kept the 12#hr injectors in for startup hoping it would be a little easier for the initial tune
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

Also its the 3.57 board
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

Not sure if it matters right now or not but this has a gt35 turbo and a very ported head
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Injectors are small even without turbo. 60 lbs is high (not for boosted though).
What is boost target?
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

What came with 12# injectors?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

How many injectors?
Injector impedance?
Last edited by rickb794 on Tue May 09, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

6 x 12# is only good for about 75hp plus some for the increased fuel pressure.
That motor was around 200hp stock?
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

twinturbor wrote:I'm new to megasquirt and am having some issues getting my truck to start. its an 89 f150 with a 4.9 straight 6. i have an aftermarket tb on it without an iac. i cant get this thing to do anything more than foul out plugs and im at my whits end. it has stock injectors and im using the on board map for the ecu. i don't want an iac to fiddle with so i have opened up the tb some to get air in the motor and re calibrated the tps. any help with getting a base map so that its just getting the throttle plate dialed in would be great.
Please post your tune and a log file.

Will it fire at all or does it only crank?

Have you verified spark timing yet?
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

They are high om. Injectors.and And i have some 36# injectors for the turbo set up. I am only trying to her a startup map dialed in before I swap out for the big injectors. In only going to run 9psi this summer then play with the HP this winter. I don't have a way to send a catalog but I will send a screenshot of my map when I get home. The truck tried to fire but its too rich to run. The trigger wizard says in at 19 degrees advance right now
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

twinturbor wrote:They are high om. Injectors.and And i have some 36# injectors for the turbo set up. I am only trying to her a startup map dialed in before I swap out for the big injectors. In only going to run 9psi this summer then play with the HP this winter. I don't have a way to send a catalog but I will send a screenshot of my map when I get home. The truck tried to fire but its too rich to run. The trigger wizard says in at 19 degrees advance right now
Trigger wizard doesn't mean anything, you need to find the real timing with a timing light and then use the trigger wizard to make real timing match commanded timing (what use for fixed timing or what you have in the table).

if it tried to fire at least it has spark.

You can floor the gas pedal to lean the mixture out to help it start up. Too rich to start doesn't always mean too rich to run, pressing WOT after 2 seconds of cranking will help it fire if you have too much cranking pulsewidth.

Don't need screen shots. Save the tune, find the .msq file and post that here as an attachment.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

You should read http://www.msextra.com/forum-info Then you will be posting what we need to see.
You are running some form of basic trigger, as you have the trigger wizard.
The Manual says that trigger angles between 16BTDC and 54BTDC are disallowed and must not be used.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

i hope this is what you needed. im not very tech savy. i will say that the engine ran great until i messes with the ecu. i tried to data log but i couldnt find it once i tried to look at it
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

maybe this is it
seijirou
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seijirou »

I find priming pulse causes more problems than it solves, but setting it to 0 stops the fuel pump from priming. I would set all values to 0.1

Your cranking pulse% is pretty high. Maybe try 180 = 85, 170 = 90, 150 = 95, 126.9 = 100, and all the rest = 140.

You have idle control turned on. If you don't have an idle valve, set idle valve type to none.

Are you using PWM injectors and if so, are you sure those settings are right? 75% current limit with 25.6ms threshold just seems really out of left field to me.

If those are typical Ford high impedance then set PWM current limiting off, and a dead time of 0.9 with battery correction of 0.110 will probably work better. That will lean your tune a little but it doesn't sound like it's really dialed in yet so maybe nothing lost there.
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

thank you very much! i will try that out and see how it goes
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I see a sync loss coinciding with a drop in battery voltage and a corresponding rise in CLT and MAT in a repeating pattern.

Battery voltage is falling off causing sync loss and rpm drops to zero.
twinturbor
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by twinturbor »

i had a bad starter that was sucking everything dry. it has a new one now. the last settings i changed definitely helped but it still wont run. here is the latest and greatest failure on my part.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

That last msq you posted still showed an 18 degree trigger angle. That is in the disallowed trigger angle range, ie. spark won't work right.
If you are going to run a basic trigger distributor it is all about trigger angle and rotor phasing. Both need to be correct or you will have problems.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke