Sequential Injection Issue

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Sequential Injection Issue

Post by okubricko »

Working on getting my MS2 v3.0 up and running. I had a +12v wire touch one of my injection drivers and smelled something had fried. The issue I'm having is that my #1 & 2 +5v injector signals are not working, but my #3 & 4 injector signals are working. I've followed the sequence of troubleshooting in the following article;

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... or-driver/

but I'm not sure if these even have any play with sequential injections. I guess I'm trying to figure out why 3&4 would work but not 1&2.. Any troubleshooting advice?
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Sequential Injection Issue

Post by lotus23C »

Can't help much, but I had a faulty ms2 daughter board and inj 2 didn't work at all. I ended up simply jumping inj3 onto 2 and that mod has gone OK since - except, obviously it isn't sequential anymore. Have also had issues with a couple of surface mount injector drivers staying on (peminantly), that seems reasonably common.
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

okubricko wrote:Working on getting my MS2 v3.0 up and running. I had a +12v wire touch one of my injection drivers and smelled something had fried. The issue I'm having is that my #1 & 2 +5v injector signals are not working, but my #3 & 4 injector signals are working. I've followed the sequence of troubleshooting in the following article;

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... or-driver/

but I'm not sure if these even have any play with sequential injections. I guess I'm trying to figure out why 3&4 would work but not 1&2.. Any troubleshooting advice?
The two injector drivers are totally separate. It rather depends just where that rogue 12v touched as to what is fried. Sequential or batch isn't going to make any difference to that.

I'd first remove the daughter board carefully and put to one side. Power up MS (via a 1 amp fuse) and do comparative voltage checks between the two drivers, starting at the output transistor and working backwards. Connect a small load to each injector driver outputs (and +12v) Something like 100 ohms or so.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

At this point I'm thinking that is may be the daughter card. My thinking is that with sequential injection the signal for the injectors is originated in the processor. I should be able to meter the processor pins and see the signal? Trace 2 on the processor is for INJ1, Trace 4 is for INJ2 and Traces 3 and 7 which were originally for PWM1 and PWM2 get turned into INJ3 and INJ4?

Would it be possible that only a small part of the processor was damaged?
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

Can anyone explain to me how the signal is generated to fire the injectors when using sequential? Is it coming directly from the chip on the daughterboard? thanks.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

You don't use (or you will have to duplicate) the on board injector driver's. All 4 need to be identical circuits. Most will install a quad driver board like a JBPERF.COM board.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

okubricko wrote:Can anyone explain to me how the signal is generated to fire the injectors when using sequential? Is it coming directly from the chip on the daughterboard? thanks.
Yes, cpu pins 2, 3, 4 & 7.
Inj1 is factory connected to daughter board pin 40 and Inj2 is factory connected to DB pin 39. Pwm1 you add a link from U2 pin1 to DB pin 4 to complete and Pwm2 you add a link from U2 pin 4 to DB pin 5 to complete. You should have removed all the clock circuit components as well if you are doing the seq mod.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... .4-56.html
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
okubricko
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by okubricko »

Rickb794 - It seems like all sales of Jean's stuff on JBperf have been suspended. I much would have preferred that solution, but since I couldn't get one I went forward with building my own drivers from a thread I found on this forum.

Hemi6 - The mods you mentioned were already done. After talking to Jean it seems that I have fried a portion of the cpu on the daughterboard. I either need to purchase a new one or have it repaired.